PDA

View Full Version : Can DisplayPort unseat HDMI in consumer market?

zatoicchi
28.07.08, 06:24
As High Definition (HD) technology continues to advance in the consumer electronics and display arenas, so does the penetration of the High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) interface technology for connecting HD devices. While the DisplayPort alternative shows some promise, can it or any technology rise up to challenge HDMI?

Consumers love HD video products like flat-panel televisions and Blu-ray DVD players. However, consumers did not love the legacy approach that electronics manufacturers have used to interconnect such devices, including hard-to-use connectors and bulky cables.

The answer was HDMI, which was immediately embraced by consumers and OEMs alike in both the PC and consumer markets because of its relative ease of use.

"HDMI as a technology is relatively young, with first-generation solutions only becoming available in 2003," said Randy Lawson, senior analyst for digital TV and display electronics at iSuppli. "Despite this, the technology has quickly become the interface of choice for Blu-ray players, flat-panel HD televisions, video-game consoles and even PCs. Since the release of HDMI 1.0, the interface has grown to be included in more than 70% of digital televisions sold worldwide in 2007 and is consolidating its domination of DVD players and digital set-top-boxes."

Can DisplayPort unseat HDMI in consumer market? (http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20080725PR202.html)

Aurion
28.07.08, 18:44
"Consumers love HD video products like flat-panel televisions and Blu-ray DVD players. .." yeah I do that myself,I wonder how my boxes turn bright when getting my volume to 100% ?!! :biggrin: really,a very decent sound card I got,HD is amazing tho regarding sound cards especially that they come built-in in most of the MBs aroud lately !! about Blu-Ray players,didnt know that they do offer such products,I got to check one of them soon for sure :top:

anon
28.07.08, 19:07
It's like VGA vs. DVI to... plug your monitor into your computer :tongue:

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:10
It's like VGA vs. DVI to... plug your monitor into your computer :tongue:

but I dont think HD is capable to go deeper than that regarding VGA drives productons since the market is already @ war scenarios Nvidia vs. ATI (IMO HD will be crushed like a fly)

anon
28.07.08, 19:12
Was just giving an example :biggrin:

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:16
LOL that was a fast one :biggrin: