PDA

View Full Version : Anomos project aims to develop anonymous Bittorrent

zatoicchi
25.07.08, 12:11
Looks like the folks from the Pirate Bay aren't the only ones that want to secure P2P through encryption: Two developers by the names of Rich Jones and John Schanck have been working on a new P2P protocol that combines encryption with a degree of anonymity.
The Anomos protocol is based on Bittorrent, but it enhances the popular P2P protocol with end to end encryption and a routing mix network, meaning that data packets are routed through a number of relays before finally reaching their destination. The duo used the recent HOPE conference for a first public presentation. You can watch a somewhat non-technical video with a way to long pre-roll ad about the project below.

The Anomos website features a more technical overview of Anomos. There's no code to download yet, but the Anomos developers are promising a working alpha client for the next couple of weeks.

http://www.p2p-blog.com/item-777.html

anon
25.07.08, 15:45
it's a good idea :wink: now let's see how much adoption it gains, anonymous protocols spend a lot of your bandwidth in encryption overhead so you need a very fast connection to be able to max it out, you know...

Aurion
25.07.08, 16:55
"...meaning that data packets are routed through a number of relays before finally reaching their destination" hey anon,I guess our project has been adopted by some experts,so now lets rest & let them do that job :tongue: if they really made it,I guess some bittorrent client companies shoudl collab with them

anon
25.07.08, 18:16
haha you're right! but this goes to the next level and proxies ALL traffic through chains of nodes :wink:

Aurion
26.07.08, 15:39
haha you're right! but this goes to the next level and proxies ALL traffic through chains of nodes :wink:

which will give nearly 90% anonymouse (that what everyone would ever need to anti-shaping process run by most ISPs now) :top:

anon
26.07.08, 18:16
(that what everyone would ever need to anti-shaping process run by most ISPs now)

that's right too, it becomes very harder for ISPs to know you're P2Ping because of the encryption; to throttle traffic they'd need to resort to closing/RSTing connections that use lots of bandwidth for a determinate amount of time (like Comcast did :mad2:), which may very well be a normal HTTP download... = lose all customers :biggrin:

Aurion
26.07.08, 20:52
LOL u are absolutely right,this what made Comcast pretend war against p2pers & actually there would be a long list of pulled out customers who already got fed of traffic throttling :biggrin:

anon
26.07.08, 20:58
hehe ;)

The bad things about anonymous P2P are the encryption overhead problem I have mentioned before (unless you have a FAST connection :smile:), and, in some networks, the low amount of files and users :frown:

Edit: is anomos.info (the project's webpage) down for you, by the way? I get a "Error establishing a database connection" error when trying to access it :/

Aurion
26.07.08, 22:42
yeah but that wont be a problem later I guess,they will try to shape & limit down the encrypted data being used to overcome web access (in other words being anonymouse)

@ anomos.info is up & running for me normally

anon
26.07.08, 22:45
The site works fine for me too now. Must have been a temporary failure.

Aurion
26.07.08, 22:49
damn,I've just watched the video once again and man he is so confident with himself already knowing that "Inet surfing should be free for any p2per" hi words lol :biggrin:

anon
26.07.08, 22:54
Well, Internet surfing should be free for any P2Per :biggrin:

Edit: Heh, this barely looks like an announce request (IP 127.0.0.1!?):

http://anomos.info/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/anomostracker-encrypted.png

And that's very good :tongue:

Aurion
29.07.08, 01:58
LOL it looks messy from the inside for an announce request :tongue:

anon
29.07.08, 18:56
And that's good. :wink: If it didn't start with "GET /announce..." I wouldn't even know it's an announce request myself, and I guess it'd take a while before throttling/monitoring equipment did :top:

Aurion
31.07.08, 16:30
I guess,its awesome for them to view their announce like this (if that pic is not the normal announce for any client) its just they have to wipe out that word Get/Announce so that they go fully encrypted :top:

vDD+wR
31.07.08, 18:11
wow , this sounds like heaven!
i can't wait to see it working just fine!:top:

but anon, when you say
The bad things about anonymous P2P are the encryption overhead problem I have mentioned before (unless you have a FAST connection )
what is in yours eyes a slow connection? you think a 2-6 mbit connction would be enough to compensate the overhead?
it would a true tragedy if they would release a working build of the software and only a small amount of people out there could use it in connection with p2p...

hey anon,I guess our project has been adopted by some experts,so now lets rest & let them do that job

maybe they read your posts and were inspired through your work:biggrin:
would be a big compliment, i think!:smile:

anon
31.07.08, 18:52
but anon, when you say
what is in yours eyes a slow connection? you think a 2-6 mbit connction would be enough to compensate the overhead?

Yes, it would be :top: I was talking about "slow" 1 or 2 Mbit lines, where encryption overhead can be up to 40% of the connection's capacity... :frown:

maybe they read your posts and were inspired through your work:biggrin:
would be a big compliment, i think!:smile:

Maybe, heh! :biggrin: But I'm not the only one with the idea of "anonymous P2P" :biggrin: Anyway someone taking inspiration from the semi-anonymous tutorial to make to a bigger project would be nice :klatsch_3:

Aurion
31.07.08, 21:04
anon u sleezy bastard :smile_rofl_2:

anon
31.07.08, 21:07
What was the point of that? :biggrin: (I know it's a joke :top:)

Aurion
31.07.08, 21:08
What was the point of that? :biggrin: (I know it's a joke :top:)

nothing its just that you said : "Anyway someone taking inspiration from the semi-anonymous tutorial to make to a bigger project would be nice" :biggrin: (sorry its a joke u know)

divlord
04.07.09, 02:51
Beta version is available, you might wanna check it out
Anomos is Freedom! Downloads (http://anomos.info/wp/downloads/)