PDA

View Full Version : WD's new 10,000 RPM 2.5-inch drives still aren't for laptops

zatoicchi
25.07.08, 12:02
Despite reducing power consumption by 35 percent, Western Digital's new 10,000 RPM 2.5-inch hard drives won't be making an appearance in laptops. The updated VelociRaptor line, with capacities up to 300GB, are designed for 1U and 2U servers.

The new VelociRaptor drives sport a SATA 3 Gb/s interface with 16 MB cache, technology that optimizes the drive if there is vibration, and a reliability rating of 1.4 million hours MTBF. WD is going after a new market for smaller drives in servers, where 3.5-inch drives were previously the norm.

The drives offer 4.2ms read times and 4.7ms write times, with 0.7ms track-to-track seek time. Transfer rates are 120MB/second, and the drive has an average latency of 3ms.

"WD's new WD VelociRaptor, designed specifically for the enterprise in an energy efficient 2.5-inch form factor, gives system OEMs and end users a new storage option to consider to meet growing storage requirements," commented IDC's research director for hard drives John Rydning.

WD's new 10,000 RPM 2.5-inch drives still aren't for laptops (http://www.betanews.com/article/WDs_new_10000_RPM_25inch_drives_still_arent_for_la ptops/1216932719)

anon
25.07.08, 14:23
well yes, 10000 RPM didn't exactly sound battery-friendly...

zatoicchi
26.07.08, 10:42
hopefully they will have all the bugs work out,,hoping for a hard drive upgrade.

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:48
its a strange thing why always new products just take a longer time to appear in notebooks ? I guess this has something to do with the market itself,since I dont think that its hard to build the same core for a laptop (its a point of smaller/slimmer size)

anon
26.07.08, 19:28
well i'm not a laptop hardware developer, but i'm sure there's a bit more to doing so than making products fit inside one, and that it isn't that easy :smile:

Aurion
28.07.08, 13:28
sure it is not !! but at least after a couple of years of releasing a certain product for PCs you find out that they just released it for notebooks (and this what pisses off laptop users I guess :tongue:)

anon
28.07.08, 17:57
(and this what pisses off laptop users I guess :tongue:)

because there's a delay until it's available for you, and (in most cases :tongue:) an extra delay unless its price decreases and you're able to buy it

Aurion
29.07.08, 13:00
yeah true,this is the core of the problem I guess,if they managed to lower its price @ release date,most users would be able to at least officially buy new versions on an exclusive basis :biggrin: