PDA

View Full Version : Librarians want to turn us all into privacy fiends

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 10:10
The American Library Association is raising more than a million dollars to fund a new "Right to Information Privacy Campaign" with a goal of nothing less than getting Americans "to recommit to information privacy."

Librarians might not be the group you'd first imagine out in the streets, manning the barricades, but they can get pretty agitated about both censorship and privacy. (Note: never tell a librarian that you'd like to ban a particular book unless the two of you are separated by an inch of plexiglass.) In this case, the 64,000 librarians of the ALA believe that their work remains vital to a vibrant democracy, since "the right to read and search for information is the foundation of individual liberty."

The ALA's new campaign wants to 1) educate people, and then 2) turn them into activists. The education component of the three-year program will make people aware, for instance, that "checking out a biography of Osama Bin Laden could prompt seizure of their library records" or that "online searches create traceable records that make them vulnerable to questioning by the FBI." The ALA also worries about provisions in the law that "gag" the people who are on the receiving end of government orders to turn over these records.

Librarians want to turn us all into privacy fiends (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080723-librarians-want-to-turn-us-all-into-privacy-fiends.html)

Aurion
24.07.08, 18:10
nice to have such a committee in ur country zat :top: u would guarantee certain privacy rights (at least no anti-p2p organization would sue u for using torrents :tongue:)

anon
24.07.08, 21:05
"turn us all into privacy fiends"

well everyone has the right to privacy :wink:

Aurion
24.07.08, 21:25
Yeah but u know with the existing of MPAA & RIAA privacy became a fantasy :confused2: hope they stop doing this one day

anon
24.07.08, 21:48
http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5984/riaaftliq8.gif

Aurion
25.07.08, 17:47
hehe anon,this was BIG :biggrin: they deserve it anyway :top:

anon
25.07.08, 18:26
well, i put what i thought in a picture, isn't that what art is about? :cool2:

Aurion
26.07.08, 15:29
well, i put what i thought in a picture, isn't that what art is about? :cool2: