PDA

View Full Version : SanDisk won't specify Vista SSD problems, but is 'working with Microsoft'

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 05:56
Amid complaints that Windows Vista is hurting the development of solid state drives, SanDisk now says it is working with Microsoft to optimize SSDs for "the Windows experience." But the company refused to provide details of Vista's problem, and Microsoft seemed unaware of the collaboration.

In a statement to BetaNews today, Richard Heyes, who heads up SanDisk's SSD Business Unit, didn't elaborate on the areas of optimization, although he did talk about SSD performance on "full-featured" operating systems such as Windows Vista vs. "simple" systems such as XP Starter Edition -- and he predicted that operating systems in general will become more "SSD aware" in the future.
Heyes' e-mail came in response to a request from BetaNews for more information about complaints raised by SanDisk Chairman and CEO Eli Harari during the company's second-quarter earnings call on Monday.

As reported by BetaNews on Tuesday, Harari criticized Microsoft's Vista for slowing down the progress -- and, in turn, adoption -- of SSDs.

"Unfortunately, [SSD] performance in the Vista environment falls short of what the market really needs and that is why we need to develop the next generation, which we'll start sampling end of this year, early next year," Harari said without providing any technical explanation.

SanDisk won't specify Vista SSD problems, but is 'working with Microsoft' (http://www.betanews.com/article/SanDisk_wont_specify_Vista_SSD_problems_but_is_wor king_with_Microsoft/1216851132)

anon
24.07.08, 22:08
"operating systems in general will become more "SSD aware" in the future."

i think they're already ssd aware, OSes just need to carry on better with it. in the meantime we'll just have to disable superfetch and the paging file :smile:

zatoicchi
25.07.08, 11:29
typical business, when it does not work properly put the blame on someone else..

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:06
"and Microsoft seemed unaware of the collaboration." LOL I feel like BG is drunk & doesnt know what deals his company makes with other firms :tongue:

anon
26.07.08, 18:51
I feel like BG is drunk

LOL :D and so is Steve ballmer? :wink:

Aurion
28.07.08, 21:22
LOl yeah some times when you get way rich you forget what words u actually said to other folks especially when dealing in busines (at this case,its a Global High Risk Business) :tongue:

anon
28.07.08, 21:24
LOl yeah some times when you get way rich you forget what words u actually said to other folks

Then when they're going to give a speech, put a small "cheat sheet" below the microphone or taped to your glass of water, to know who who they're talking to are and what was it that you last told them ^^

Aurion
28.07.08, 21:45
Then when they're going to give a speech, put a small "cheat sheet" below the microphone or taped to your glass of water, to know who who they're talking to are and what was it that you last told them ^^

LOL those people do their conference in open air I guess where no people can know what they are talking about :tongue: