PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft turns to users for new wave of Xbox games

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 11:03
SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp will turn to users of its Xbox 360 to create new video games and broaden the types of games available on its console, taking a page out of the strategy books of Facebook and YouTube.

The world's largest software maker said on Tuesday that it will start selling "user-generated" games later this year on its online Xbox Live service and share up to 70 percent of revenue with the game developer.

Microsoft began offering game production tools in 2006 to amateurs and hobbyists under an initiative called "XNA," which allowed developers to create a game that could run on the Xbox, a Windows-based computer or its Zune media player.

User-created content is the backbone of many advertising-supported Web sites such as Facebook and YouTube, but the video game industry has relied mostly on deep-pocketed developers to create sequels or games based on licensed properties.

Microsoft turns to users for new wave of Xbox games (http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2145896520080722)

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:38
that was a good move tho but there is something important that should be done to ensure those games are really worth buying.Its that MS should reedit those games (kinda play them first,see if they are quality or not,add some enhancements if required ...etc) just to make sure those games are professionally

anon
26.07.08, 19:03
who knows, maybe someone who made his first small game and sold it on Xbox Live ends up being a professional game developer at Microsoft... :smile:

Aurion
28.07.08, 21:06
yeah actually,that might happen tho but not a big change since its kinda hard u know to learn games developing by just post some of ur art works :tongue: (needs lots of work & programming language skills)

anon
28.07.08, 21:08
(needs lots of work & programming language skills)

Of course so it is, that was just a small possibility :smile: And if I was a dev and my game sold well on Xbox Live, I think I'd be happy enough with knowing people around the world are playing my creation :biggrin:

Aurion
28.07.08, 21:10
yeah LOL self-oriented person approach !! anyway,maybe some day we will find u working for MS anon :biggrin:

anon
28.07.08, 21:12
Well, maybe... if I learn to code; then it'll be awesome to get paid to do something I enjoy :biggrin:
Or at Google :wink:

Aurion
28.07.08, 21:14
Well, maybe... if I learn to code; then it'll be awesome to get paid to do something I enjoy :biggrin:
Or at Google :wink:

yeah sure it would be awesome to do that ofcourse !! its just a matter of time till some one gets noticed :tongue: