PDA

View Full Version : Sony’s amazing crapware-free PC

zatoicchi
22.07.08, 05:50
Sony is finally taking on its crapware problem. For the past two months, I’ve been using an astonishingly light and agile Sony VAIO notebook and loving every minute of it. The best part of all was that this machine was absolutely, completely, unequivocally crapware-free, which meant I was able to be productive within a few minutes of unboxing.

That’s a huge switch for Sony, which has taken a beating as “the poster child for negative experiences” with new PCs running Windows Vista. And it was a happy surprise for me. When I wrote about my hands-on experiences with two older VAIO notebooks earlier this year, I called it a “truly miserable experience.” It took a crapware-cleansing clean install to fix a 2007-vintage Sony notebook, and I spent hours replacing outdated drivers and removing unwanted software from a 2008 model (if you haven’t read that installment, see Fixing Windows Vista, one machine at a time).

Sony’s amazing crapware-free PC
(http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=501)

anon
22.07.08, 17:26
LOL at "crapware free". at least they're being honest :tongue: but to be sure i'd install that Windows XP for asus EEE pcs you can find in mininova ^^

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 07:18
the concerns should be more about the battery then the crapware.. LOL

anon
23.07.08, 20:35
somehow they are... less unneeded soft and services running = more battery-friendly :biggrin:

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 08:58
more battery

yea,i dont want it exploding and burning my house down ..that would suck big time..

anon
24.07.08, 15:39
yea,i dont want it exploding and burning my house down

LOL :biggrin: well if a battery "explodes" don't expect anything like in a hollywood film but you'll end up with lots of battery juice all over your b0x :tongue:

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:16
"...I was able to be productive within a few minutes of unboxing." I guess this is the core of any good notebook since lots of them are just crap lately

anon
26.07.08, 18:41
too bad the article's author didn't say too much about battery duration :tongue: