PDA

View Full Version : One admin's missing password leaves San Francisco in a lockdown state

zatoicchi
20.07.08, 03:18
A former San Francisco city computer network administrator remains in a Bay Area jail after pleading not guilty to four charges of computer tampering. Meanwhile, the city's computer network is in limbo.

Prior to his arrest, Terry Childs, 43, of Pittsburg, California, managed to manipulate the city's computer system, creating a password that has effectively locked out all other city network administrators. As an employee in the San Francisco Department of Technology Information Services, he helped create a new network used for the San Francisco FiberWAN (wide-area network), his former defender said.

The FiberWAN network is responsible for controlling the city's e-mails, law enforcement records, payroll, and personal records. It controls 60 percent of the city's municipal data that also includes lawyer information and 311 information system.

BetaNews | One admin's missing password leaves San Francisco in a lockdown state (http://www.betanews.com/article/One_admins_missing_password_leaves_San_Francisco_i n_a_lockdown_state/1216414854)

anon
20.07.08, 18:17
you wouldn't expect just 1 password to be able to give so much trouble... like when homer simpson didn't patch his comp and the "year 2000 virus" created chaos everywhere :biggrin:

zatoicchi
21.07.08, 02:17
probably he did that for Job Security and it was purposely forgotten..:biggrin:

Aurion
21.07.08, 08:52
"...he helped create a new network used for the San Francisco FiberWAN (wide-area network)" LOL he made some achievements tho,but now he dumped all his work down into the drain

anon
21.07.08, 18:16
LOL he made some achievements tho,but now he dumped all his work down into the drain

well, as RB's sig says, it's always easier to destroy than to create. :wink2:

zatoicchi
22.07.08, 03:25
well, as RB's sig says, it's always easier to destroy than to create.

very true, sometimes when your usefullness is at an end ,the only way to get it back is to destroy it again as in this case.or lose the important password or maybe delete some data:smile:

anon
22.07.08, 17:47
the only way to get it back is to destroy it again as in this case.

if something becomes confusing it's better to drop it and start all over again, heh :biggrin:

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 07:21
if something becomes confusing it's better to drop it and start all over again, heh

absolutely true. makes a lot more sense to me than trying to figure whats the password..format c: sound good

anon
23.07.08, 20:37
than trying to figure whats the password..

ntpasswd to the rescue :rolling_eyes:

format c:

NO! I have 16GBs of documents there!

:biggrin:

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 08:39
NO! I have 16GBs of documents there!

"dont worry i got it covered , i can always put back all the files..then lost the password

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:24
yeah sure,not all u make is makiing people happier for sure but at least he got the balls to shut down several network based services,in the meanwhile he did some achievements (ever if he was wrong :tongue:)