PDA

View Full Version : Viacom, Google agree to mask 12TB of YouTube user data

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 06:00
http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/225/google_v_viacom.jpg

According to our Google/Viacom scoreboard, the Big G beat the Big V 3-2 in court earlier this month, but that still meant Google had to turn over a 12TB database of every YouTube video ever watched—complete with user IDs and IP addresses. The decision immediately raised privacy concerns, but Google and Viacom have now signed an agreement to anonymize the logging database before the handover.
According to a document filed yesterday with the court, both sides in the $1 billion copyright infringement case have agreed that the actual user data isn't so important after all. Viacom apparently wants to see just how popular allegedly infringing content was on YouTube, on the theory that YouTube largely owes its success to big budget (and infringing) fare like The Simpsons and The Colbert Report, rather than to clips of the often amusing interplay between cats and ferrets.

"When producing data from the Logging Database pursuant to the order," says the new agreement, "Defendants shall substitute values while preserving uniqueness for entries in the following fields: User ID, IP Address and Visitor ID." The protocol for actually making the change will be hashed out over the next week.

Viacom, Google agree to mask 12TB of YouTube user data (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080715-viacom-google-agree-to-mask-12tb-of-youtube-user-data.html)

anon
16.07.08, 16:57
if you have used youtube you're LOGGED! :tongue:

no, really, remembered me when AOL handed over their search database with IPs and all that stuff

Aurion
19.07.08, 17:21
WTF !! they are mad man,why turn over 12TB of users data ?? this is crucial man,Google aint in any Illegal Anti-Privacy stuff !! they are just Youtube videos :rolling_eyes:

anon
19.07.08, 18:21
WTF !! they are mad man,why turn over 12TB of users data ??

exactly :top: glad i had to browse youtube using Ultrasurf (its SSL encryption kills my isp's 20kbs limitation - yes, they also throttle youtube :mad2:) so they don't know my real IP :biggrin:

Aurion
20.07.08, 17:51
yeah but as you mentioned you are still getting very low speeds !! anyway,I guess we should stick to those silly proxies till this mess ends up :icon_angry[1]:

anon
20.07.08, 18:04
yeah but as you mentioned you are still getting very low speeds !!

well, i do get moderate speeds... of course not the maximum my connection can give me, but less than 1/3 of that :mad2:

and yes, those proxy apps weren't meant to be used to bypass lame ISP limitations but internet censorship and blocks :icon_angry[1]:

Aurion
20.07.08, 19:21
well,this is how its gonna work at least for now anon,sorry that u are suffering of that buddy :frown::mad2:

anon
20.07.08, 19:26
THX Reppy :wink: And yes, my ISP's limits suck really, but who knows, they may end up opening new doors; for example i may end up learning every technical detail about their shaping equipment, which will be useful later if i follow a PC/networking career :smile:

Aurion
22.07.08, 19:50
...if i follow a PC/networking career :smile:

I think u should do that anon,I should have done that myself too :biggrin: I guess its a really nice career tho

anon
22.07.08, 20:41
I think u should do that anon

OK, confirmed so it'll be. :top: a bit of networking, a bit of programming, etc... it's always good to know stuff :wink:

Aurion
23.07.08, 07:50
I wish you all luck in the world anon,you deserve it buddy :wink:

anon
23.07.08, 20:40
I wish you all luck in the world anon

THX for caring man, that means a lot :top: :top:

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 21:45
THX for caring man, that means a lot

the care is always is there because your an :sb-freak: like us..

anon
23.07.08, 21:46
your an :sb-freak: like us..

ok i confess it...

:lovesbi: :cool2: :biggrin:

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 21:50
ok i confess it...

yep, it's true for me also and maybe i can stream through you tube too...:wink2:

anon
23.07.08, 21:55
maybe i can stream through you tube too...:wink2:

YouTube - zatoicchi's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/zatoicchi) :biggrin:

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 21:58
lol,it will many traffic hits, abosute success ..you tube stream is what it's all about.:cool2:

Aurion
24.07.08, 19:56
LOL they gonna catch me,then I guess I would be an easy hunt sine I used to watch/upload loads of clips when I was playing that online game SilkRoad so let me say something "Screw Them" :biggrin: