PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi hacker walks free from court

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 06:57
A teenager from New Zealand who had been accused of writing malware that could have stolen millions of pounds has walked free from court and may be recruited by the local police.

Owen Thor Walker, 18, also known online as “Akill," pleaded guilty to several cases of interfering with computer systems but despite his admission the case was discharged so that he will not have a criminal record. The court said it was taking the unusual step so that he could work with local police in fighting online crime.

Police have said that while he didn’t take money directly from people’s bank accounts he was paid $30,000 by persons unknown to write the malware that would do just that. The court fined him just $11,000 and seized the computers he had bought with his fee.

Both the prosecution and the defence team argued that he should be allowed to walk free and work with the police in the future. Justice Judith Potter said Walker was a young man with a potentially outstanding future in law enforcement.

Kiwi hacker walks free from court (http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2221717/kiwi-hacker-walks-free-court)

Aurion
16.07.08, 17:19
Well,that story is exactly the same as that Movie where the Hero (I dont recall his name :S) knew how to fake cheques for his Airline Agency & walked buying all stuff he wanted for free till he caught in France then deported to USA then recruited by the CIA to work on federal cases

anon
16.07.08, 17:55
reppy, i think you mean the movie "catch me if you can"? and frank had to choose between that or jail :wink:

@ article: others will start to think "if nothing happened to him, nothing will happen to me if i do that" :/

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 23:42
sad. another example of the judicial philosophy