PDA

View Full Version : No Anti-BitTorrent Precedent Achieved in Canada

zatoicchi
14.07.08, 05:49
Following comments which suggested that the closure of QuebecTorrent was “a major victory” for the recording industry, we have a statement from the owner of the site to balance things up. The smaller battle against this site is over, the larger one against Canadian BitTorrent sites in general appears unaffected.

Yesterday we reported that, following a legal battle against 31 media industry organizations, the 85,000 member QuebecTorrent tracker had been forced to close. The site complied with a permanent injunction handed down by the Superior Court of Quebec. The recording industry, on the other hand, dropped its claim for $200,000 damages.

Solange Drouin, managing director of ADISQ, an organization that represents the music industry in Québec, said in a response to the shutdown: “We wait to see the result of this first lawsuit. We hope that this result will have a dissuasive effect. If it is not the case, it is possible that we will engage in actions against similar sites.”

Some may be under the impression that the closure of QuebecTorrent is a big legal victory for the entertainment industry. Although undoubtedly the media companies will be delighted that the site has been shuttered, due to how the case ended we’re not really much closer to the answer of torrent site legality in Canada.

No Anti-BitTorrent Precedent Achieved in Canada (http://torrentfreak.com/no-anti-bittorrent-precedent-achieved-in-canada-080712/)

Aurion
14.07.08, 21:37
take a look at this case,I guess this is what they are planning to do,just shut down & keep shutting down well known establishments which made a magnificent change in terms of p2p profession !! Claiming that they are protecting music industry (which already has been approved by one of their artists),this is way silly man,no reasonable cause could make them do such thing

anon
14.07.08, 21:40
"Following comments which suggested that the closure of QuebecTorrent was “a major victory” for the recording industry,"

exactly the same words they used when the police took down the razorback 2 emule server. has the ed2k network been stopped or shut down? no.

Aurion
14.07.08, 22:10
"Following comments which suggested that the closure of QuebecTorrent was “a major victory” for the recording industry,"

exactly the same words they used when the police took down the razorback 2 emule server. has the ed2k network been stopped or shut down? no.

LOL do u think man that they would even care about p2per's reviews ?? no they wont since they are just forcing down their fancy plan to shut down all p2p resources as they claim about them anticipating illegal piracy sharing

zatoicchi
15.07.08, 04:19
The same amount of people on the site will disperse to other sites making them larger and more effective in sharing since their taking what they got on quebec torrents to another site to share with

Aurion
15.07.08, 16:02
yeah @ zat,moreover many new sites are borned lately sharing the same stuff leaked from big sources,so it wont be a big deal building up new trackers to be new sources then get closed to private & so on (the story goes on once again)

anon
15.07.08, 20:59
The same amount of people on the site will disperse to other sites making them larger and more effective in sharing

that's right. :top: anti piracy organizations think because they take a tracker down they killed filesharing everywhere forever. :stupid: when actually no one that has tasted p2p will give up that easily... :smile: if the tracker they used to get torrents from has been killed they will search for another :wink:

Aurion
15.07.08, 22:55
and believe me,they always do move to other new sites where Owners love to say hello to new members since their Tracker needs to be built up from scratch :top: so give them some time,and u will be hearing about totally new names

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 05:01
thats what so great about the whole thing when one is shut down 50 more will open and will become better than before..

anon
16.07.08, 17:43
when one is shut down 50 more will open and will become better than before..

the bittorrent hydra as torrentfreak calls it :smile:

Aurion
16.07.08, 22:05
@anon: HydraTracking LOL yeah this is way better,Im getting into new trackers daily without any incident,just like that :tongue:

shoulder
16.07.08, 22:09
The question is whether the new tracker are worth registering or if they are just there to be there. :wink:

anon
16.07.08, 22:10
maybe all trackers are "just there", but some have lots of content, high speeds and active communities while others don't :biggrin:

Aurion
16.07.08, 22:11
The question is whether the new tracker are worth registering or if they are just there to be there. :wink:

LOL shoulder,all Huge Trackers were nothing at all back when they first launched then more members = Huge Tracker as it is nowaday !! so just give them some time,and about if they worth registeration,yeah I guess they do since lots of those new trackers founders were already members of those huge ones so they all know how to make a Tracker do a "BAANG" :biggrin:

shoulder
16.07.08, 22:23
Yeah, there may be some good tracker and all the big tracker of today started like that. But I think it's hard to build up a good tracker today because there are too much and a lot of them are crap.
Especially the most (nearly all) new german tracker are nothing else then crap, the only reason for their existence is the adware and so the money the sysop earns.

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 22:39
But I think it's hard to build up a good tracker today because there are too much and a lot of them are crap.

i've seen and join a few of these trackers myself:biggrin:
practically some of these trackers has leechers and seeders that are only a few users

anon
16.07.08, 22:43
practically some of these trackers has leechers and seeders that are only a few users

and they never reach the 100th .torrent :rolling_eyes:

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 22:49
and they never reach the 100th .torrent

you mean 50 torrents :wink:, new trackers are either going to fail or survive..with those kind of numbers

anon
16.07.08, 22:53
you mean 50 torrents :wink:, new trackers are either going to fail or survive..

unless the tracker is some kind of "front" for an community that's otherwise unrelated, it'll most certainly fail :redface:

shoulder
16.07.08, 23:02
But I have to say there are a few great new tracker out there.

For example VN which has only been open since friday and I already like it although I even haven't a MAC. :biggrin:

anon
16.07.08, 23:05
VN which has only been open since friday and I already like it although I even haven't a MAC. :biggrin:

now what i'd call an instant success :biggrin:

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 23:07
For example VN which has only been open since friday and I already like it although I even haven't a MAC

Vortex Network should do real well ,it will be just a great as brokenstone..the need for a mac trackers is always going to be welcome for mac users.this is one new tracker that at least will survive because of its contents

Aurion
17.07.08, 01:47
hmm,yeah thats right,Mac has his own Fat Fan lately :tongue: so they are pleasured they have their own Mac Stuff source