PDA

View Full Version : Towards a two-tier internet

zatoicchi
14.07.08, 00:16
Internet service providers (ISPs) always seem to get the first call when a problem arises on the internet.

Lawmakers want them to assist with investigations into cyber crime, parents want them to filter out harmful content, consumers want them to stop spam, and copyright holders want them to curtail infringement.

Despite the urge to hold providers accountable for such activities, the ISP community has been remarkably successful in maintaining a position of neutrality, the digital successor, in spirit and often in fact, to the common carrier phone company.

Adopting this approach has required strict adherence to a cardinal rule often referred to as "network neutrality." This principle holds that ISPs transport bits of data without discrimination, preference, or regard for content.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Towards a two-tier internet (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4552138.stm)

anon
14.07.08, 00:23
ISPs have to "just work" IMO... it is in the client's side to choose what to do and what not with their connection :wink:

zatoicchi
14.07.08, 00:29
Lawmakers want them to assist with investigations into cyber crime

probably the reason why is because they got paid under the table and it always starts from the top of the chain of command

anon
14.07.08, 00:32
it's always money making the world go 'round i guess :|

zatoicchi
14.07.08, 00:44
it's always money making the world go 'round i guess :|

that's what all this scenario is about money, that's why they can make up of this kind of rules to filesharers, isp providers and internet users and innocent people like us..:frown:

Aurion
14.07.08, 20:08
Nice to know that some higher powers force ISPs to move forward for better purer service which is actually rare nowaday !! you know,when customers have connection problems,they call ISP's hot line,tell him a whole story about his glitch then be left on hold for the next 15 minutes,well customer dont like that at all !! so the stake here is how to serve customers in more professional way than ever,professional in world of business means,combining Speed along with Potential in terms of providing service to customer as well as applying different combtability rules forced by federal agencies !!

@anon: LOL I will mention it again,Money is a inner power derived from the spirit of gathering more resources (which will be in our case,more Money)

@zat: as you mentioned,recieving cake from beneath the table would get you doing anything for more cream pies :biggrin:

anon
14.07.08, 20:51
when customers have connection problems,they call ISP's hot line,tell him a whole story about his glitch then be left on hold for the next 15 minutes,well customer dont like that at all !!

that's typical with my isp:

me: "hi"
isp: "hey"
"i have (insert problem here)"
"you're the first one to say that!" (wtf, if i have a problem i want it to be fixed, i don't really care if i'm the first or not)

and this one's a classic...

me: "hey, it's been like a whole day my internet connection isn't working, it stays in getting network address"
isp: "ok, we're working to solve the issue right now, thank you for informing"
* a week later my iNet was still broken :mad2:*

Aurion
14.07.08, 21:55
hmm same happened here when service first born in the whole country,but now ur inquiry call wont take more than 10 minutes,even if the problem exists as global issue then solution wont take than 10 hours tops (this is something I should admit about my ISP) but the problem here is with slow connections,I used to have 256Kbps Package (slow up speeds,slow browsing & caching ...etc) now im having 2MB Package & the difference is so clear

anon
14.07.08, 22:04
I used to have 256Kbps Package (slow up speeds,slow browsing & caching ...etc) now im having 2MB Package & the difference is so clear

of course there's a bit of a difference between 32kbs and 256kbs :biggrin: that didn't prevent me from being shocked and freaking out when i first switched from a 56K phone line to a 128kbps plan here and saw the speed files were being downloaded at :klatsch_3:

zatoicchi
14.07.08, 22:22
Isps should remain nuetral. Period! Just as p2p should not be liable as to what goes through their pipes, I say the same for isps, but then look at what's happening to p2p.

Aurion
14.07.08, 22:42
I think its a matter of time till something weird happens & they just stop due of their fail attempts to obtain evidence on certain Trackers or ISP to sue them in order to prevent such what so called "Piracy Sharing"

anon
14.07.08, 22:49
I think its a matter of time till something weird happens & they just stop due of their fail attempts

that'd be good, wouldn't it? the part where anti-p2pers learn from their mistakes and stop useless efforts i mean :biggrin:

zatoicchi
15.07.08, 05:00
When laws get put into play, however, then they'll go along with it because all ISP's will have to comply and the alternatives in the big scheme of things in that country remain the same.

Aurion
15.07.08, 15:41
yeah source is always constant,its about service wither to be improved or sucked down into the drain,however,any successful firm should maintain their decisions upon customers liking & disliking

anon
15.07.08, 20:54
any successful firm should maintain their decisions upon customers liking & disliking

customers are everything for a company, it's hard to gain them but harder to keep them... big companies should always listen to its have clients have to say if they have long-term plans

Aurion
15.07.08, 23:03
there is an old saying that we knew about in world of business (especially banking sector) which goes "Dont bother Pick new customers,just satisfy ur existing ones"

anon
15.07.08, 23:05
"Dont bother Pick new customers,just satisfy ur existing ones"

that may keep you on the safe side, but you'll get bored if you don't make changes and innovate :top:

Aurion
15.07.08, 23:08
that may keep you on the safe side, but you'll get bored if you don't make changes and innovate :top:

well,by nature,if you succeeded into keeping professionalism while serving ur clients then I guarantee u would fire ur promotion team since customers will know the way out to ur doors