PDA

View Full Version : X-PROTECT blue: A New Copy Protection for Blu-ray Disc Released

zatoicchi
13.07.08, 05:03
X-PROTECT blue was announced earlier this week hoping to position itself as an extra layer of copy protection solution for Blu-ray Discs, together with the existing AACS.

Developed by X-PROTECT, a German manufacturer of anti-piracy-protection systems for DVDs and DVD-Rs, the new X-PROTECT blue solution is designed to combat illegal piracy on Blu-ray Discs.

The solution works on both HDMV and BD-J Blu-ray Discs and it can be frequently updated to stop new piracy attacks in its tracks. The company claims that X-PROTECT blue fulfills all Blu-ray requirements and specifications and works in combination with AACS, the content protection scheme currently used in Blu-ray movie releases.

The main advantage of the X-PROTECT blue is that it can be implemented seamlessly into the current workflow and does not impact the authoring and replication process. The material stays within the normal secure environment and does not need to be sent out to any offsite facility. This is very important for the replicators. Currently, a Blu-ray replicator should buy media key blocks (MKB) from te AACS LA in order to be used in the pre-mastering stage. The pre-mastering tools use the MKBs to encrypt the content and outputs a content certificate, which should be sent to the AACS LA for signing and approval. All this procedure is quite time consuming.

X-PROTECT blue: A New Copy Protection for Blu-ray Disc Released (http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=23697)

Aurion
13.07.08, 11:45
Sounds a good idea to have a tool protecting a Large File Format as the Blu-Ray which for sure,at some sort of stages would need protection while burning/rewriting :biggrin: Its a New generation so hope it comes handy in a while once it gets expanded

zatoicchi
13.07.08, 12:41
And the hackers are waiting to cracked the first disk they get hands on. will what happens then...:biggrin:

Aurion
13.07.08, 13:37
And the hackers are waiting to cracked the first disk they get hands on. will what happens then...:biggrin:

LOL crackers know their moment of truth when comes,so dont worry its just a couple of weeks till we hear about a crack/patch :tongue:

shoulder
13.07.08, 13:45
I still hope there will ever be a BR-D_Shrink released like there was DVD_Shrink for DVDs.

zatoicchi
13.07.08, 14:20
hear about a crack/patch

As long as the keys and the locks come on the same disk people will be able to crack these systems

anon
13.07.08, 17:44
its just a couple of weeks till we hear about a crack/patch :tongue:

i'm sure a private proof-of-concept is already out :wink:

Aurion
13.07.08, 19:11
yeah crackers wont sleep till a new release gets OWNed :tongue:

zatoicchi
13.07.08, 22:06
This is why Blu-Ray won the war on the dvd format, Hollywood will only back something that is hard to cracked.

anon
13.07.08, 22:14
hard but not impossible :wink: i think we'll most likely be hearing about how X-Prot was cracked soon... remember 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0? :)

shoulder
13.07.08, 22:18
But I think it will take some time.
Remember how long it take to crack BD+.

BTW, what's 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0?

anon
13.07.08, 22:25
BTW, what's 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0?

the bytes that were needed to crack DVD CSS protection in its time :biggrin: just google that and also see the DECSS wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeCSS) to have an idea :smile:

shoulder
13.07.08, 22:37
Ah, didn't know this string.
CSS was crap, as far as I know it was cracked very fast.

BTW, a good board specialized in such things is Doom9 (http://forum.doom9.org/).
Here's a link to the Decrypting Area (http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9).

anon
13.07.08, 22:46
Ah, didn't know this string.
CSS was crap, as far as I know it was cracked very fast.

its name says it all... it was just a content scrambling system, so there was never real encryption involved we could say :tongue:

Aurion
13.07.08, 22:54
Well,cracking videos I guess isnt that easy (for sure im not aware of any parts of that field) but I guess Reverse Engineering is way hard in terms of coding different bytes strings :confused2:

zatoicchi
13.07.08, 23:00
i'm reminded of "D-Theater"which was so well protected nobody bought it at all!The same thing looks like happening with Blu-Ray.

anon
13.07.08, 23:01
but I guess Reverse Engineering is way hard in terms of coding different bytes strings :confused2:

those byte-strings are discovered using different methods -both well-known and specifically made for a new protection system-, not coded i guess, otherwise it'd take as much as bruteforcing a password to crack protections :biggrin: (in cases where a byte-combination can crack the scheme of course; i'm sure the creators of CSS have learnt from their mistakes :tongue:)

edit: @ zat: if you protect it so damn much i guess legit users are affected too? :D (like false-positive wga warnings getting on the nerves of people who actually bought XP :tongue:)

zatoicchi
13.07.08, 23:06
yep,we all know what will happen to this protection?
some script kiddy or hacker will find a way around it and wham no protection:biggrin:

anon
13.07.08, 23:08
some script kiddy or hacker will find a way around it and wham no protection:biggrin:

LOL no, hackers will crack it and script kiddies will use the decoding program to show off to their friends :mad2: :tongue:

OMAGAD ME HAS 666 CREDITS

Aurion
13.07.08, 23:09
those byte-strings are discovered using different methods -both well-known and specifically made for a new protection system-, not coded i guess, otherwise it'd take as much as bruteforcing a password to crack protections :biggrin: (in cases where a byte-combination can crack the scheme of course; i'm sure the creators of CSS have learnt from their mistakes :tongue:)

well,I dont think so since reverse coding would take much more time than force password protected files,since those protection strings are just written into built in codes which usually takes shorter time in reversing them :tongue:

anon
13.07.08, 23:15
since those protection strings are just written into built in codes which usually takes shorter time in reversing them :tongue:

it's as simple as that, but how much does reversing them actually take? :tongue: (can't say too much really, i don't know anything about reverse-engineering... this is just how i think the process is done :smile:)

zatoicchi
13.07.08, 23:19
the real pirates leak the copies from the studios (inside job) whether it is camming from the screening room or sneaking in an ipod or external hard drive and copying the movie from the mastering deck or someone inside the pressing factory copies the master.

anon
13.07.08, 23:21
the real pirates leak the copies from the studios (inside job)

haha like the MD employee that got the group "MediaDefender-Defenders" a lot of their released material :klatsch_3:

zatoicchi
13.07.08, 23:26
yep, the people whos cracking this is the people who invented it the first place or a very unhappy employee..

Aurion
14.07.08, 19:11
hmm,leaking from inside sounds more pro to me !! I guess if some one put his hands on something like that,he could build the most famous releasing group around the web !! anyway,its something job related,or you said he might be uphappy with his employer :tongue:

zatoicchi
15.07.08, 04:14
If it can be created by a human(the dvd protections) then it can also be undone by a human...just takes a lil bit of time

oneballnoa
15.07.08, 07:34
i always find it funny that they still insist on developing new security measures. they spend millions, and then a bright 14 year old cracks in while drinking a 50 cent mountain dew.

zatoicchi
15.07.08, 08:53
waiting to see it get hacked by a younsters or anyone with the abilities to do so, like all others but really that's what they get being so anti-consumer ..:biggrin:

Aurion
15.07.08, 14:33
well,that should happen in no time,so dont worry about those security counter-measures since crackers are sole minded persons who actually get the solution in their dream while sleeping LOL :biggrin:

anon
15.07.08, 17:50
who actually get the solution in their dream while sleeping LOL :biggrin:

that can happen.... often when you come up with an idea about something is when you're not thinking about it or anything else completely unrelated :tongue:

Aurion
15.07.08, 22:06
yeah & that is how a smart a$$ thinks,completely separate from his own reality !! just to satisfy his own need

zatoicchi
16.07.08, 03:45
well usually great inventors are thinkers and dreamersand without imagination , no internet, no airplanes , no game consoles,etc..we are lucky that we have people with great minds, dreams and imagination..