PDA

View Full Version : [July,10] Senate endorses retroactive FISA immunity for warrantless wiretapping

Aurion
10.07.08, 08:30
The Democratic-controlled Senate handed President Bush a major political victory on Wednesday by voting to derail lawsuits against telecommunications companies that unlawfully opened their networks to the National Security Agency.

Senators voted 69 to 28 for the bill, which would rewrite federal wiretap laws by granting retroactive immunity to telecommunications companies as long as the government claims the request was "lawful" and authorized by the president.

Wednesday's vote followed a last-minute effort by liberal and libertarian activists to convince enough Democrats to kill or modify the bill. DailyKos called the bill "a pardon to Bush"; some activists created a Wiki to hone their message; a Salon columnist dubbed the bill a "coverup of surveillance crimes."

Many of those efforts were aimed at Sen. Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential candidate, who told us half a year ago that he would definitely not support retroactive immunity. That was then. Now he does--and he voted for the final bill on Wednesday.

Source :

Senate endorses retroactive FISA immunity for warrantless wiretapping | The Iconoclast - politics, law, and technology - CNET News.com (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9986716-38.html?hhTest=1&tag=nefd.top)

zatoicchi
10.07.08, 10:44
Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential candidate, who told us half a year ago that he would definitely not support retroactive immunity. That was then. Now he does--and he voted for the final bill on Wednesday.

i not really surprised that he would change his mind on this subject matter ..politicains are just liars afterall

Aurion
10.07.08, 20:04
good point zat,damn sure they are :biggrin: just love to waste people's time on fake anounces & speeches :rolling_eyes:

anon
10.07.08, 20:14
i not really surprised that he would change his mind on this subject matter ..politicains are just liars afterall

made me remember a quote: "what if there were no schools? there wouldn't be medics to cure us, lawyers to defend us, politicians to steal from us :biggrin:"

Aurion
11.07.08, 11:24
LOOL the factory of different professions :biggrin: hope you dont become a politician anon :tongue:

anon
11.07.08, 18:23
hope you dont become a politician anon :tongue:

nah i'm hoping to do something good :smile:

you can count with me on this :wink2:

Aurion
11.07.08, 18:33
yeah I know u would do the right thing,you are a good person anon :wink: