PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Intel's Pentium MMX

zatoicchi
09.07.08, 02:57
Mountain House (CA) - Earlier today we learned that Intel is already heavily pitching its Larrabee technology to partners, but the technology foundation largely remains a mystery. German publication heise.de now provides more clues with a rather interesting note that Larrabee is built on Intel Intel Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Corporation) ’s nearly two decade-old P5 architecture.

Intel Pentium MMX

According to Heise author Andreas Stiller, possibly the most prominent person to cover computer hardware in Germany, Intel dipped into the bin of obsolete technology (Intel’s phrase for replaced technology) to come up with a technology base for the Larrabee cGPU. While attending Intel’s 40th anniversary briefing (Intel will celebrate its 40th birthday on July 18), Stiller apparently found out that the Larrabee cores will be built on the P54C core — which was the code-name for the second-gen, 600 nm Pentium chip.

The first Pentium core (P5, 800 nm, 60 and 66 MHz) was in development since 1989 and was introduced in 1993. The P54C was launched in 1994 with speeds up to 120 MHz, while the succeeding 350 nm P54CS reached 200 MHz. The 55C core (280 nm up to 233 MHz) followed in 1995 and was replaced with the Pentium II in 1997

The Return of Intel's Pentium MMX (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-pentium-larrabee,5852.html)

Aurion
09.07.08, 05:12
Good 2 see new generations of Pentium is coming up,the last release (Quad) was a BOMB actually offering new PCing experience for all Intel's fans

anon
09.07.08, 18:40
mmm remember the pentium mmx? a true revolution in its time, everyone wanted to have one so that their MultiMedia eXtensions-capable games would run faster.

Aurion
09.07.08, 19:00
..so that their MultiMedia eXtensions-capable games would run faster.

actually I had that dream myself when I first came out & I got one after it got a bit old (a couple of months after release,you know new products are way expensive on day of release) :tongue:

zatoicchi
09.07.08, 22:29
pentium mmx ,great memories regarding this cpu.it was the most talk about cpu when it first came out..and the prices was sure expensive at that time..cant wait for the new mmx technology to come out