PDA

View Full Version : RARing for release

zatoicchi
03.07.08, 08:48
If you need to make multi-volume rar files, 14.3MB each with recovery information suitable for FTP or Usenet, you select the files you want to package, and drop them in the WinRAR window (or right-click on the selected files and choose Winrar->Add to archive).

Enter the name of the archive (like "super.duper.application.v.1.3-shakes"), select "RAR" as format, "Best" as compression method, enter 15.000.000 in the "Split to volumes, bytes" box, and check the "Create solid archive", "Put recovery record", and "Test archived files" (to make sure the RARs are OK after compressing is finished) checkboxes. Leave all other checkboxes unchecked.

If you don't want a recovery record (because it needs more space which result in more RAR files), uncheck the appropriate checkbox. Note that doing so will prevent others from unpacking the RAR files if one of the RAR files is damaged (corrupted download for example).

If you want to include a comment in the RARs, enter it in the "Comment" tab.

Hit OK and you're done.

Ostracized
03.07.08, 13:53
Note that there isnt benefit for compressing in all files. For example you wont see much difference in the size of video files. So selecting "best" compression method all its gonna do here is make the task slower, where selecting "store" is gonna make it as fast as possible.

anon
03.07.08, 18:03
it just depends on what type of files you're compressing. using "best" with JPG images, MP3 audio and PDF text will just add overhead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_overhead), while in the case of BMP, WAV and TXT it will compress very well.

yet sometimes in these scenarios, you can see just a few KBs difference between "best" and "very good"... it's about checking what's best for every situation :biggrin:

Aurion
03.07.08, 22:39
you know the bad part of compressing that usually takes time is the CRC check,however in that case it would be way easier than the decompressing stage,which I guess 70% of it is about CRC checks,they are like pain in the ass,Ive suffered from those checks since I got too many errors "file is corrupted" coz fo those CRCs,anyway,im trying to learn how to reverse those CRC checks recently !!

anon
03.07.08, 23:10
anyway,im trying to learn how to reverse those CRC checks recently !!

good luck with that because it sounds as difficult as finding two different files with the same MD5 hash for me :biggrin:

Aurion
09.07.08, 17:47
good luck with that because it sounds as difficult as finding two different files with the same MD5 hash for me :biggrin:

yeah for sure let me be honest with ya,its kinda way harder than writing a C++ file,but the interesting thing about the CRC reversing thing is that if you can do CRC reversing then u will probably be able to disable that CRC check in any rar file u are gonna extract,isnt it fun ?? :biggrin:

anon
09.07.08, 18:09
u will probably be able to disable that CRC check in any rar file u are gonna extract,isnt it fun ?? :biggrin:

as long as your download is 100% fine and you get those errors for no reason yes :top:

have fun, even if you're not able to do it you will have learned a lot :smile:

Aurion
09.07.08, 19:36
why dont we launch a CRC Reversing Project for SB-I & call it "Reppanon" I like that name alot :biggrin: