PDA

View Full Version : How The FBI Dismantled a BitTorrent Community

zatoicchi
01.07.08, 03:52
On June 25th 2005, the homepage of the EliteTorrents.org tracker displayed an ominous message. Thousands of members trying to log in to get a sneak peak at a leaked copy of Star Wars: Episode 3 were surprised and confused in equal numbers. Had the FBI really raided one of the largest BitTorrent communities and put up a badly made Word document, or were hackers to blame?

There’s no denying it was a very confusing day. For a while the site just didn’t respond for me. The rumors were starting to circulate. Had the EliteTorrents site really been raided by the FBI? Many furious refreshes later and there it was, a crude webpage with a blood-red background, with a DOJ graphic on one side and an FBI one on the other. In the middle sat part of the EliteTorrents banner

How The FBI Dismantled a BitTorrent Community | TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/how-the-fbi-dismantled-a-bittorrent-community-080630/)

Aurion
01.07.08, 11:56
about the webpage part,this is like a Horror movie LOL :biggrin:

anon
01.07.08, 15:50
it does look a bit scary... but isn't all too much clear whether just hackers would have done it or if the real FBI seized the site.

either way, it is bad for elitetorrents...

zatoicchi
01.07.08, 19:58
elite torrents was my first torrent site that i 've joined if it was not taken to this day..this private trackers would have been the best trackers around today.elite was the trackers to have at that time ,everyone wanted in but since it was getting too be popular it got unwanted recognition that's when it got shut down..that's probably why we site out there that does not want to known..it was a very sad day in the torrents community when it was taken dowon