PDA

View Full Version : [Guide] Reseeding Torrents

Aurion
17.06.08, 22:20
First of all,Hey There Guys !! Hope you are doing good !! Work has became a real pain in the a$$ so im thinking of quiting it soon :biggrin: !! Anyway,while iam audting some major corporate accounts in my office,I thought of breaking the silence by posting this topic !! The bad thing is that Ive made this topic 1 year ago & provided a Big community like this one with it but got pissed when I saw it stolen by a Jerk who just copy/pasted exactly my same words !! Anyway,I will write it down now coz I dont want anyone posting it here too :biggrin:

I will keep this guide simple as possible since almost all torrent users are not familiar with the Term Seeding/Reseeding,so just follow up with me. :smile:

1. What is a Torrent File ?

A torrent file is nothing more than a plain text document that contains information used by a BitTorrent client to initiate a connection with a swarm of users (seeds and peers).

2. Why Seeding is Required ?

If you only upload a torrent file to your tracker and never seed the torrent, people will never be able to actually download the torrented files from you. By seeding a torrent, you announce to the tracker that you have the complete file or fileset and are available to provide these files for download to other users (peers).

3. How Can I Seed a Torrent ?

begin seeding your torrent, you will need to open it in your default BitTorrent client. Torrent files can be opened in basically two different ways:

--> Open A Torrent File Locally :

Using this method, you would use a file explorer such as My Computer or Windows Explorer to locate (on your harddrive) the torrent that you created and double-click it. It should then open in your default BitTorrent client and ask your for a Save Location.

--> Open a Torrent File Remotely :

Using this method, you would click a hypertext link to the online location of the torrent file. If your web browser is configured properly, it should ask you if you want to Save or Open the torrent file when you click the link. By choosing Open, it should download the torrent file to a temporary folder, open it in your default BitTorrent client and prompt you for a Save Location.

3. How Can I Download a Torrent ?

If your tracker allows torrent downloads (bnbt_allow_torrent_downloads), this can be done by clicking the link in the Torrent Download column that appears just after the Torrent Name column.

Note : Your web browser might be configured to simply open torrent files by default, and you will never be asked if you want to save or open the torrent.

If you were downloading the torrented files, you could choose any save location, however, because you are seeding the torrent, it is necessary for you to choose a specific location (and filename).

4. How Can I beging Torrenting a File ?

If you are torrenting a SINGLE FILE:

You should select that file on your hard drive when you are prompted for a save location and filename.

If you are torrenting a SET OF FILES (Folder Or Compressed Files):

You should select the folder on your hard drive that contains the torrented files, when you are prompted for a save location

Your client will then begin to hash the file contents on your hard drive (checking existing data) and will compare it to the hash information stored in the torrent file. If everything matches, your client should report that the torrent is complete (Download Succeeded) and will then contact the tracker to announce this information.

Very Important :

Some BitTorrent clients use color-coding to indicate the status of your torrent. Please do not be concerned if your torrent does not go green immediately. This will not happen until someone has started downloading the torrented files from you. This usually doesn't happen when you start seeding a torrent initially, because no one has had a chance to get the torrent file yet.

Important Tips For Professional Seeding :

Seed your torrent for as long as possible.

Seed your torrent until it is well seeded and has at least 2 other seeds (people who have finished downloading).
Check back often to make sure that your torrent isn't left with 0 seeds and reseed the torrent as necessary.
The number of seeds and peers will be displayed in your tracker's table of torrents. If the tracker supports the scrape function, the number of seeds and peers can also be retrieved,BNBT EasyTracker is configured by default to support the scrape function.

Reseeding Your Torrent

The procedure for reseeding your torrent is exactly the same as the initial seeding process.

Seeding Torrents Tracked by Your Tracker

Because your tracker will be running on your home computer, it may be necessary for you to configure your computer and your BitTorrent client further to be able use your own tracker for seeding and downloading torrented files on your tracker.

================================================== ====================

Hope that I pointed out some of the Seeding basics & If any part is unclear or needs a detailed explaination,you are very Welcome to ask for it !! :top:

anon
18.06.08, 00:21
nice one :top:

you do mention initial seeding in "Important Tips For Professional Seeding" -point 2-, but could also explain a bit how super-seeding works and how to use it wisely if you're the only uploader (either because the torrent died but you want to reseed, or you have just created it and want it to spread) i.e. tips like how to enable it, 'the super-seeded torrent should be the only one you're uploading', best usage scenario = you (seed) + 2 peers, etc... ^^

of course this tut is about reseeding, not initial seeding, but you know, so as to have an idea of both (related) concepts :smile:

Aurion
18.06.08, 01:07
actually you are right regarding "super seeding" but I mean with "professional seeding" to just seed as the normal seeding concept means without using any seeding/ratio fakers !! :biggrin:

anon
18.06.08, 01:59
but I mean with "professional seeding" to just seed as the normal seeding concept means without using any seeding/ratio fakers !! :biggrin:

i knew what you meant :top: ... doing the hard work yourself! :klatsch_3:

again thank you for the tutorial and your time :top:

maniak
18.06.08, 19:45
great tutorial
-----------

zatoicchi
19.06.08, 05:17
this source of information are always a great material for reading and tutorial guides ..thank you:biggrin: