PDA

View Full Version : [TuT]Best Settings For uTorrent !! Get Double Speed.

Aurion
16.06.08, 02:16
Well,first of all Hey There SB-Citizens !! Was a long day @ work but I managed to get Home at last :biggrin: and its time for bed but coz I adore this Place just wanted to share with you this Tutorial for uTorrent's Best Settings Ever that will eventually double your Dl/Up Speed or at least Boost your Bandwith to its maximum limits !! Anyway,let me begin with it coz it will take some time (and I cant open my eyes anymore coz of being tired all day) !!

Step By Step Tutorial :

First download Utorrent, and instal. Personally i think it's the fastest one out there. Then follow the steps below to max out download speeds. I usually get around 150 - 200 kb/s (while my Normal Bandwith Should be around 120 - 150 Kb/s)

>> First go to Options>Preferences>Network

1. Under ‘Port used for incomming connections‘ enter any port number.

* It is best to use a port number above 10000. I use 45682. *

2. Randomize port each time µtorrent starts: UNCHECKED

* I leave this unchecked because I have a router. If you do not have a router or a firewall, and want extra security,check this option. *

3. Enable UPnP port mapping (Windows Xp or later only): UNCHECKED

* I leave this unchecked because I have experienced it slowing down speeds. It is not needed if you manually port forward. *

4. Add µtorrent to Windows Firewall exceptions (Windows XP SP2 or later only): UNCHECKED (do this only if you have windows firewall disabled)

5. Global Maximum upload rate (kb/s): [0: unlimited]: 22 (Recommended for 256k connection)

6. Protocol Encryption: ENABLED

* I would recommend everyone to enable this. This can help increase speeds with many ISPs. *

7. Allow incoming Legacy Connections: CHECKED

>> Options>Preferences>Torrents
1. Global Maximum Number of Connections: 130 (Recommended for 256k connection)

* This number should not be set too low or the number of connections made to your torrents will be limited. Setting it too high may cause too much bandwidth to be used and can cause slowdowns.

2. Maximum Number of connected peers per torrent: 70 (Recommended for 256k connection)

* If you see that the peers connected to a specific torrent are exactly this number, or very close, increase this number to improve speeds.

3. Number of upload slots per torrent: 3 (Recommended for 256k connection)

* This depends on how much you want to upload to other users. Do not set too low or it may affect download speeds.

4. Use additional upload slots if upload speed <90%: CHECKED

5. Maximum number of active torrents: 2 (Recommended for 256k connection)

6. Maximum number of active downloads: 1 (Recommended for 256k connection)

7. Enable DHT Network: CHECKED

* This is recommended to be checked to improve speeds. More people will be available for sharing if this is checked.

8. Enable DHT for new torrents: CHECKED

9. Enable Peer Exchange: CHECKED

10. Enable scrapping: CHECKED

11. Pre-allocate all files: CHECKED

12. Append .!ut to incomplete files: UNCHECKED

>> Options>Preferences>Advanced

1. net.max_halfopen: 50

*DO NOT CHANGE THIS OPTION unless you have Windows XP SP2.

Note :

>> If you have a firewall <<

• Open up the options/preferences/settings for the firewall - usually your firewall will have an icon to click in the taskbar
• Look for the keywords “allow list” or “programs”
• Add the application you want to give access to the internet
• Make sure to save your settings when you are done

>> If you have a router <<

1. Go to start>run>type cmd, press enter>type ipconfig, press enter

2. Remember both your ip address and your default gateway

3. Type in your default gateway into your default browser, a password prompt may come up. The default username and password are admin for my router

4. Under ‘Applications’ fill out one line for each p2p client you use

5. You need to use your ip address, the correct port range and set either tcp or udp

6. You can find and change the ports in the actual p2p client’s settings, just make sure they are the same in the router

7. Most p2p apps need both tcp and udp checked, if you are not sure check your p2p client’s FAQ

8. Save your settings

Check PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall (http://www.PortForward.com) to forward ports for uTorrent.

Some of the settings I mentioned above are relative to my bandwidth. But If you followed this Guide Step By Step then you should be Fine !!

P.S: Don't Reply with "Hey I didnt get Double Speed" coz ISP might strictly control bandwith boosting (over-flooding bandwith) BUT at least you will Suck 99% of the Bandwith you paid for into uTorrent !! :tongue:

NJoy SB-Citizenz !! :top:

anon
16.06.08, 19:53
just a few comments i'd like to make:

2. Randomize port each time µtorrent starts: UNCHECKED

* I leave this unchecked because I have a router. If you do not have a router or a firewall, and want extra security,check this option. *

actually well yes it is a little bit safer to randomize ports :smile: BUT say you were building your ratio at a tracker (uploading a lot :wink:) and for some weird reason uT/windows crashes (you know how computing is ^^), utorrent will choose another port when restarted and you won't be reachable in your old one, and by the time you pick your old port (if you remember it!) and restart, the other client will have already given up trying to contact you and someone else will be uploading to him = bad :frown:

3. Enable UPnP port mapping (Windows Xp or later only): UNCHECKED

* I leave this unchecked because I have experienced it slowing down speeds. It is not needed if you manually port forward. *

if you do that (manual port forwarding) or don't need upnp, i have written a mini-tut in how to hard-disable it here (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f59/utorrent-settings-3892/#post27228), so as to be a little more safe :biggrin:

4. Add µtorrent to Windows Firewall exceptions (Windows XP SP2 or later only): UNCHECKED (do this only if you have windows firewall disabled)

yes, keep that unchecked, and disable windows firewall (it does more harm than good preventing incoming connections) and get a real FW :biggrin:

6. Protocol Encryption: ENABLED

* I would recommend everyone to enable this. This can help increase speeds with many ISPs. *

7. Allow incoming Legacy Connections: CHECKED

make sure the "allow legacy..." checkbox is always checked and that you chose "protocol encryption" ENABLED and NOT forced ! :top:

7. Enable DHT Network: CHECKED

* This is recommended to be checked to improve speeds. More people will be available for sharing if this is checked.

8. Enable DHT for new torrents: CHECKED

9. Enable Peer Exchange: CHECKED

actually if you're only downloading from a private tracker it's better to disable all these, which in this case will just generate more unnecessary connections and waste your bandwidth :smile:

if you get your stuff from public trackers leave them enabled.

10. Enable scrapping: CHECKED

useful to know how many seeds and peers a torrent has before starting the download. if there are 0 seeds and 1000 peers it isn't worth your time :tongue:

11. Pre-allocate all files: CHECKED

yes, always check this if you don't want your downloads to avoid being saved to disk because of lack of HDD space while your &downloaded=... amount is still reported to the tracker :top: that can be frustrating specially if you don't know WHY the data isn't saved :S

>> Options>Preferences>Advanced

*DO NOT CHANGE THIS OPTION unless you have Windows XP SP2.

AND have applied the max half-open connections patch (http://www.lvllord.de) !!! :wink:

Check PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall (http://www.PortForward.com) to forward ports for uTorrent.

they also have a nice (shareware) port forwarding program that does most of the task for you, you just need to know your router's brand and model and which ports you want forwarded :biggrin:

Global Maximum upload rate...

Global Maximum Number of Connections...

Maximum Number of connected peers per torrent...

Number of upload slots per torrent...

Maximum number of active torrents...

Maximum number of active downloads...

this (http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html) "U/L settings calculator" can help you get these values right (it's meant for azureus but the settings are the same in every client :tongue:), just tell it your upload speed :smile:

reppy, please don't think i don't value your tutorial, it's GREATLY appreciated and i know you must have spent A LOT of time writing it :top: i'm just giving my personal opinions and recommendations on every subject :biggrin:

Aurion
16.06.08, 21:44
just a few comments i'd like to make:

actually well yes it is a little bit safer to randomize ports :smile: BUT say you were building your ratio at a tracker (uploading a lot :wink:) and for some weird reason uT/windows crashes (you know how computing is ^^), utorrent will choose another port when restarted and you won't be reachable in your old one, and by the time you pick your old port (if you remember it!) and restart, the other client will have already given up trying to contact you and someone else will be uploading to him = bad :frown:

Well,first of all,its a good technique to randomize your ports so that you cut your losses in every port you use every single time if you lost any badnwith using one port (so you wont lose again if you changed the old port to a brand new one)

if you do that (manual port forwarding) or don't need upnp, i have written a mini-tut in how to hard-disable it here (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f59/utorrent-settings-3892/#post27228), so as to be a little more safe :biggrin:

either using PortForwarding application or manual set it,this would enhance your bandwith usage since you should be aware of what port suites your IP range. :tongue:

yes, keep that unchecked, and disable windows firewall (it does more harm than good preventing incoming connections) and get a real FW :biggrin:

Well,I mentioned that you should Uncheck this option unless you have windows firewall disabled to smoothly allow incoming connections to be easily handled by your Tclient.

make sure the "allow legacy..." checkbox is always checked and that you chose "protocol encryption" ENABLED and NOT forced ! :top:

I guess Ive mentioned same words in my Post dude,are you just increasing your post counter ?? :confused2:

actually if you're only downloading from a private tracker it's better to disable all these, which in this case will just generate more unnecessary connections and waste your bandwidth :smile:

if you get your stuff from public trackers leave them enabled.

Well,enabling DHT is required for increasing both download/upload speeds since the DHT indicator is updating its data base regularly during leech/seed time (you can notice that especially in utorrent beside DHT as Nodes,that number increases as long as your peers/seeds counter rise up,thats why I mentioned that those settings are the best especially for Utorrent) :rolleyes2:

useful to know how many seeds and peers a torrent has before starting the download. if there are 0 seeds and 1000 peers it isn't worth your time :tongue:

and thats why I recommended to check this option to get regular updates handled by DHT indicator :rolleyes2:

yes, always check this if you don't want your downloads to avoid being saved to disk because of lack of HDD space while your &downloaded=... amount is still reported to the tracker :top: that can be frustrating specially if you don't know WHY the data isn't saved :S

thats also why the reason why I mentioned to check that otion for man :confused2:

AND have applied the max half-open connections patch (http://www.lvllord.de) !!! :wink:.

Im familiar with that patch which should be applied to tcp.sys file but I didnt want to mention it here since this tut is already a quite BIG one BUT I had the intention to post that tut later after people get familiar with this basic one first.... :tongue:

they also have a nice (shareware) port forwarding program that does most of the task for you, you just need to know your router's brand and model and which ports you want forwarded :biggrin:

LOL !! man whats the Heck,thats why ive provided the link so people can use the app to port forward :eek3:

this (http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html) "U/L settings calculator" can help you get these values right (it's meant for azureus but the settings are the same in every client :tongue:), just tell it your upload speed :smile:

that was patching tcp.sys part related subject,so you shouldnt have confused people by that dude !! LOL

reppy, please don't think i don't value your tutorial, it's GREATLY appreciated and i know you must have spent A LOT of time writing it :top: i'm just giving my personal opinions and recommendations on every subject :biggrin:

Well,its ok buddy that you provided your opnions on this tut but you just replied on topics without adding extra tips on them (just like I wrote,you just rephrased),anyway after replying to many parts you still havent gave me my "Thanks" point LOOOOOL :tongue:

Aurion
17.06.08, 01:23
LOL !! :eek13: 33 Views & ONLY 1 Reply ?!?! :tongue:

"1,2,3 be Active !! 1,2,3 be Active !! 1,2,3 be Active !!" :klatsch_3:

zatoicchi
17.06.08, 02:15
im going to try this out.wish me luck ..hopefully i will a see the difference of speeds..

Aurion
17.06.08, 02:29
im going to try this out.wish me luck ..hopefully i will a see the difference of speeds..

LOL !! good luck. create some magic :rolling_eyes:

anon
17.06.08, 14:09
Well,first of all,its a good technique to randomize your ports so that you cut your losses in every port you use every single time if you lost any badnwith using one port (so you wont lose again if you changed the old port to a brand new one)

i'm aware of that (for example, your isp may slow down connections in a single port for you if torrenting at full speed using it, and enabling random ports would counter that). just mentioning the possible drawbacks (because everything has advantages and disadvantages :wink:). of course crashes may happen, but it's not like uT crashes every now and then; yet should it...

just mentioning the outlook of things in that case :smile:

either using PortForwarding application or manual set it,this would enhance your bandwith usage since you should be aware of what port suites your IP range. :tongue:

never said that wasn't true; as a matter of fact it IS true. :)

i referred to my mini-tutorial just in case people wanted to disable upnp globally, and mentioned a possible usage scenario where they'd want to do that (to be a little more secure). and as both subjects are about upnp, i thought people may find my mini-tut interesting. :smile:

Well,I mentioned that you should Uncheck this option unless you have windows firewall disabled to smoothly allow incoming connections to be easily handled by your Tclient.

merely confirmed what you had stated (sorry if you found it a little redundant :frown:) and told readers to get a "real" firewall if windows's is all they are using to protect their PC. :smile:

I guess Ive mentioned same words in my Post dude,are you just increasing your post counter ?? :confused2:

like i care about post count. all i want is to be helpful :biggrin: actually i do recognize i'm a bit repeating just confirming what you have already stated :frown: but i did add a warning of my own for people that wanted to see what happened if they set "allow encryption" to forced :wink:

Well,enabling DHT is required for increasing both download/upload speeds since the DHT indicator is updating its data base regularly during leech/seed time (you can notice that especially in utorrent beside DHT as Nodes,that number increases as long as your peers/seeds counter rise up,thats why I mentioned that those settings are the best especially for Utorrent) :rolleyes2:

for public trackers, that's true... wait, i'll quote myself to show you what i meant, highlighting important stuff:

actually if you're only downloading from a private tracker it's better to disable all these, which in this case will just generate more unnecessary connections and waste your bandwidth

in private trackers, every .torrent you download has the private flag enabled, which means dht and pex won't be used for those torrents. if you use your client ONLY (important) to get stuff from private trackers, enabling DHT and peer exchange will only waste your bandwidth, because those will be disabled for every torrent (remember for all this example is concerned, we are downloading from private trackers only) but you will still be a dht node, with nothing to share (because the private flag disallows you from sharing private torrents with other DHTers). being such generates overhead, and in this scenario we will never be using DHT, so i recommended to disable it (and PEX too) to save precious bandwidth.

i do fully backup your statement of enabling both dht and pex if you're also downloading from public trackers (or use the same client to download from both kinds of trackers, like most people do): it can help you get more peers and also takes a bit of pressure off the tracker away :smile:

and thats why I recommended to check this option to get regular updates handled by DHT indicator :rolleyes2:

of course you did; i'm just telling readers WHY enabling this and WHAT it does. :smile:

thats also why the reason why I mentioned to check that otion for man :confused2:

same as above :top:

Im familiar with that patch which should be applied to tcp.sys file but I didnt want to mention it here since this tut is already a quite BIG one BUT I had the intention to post that tut later after people get familiar with this basic one first.... :tongue:

ok :biggrin: hope to see your tcpip.sys patching tutorial posted here soon, it is quite important to patch that file to get better speeds. which we want. :biggrin:

LOL !! man whats the Heck,thats why ive provided the link so people can use the app to port forward :eek3:

you did state that site could help you forward your ports, but didn't mention a single word about their automated port forwarding program in your original post... :wink:

that was patching tcp.sys part related subject,so you shouldnt have confused people by that dude !! LOL

mmm you may be right with that. but that online calculator couldn't be simpler, you just need to tell it your upload speed, and it will output the recommended value for every setting (which with your tutorial people should have already learned how to configurate :smile:).

Well,its ok buddy that you provided your opnions on this tut but you just replied on topics without adding extra tips on them (just like I wrote,you just rephrased),anyway after replying to many parts you still havent gave me my "Thanks" point LOOOOOL :tongue:

hey, i do remember clicking the thanks button today and seeing that little wheel icon. (the one that appears when you click THANKS until your nick is shown in the thanks list) yet it seems that it didn't register. i have just clicked it again... :top:

reppy, please relax, everything cool man :top: i have never stated your tut is of no use: it is very useful for starters, and advanced users too! :top: all i wanted was to (in a friendly manner :smile:) express what i personally thought of some of the things you've posted, and intended to be helpful and informative for people reading my post. my apologies if you found it a bit redundant (i admit this...) or unhelpful in any way.

again, no offense man. :top:

thank you for sharing your tips with the community. :klatsch_3:

best regards,

anon

Aurion
17.06.08, 20:28
Well,its ok buddy,I just felt strange when you replied to parts of my topic in no extra infos way !! However you mentioned some nice explanations of few parts which is quite good !! Just try to reply to parts not being handled well !! Anyway,thnx for my "Thanks Point" & take it easy :top:

Pyratheon
06.07.08, 21:00
Didn't try it yet but I will as soon as I get back on my own computer. Thanks.

wojsku
26.09.08, 05:08
your setting are great. i always needed that fine tune of my torrent client. i can see aproximately 10-20% difference in downloading speed. cheers mate

coolio256
23.02.09, 05:31
at first thank you for this goood tut:smile:
my question: what are the settings(uprate,max connections..) for dsl6000? thx

czullo
23.02.09, 14:11
If your connection get stuck while using utorrent ( or other P2P program ) use this speed/connection guide:

-================T===========T===========T========= =¬
¦CONNECTION TYPE ¦ UPLOAD ¦CONNECTIONS¦MAX ACTIVE¦
¦(UPLOAD MAXIMUM)¦Limit-Slots¦ Torr- MAX ¦Torr-Down.¦
¦================+=====?=====+=====?=====+====?=== ==¦
¦ DEFAULT ¦ 20- 3¦ 30- 40¦ 2- 1¦
¦ Dial-up (28.8k)¦ 2- 1¦ 5- 7¦ 1- 1¦
¦ Dial-up (56k) ¦ 3- 1¦ 7- 10¦ 1- 1¦
¦Single ISDN(64k)¦ 5- 2¦ 10- 15¦ 1- 1¦
¦ Dual ISDN(128k)¦ 9- 3¦ 20- 25¦ 1- 1¦
¦ 64 kbit/sec ¦ 5- 2¦ 25- 30¦ 1- 1¦
¦ 80 kbit/sec ¦ 6- 2¦ 25- 30¦ 1- 1¦
¦ 96 kbit/sec ¦ 7- 3¦ 25- 30¦ 1- 1¦
¦ 128 kbit/sec ¦ 9- 3¦ 30- 35¦ 1- 1¦
¦ 160 kbit/sec ¦ 13- 3¦ 30- 40¦ 1- 1¦
¦ 192 kbit/sec ¦ 17- 3¦ 30- 50¦ 2- 1¦
¦ 224 kbit/sec ¦ 20- 3¦ 35- 55¦ 2- 1¦
¦ 256 kbit/sec ¦ 22- 3¦ 35- 60¦ 2- 1¦
¦ 320 kbit/sec ¦ 29- 3¦ 35- 80¦ 3- 1¦
¦ 384 kbit/sec ¦ 35- 4¦ 40- 90¦ 3- 2¦
¦ 448 kbit/sec ¦ 40- 4¦ 40- 100¦ 3- 2¦
¦ 512 kbit/sec ¦ 47- 4¦ 40- 100¦ 4- 2¦
¦ 640 kbit/sec ¦ 60- 5¦ 45- 120¦ 4- 3¦
¦ 700 kbit/sec ¦ 65- 5¦ 45- 140¦ 5- 3¦
¦ 768 kbit/sec ¦ 72- 5¦ 50- 150¦ 5- 4¦
¦ 800 kbit/sec ¦ 75- 5¦ 50- 160¦ 6- 4¦
¦ 900 kbit/sec ¦ 82- 5¦ 55- 180¦ 6- 4¦
¦ 1 mbit/sec ¦ 92- 6¦ 60- 200¦ 7- 5¦
¦ 1.5 mbit/sec ¦ 140- 7¦ 80- 250¦ 8- 6¦
¦ 2 mbit/sec ¦ 186- 8¦ 100- 300¦ 10- 8¦
¦ 5 mbit/sec ¦ 560- 10¦ 100- 400¦ 15- 10¦
¦ 10 mbit/sec ¦ 1120- 20¦ 100- 500¦ 20- 15¦
¦ 20 mbit/sec ¦ 2240- 25¦ 125- 600¦ 25- 20¦
¦ 40 mbit/sec ¦ 4480- 28¦ 140- 700¦ 30- 20¦
¦ 50 mbit/sec ¦ 5600- 30¦ 150- 800¦ 40- 25¦
¦ 100 mbit/sec ¦11200- 40¦ 200- 1000¦ 100- 30¦
L================¦=====?=====¦=====?=====¦====?=== ==-

coolio256
23.02.09, 16:31
i dont unterstand that sry what is for dsl 6000 thx

anon
23.02.09, 16:58
@czullo: thanks for the table :top: I have put it between CODE tags so that it doesn't break. :smile:

my question: what are the settings(uprate,max connections..) for dsl6000? thx

If your DSL 6000 has a speed of 768kB/s down and 64kbs up, according czullo's table you should use the following settings:

Upload speed limit: 47kbs
Upload slots per torrent: 4
Max connections per torrent: 40
Max global connections: 100
Max downloading torrents: 2
Max active torrents: 4

coolio256
23.02.09, 17:06
thank you anon:top:
down speed: 0 ?

anon
23.02.09, 17:06
down speed: 0 ?

Of course - unlimited. :tongue:

coolio256
23.02.09, 17:10
and alternative upload rate during seeding?

anon
23.02.09, 17:13
Unlimited if you don't have any work to do with your connection, otherwise you should be fine with 47kB/s. If you set it higher, surfing, e-mailing, etc. will start to lag.

coolio256
23.02.09, 17:19
ok thx:top:
very good:klatsch_3:
and is this settings better than these here:
Wie man Azureus richtig einstellt - AzureusWiki (http://azureuswiki.com/index.php/Wie_man_Azureus_richtig_einstellt)

anon
23.02.09, 17:24
and is this settings better than these here:
Wie man Azureus richtig einstellt - AzureusWiki (http://azureuswiki.com/index.php/Wie_man_Azureus_richtig_einstellt)

There aren't better or worse settings - you have to find the ones that work best for you. If you can max out your connection with 40/100 connections, there's no sense in letting your client open more (which can lead to connection/router crashes). For example, I don't have DSL6000, but with 3Mbit cable these give me maximum speed:

Upload speed limit: 22kB/s
Upload slots per torrent: 2
Max connections per torrent: 40
Max global connections: 200
Max downloading torrents: 4
Max active torrents: 5

coolio256
23.02.09, 17:29
yes ok thats right i must say these settings are better
695kbs :shockkk!:

czullo
23.02.09, 17:32
my table is alternative for utorrent speed guide, beucase if you have runed utorrent, listen radio on web/watching youtube, or other activites your connection might be STUCK, or your router crash/close port. you might experiment with this settings :)

coolio256
01.03.09, 02:13
dht checked for anti leecht tracker?

anon
01.03.09, 16:59
All tracker says you disable it, and that it doesn't matter if your client respects the private flag, because with DHT/PEX you can "leak" info about torrents, "upload to other people outside of tracker X", etc.

This is FALSE. If a torrent has the private flag set to 1 (as all .torrents from ALTs do), clients won't "leak" anything about it, or upload to other people "outside" of the tracker. I really don't know why they tell you to disable both. (Anyone can of course connect and upload/download from you if they have the correct info_hash/IP/port combo. BitTorrent wasn't meant to be a secure/anonymous protocol.)

The only good reasons to disable DHT are (in my opinion):

avoiding router/connection crashes created by the extra connections
saving bandwidth if you're using your client to download from ALTs only

So, in short:
If you're having router crashes when running uT, disable DHT.
If you download from ALTs only, disable DHT.

If you're not having any router issues, and are also using the same uT instance to download from public trackers, keep DHT enabled.

Also, remember that despite the tracker staff being wrong regarding this, it's them that have the ability to disable accounts and not you, so if you ever send an screenshot of your uTorrent to them be it through the tracker's forum/e-mail/etc., right click "DHT: x nodes" in the status bar, and untick "Enable DHT". Re-enable it after you've taken the cap.

coolio256
03.03.09, 00:14
yes ok i will disable it

Mihai
28.03.09, 19:34
I tryed your setings and i can't see the magic.I have a speedtouch 516v6 and my maximum download speed is (or maybe was 230 kB but with utorrent i only get 210 kB) and upload speed 50 kB.

anon
28.03.09, 19:35
While this tutorial can help you squeeze as much bandwidth as possible into uTorrent, it won't literally double your speed past what your ISP can offer.

Mihai
28.03.09, 20:31
Yeah because I tryed a lot of methods but nothing.This is my speed :frown:

jockey
04.12.09, 15:20
Nice tut .....
It increased the dld speed to some extent....

GotIt
05.12.09, 00:04
Are these settings optimal for downloading only? Because while I find it hard to survive on some private trackers, I would still like to nudge in the small contribution and having 1 upload slot means I can only upload 1 torrent at a time (?)

Yeah...

anon
05.12.09, 00:05
having 1 upload slot means I can only upload 1 torrent at a time (?)

No, it means you can only upload to 1 person per torrent. It's perfect that you want to give back, but if your upload speed only allows 1 slot, then opening more will slow down both uploads and downloads.

deathxxl
05.12.09, 18:51

This is killing my router. I don't use more than 8 halfopen connection. Or i get trouble with router on wi-fi.

shadowww
05.12.09, 22:09
Wouldn't hurt if you mention which router you have.

hbk
29.12.09, 23:32
where is the option of Protocol Encryption in utorrent

anon
29.12.09, 23:33
Preferences -> BitTorrent

hbk
29.12.09, 23:36
thanks for quick reply
there r 3 options disabled, forced , enabled
which option is to b used for max speed

anon
29.12.09, 23:38
there r 3 options disabled, forced , enabled
which option is to b used for max speed

Use common sense. :eek: Or uTorrent's help. But since you seem to be unable to do that, I think I'll reply.

Disabled means encryption won't be used unless a peer needs it. Enabled means uTorrent will accept and initiate encrypted connections - this is the best setting. Forced means it will accept encrypted connections only.

hbk
29.12.09, 23:41
my post counter changed to 6 instead of 60 :confused2:
before this post it was 59

anon
29.12.09, 23:41
my post counter changed to 6 instead of 60 :confused2:

I decided to only make your useful posts count. Consider it an incentive to use Search before asking questions. :pfeifender smilie:

hbk
29.12.09, 23:45
I decided to only make your useful posts count. Consider it an incentive yo use Search before asking questions. :pfeifender smilie:

ohhhhh:shockkk!:
nd i thought that it is due to some malfunctioning of the site:smile:

GotIt
30.12.09, 10:26
Lol don't really worry about the post count...

Just make sure every post is valuable to this site. I mean heck, some threads/posts ive seen may as well be worth every post I've ever made. That's how awesome some people are xD

and awesome new banner ! Thanks to whoever made it !!!

saebrtooth
31.12.09, 23:51
Searched for a well seeded and leeched torrent. I tried out utorrent with default settings, let it run for a few hours. Restarted and then with the Aurion's tweaks and I confirm that I did see a difference in more consistently higher bandwidth utilisation.

Since Im using Win7 x64 i had to try these out in VMwear XP so RMR could work.

Thanks Aurion :wink:

sann
14.07.12, 21:14
i tried but i cant feel any difference:icon_angry[1]:

THC
15.02.13, 20:10
Hey anon. Will you please make a summary of the most important settings for uTorrent? Much appreciated. :smile:

anon
15.02.13, 22:23
Well, there are many. Do you have anything in mind or just want general tips?

THC
16.02.13, 16:18
General, the most important ones... Those that will definitely make a difference.

anon
23.02.13, 05:11
Sorry for not answering before, but I didn't have time to go through this at the time. Anyway, here it goes.

Under "Bandwidth"

Maximum upload rate (kB/s)

It is usually adviced to set this to 80% of your maximum upload speed to avoid line saturation, although you can go up to 90% without a significant decrease in download rates, if you wish to upload as much as possible.

Global maximum number of connections
Maximum number of connected peers per torrent
Number of upload slots per torrent
Use additional upload slots if upload speed < 90%

These are delicate. The wrong settings have the potential to really affect speeds negatively. Personally, I've set them to 100 global, 20 per-torrent, 1 upload slot with additional slots enabled. This allows the use of my not so great upload speed in an efficient manner, and prevents downloads from slowing down due to opening more peer connections than it is necessary. Of course, that's for my Internet speed. A good guideline to finding your right values would be to open uTorrent's Speed Setup Guide, pick the closest match for your upload speed from the list, then dividing the given numbers for these settings by 3.

Under "BitTorrent"

Enable DHT Network
Enable DHT for new torrents
Enable Peer Exchange

If you only download from private trackers, turn all of these off. Otherwise, they're good to find more sources in public torrents; TPB for one only offers magnet links for torrents with more than 10 seeders, so they might even be required!

Enable bandwidth management

Turn this off. I'll cover this one with more detail in the Advanced section.

Enable Local Peer Discovery

I've been told this one also allows you to seek peers within high-speed "metropolitan" networks which some providers in e.g. Romania and Lithuania possess, in addition to regular LANs - which makes it desirable in that situation. That is not the case with my provider, so I am not able to conduct any tests... in any case, it'd be useless if your ISP doesn't have one of those.

Protocol Encryption

Just leave it disabled with legacy connections allowed. This encryption is useless and no longer serves its original purpose or any other one, really.

[U]Under "Queue"

Maximum number of active torrents (upload or download)
Maximum number of active downloads

I've set these to 1000000 and 1, respectively, so that I can seed as many things as I wish (not all of which will be uploading at the same time, that's a different thing), and downloads arrive one-by-one with maximum speed; if one stalls or goes very slow, thus clogging the queue, you can right-click -> Force Start it so that it ignores this setting.

Minimum ratio (%)
Minimum seeding time (minutes)
Minimum number of available seeds

Set them all to 0 so that there's no drama with seeding torrents suddenly stopping and preventing you from getting bonus points.

Under "Advanced"

bt.connect_speed

This controls how many connections uTorrent can open each second. The default of 7 is fine - I just want to let people know this exists :wwink:

bt.no_connect_to_services

Disallows connections on some default "service" ports (e-mail, IRC) so that your firewall won't complain. Set it to false so that you can reach peers who have chose to use those ports for whatever reason.

bt.transp_disposition

To quote the help file:

This option controls µTorrent's level of bias towards using TCP or uTP for transporting data (assuming the peer at the other end of the connection supports both transport protocols). The following is a list of the accepted values:
1 allows µTorrent to attempt outgoing TCP connections
2 allows µTorrent to attempt outgoing uTP connections
4 allows µTorrent to accept incoming TCP connections
8 allows µTorrent to accept incoming uTP connections
16 tells µTorrent to use the new uTP header. This is an improved communication header, but is not backwards compatible with clients that do not understand it.

5 means uTP gets turned off. 10 means only uTP is allowed. 13 means incoming uTP connections are allowed, but otherwise TCP is always used. 13 might be the more desirable setting, as you will use the more efficient (in terms of bandwidth required) TCP, but allow uTP for those peers who want it. 255 means allow everything.

net.max_halfopen

Set this to 50. Don't forget you must have patched your TCPIP.SYS (http://half-open.com/) file if you're on Windows XP.

offers.left_rail_offer_enabled
offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled

Setting these to false gets rid of the advertising in uTorrent 3.

3.x.x introduced more advanced settings you can tweak, but I went back to 1.8.5 after trying to like those versions and failing at it, so I haven't had the chance to test them, and would rather not recommend values I haven't tried. Go here (http://www.netcheif.com/Articles/uTorrent/html/AppendixA_02_12.html) if you want to see a list and experiment yourself.

Under "Advanced -> Disk Cache"

Override automatic cache size and specify the size manually (MB)

Turn this on. For a home PC, 10% of your total installed RAM makes a good value.

Reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed
Turn off read caching if the upload speed is slow
Remove old blocks from the cache

Turn all of these off. This will make uTorrent use more memory, but reduce the stress uploading places on your hard drive(s) by reading from it as little as possible. On systems with enough of RAM, this is hardly a disadvantage and thus only desirable.

Hope it helps!

Unregistered
25.10.16, 16:53
Well,its ok buddy,I just felt strange when you replied to parts of my topic in no extra infos way !! However you mentioned some nice explanations of few parts which is quite good !! Just try to reply to parts not being handled well !! Anyway,thnx for my "Thanks Point" & take it easy :top:

Aurion, I think your original tut was just fine and I have no idea why dude had to confuse everything by going over your information line by line, adding stuff, unnecessary confusing silly stuff.
Pretty much just took your cool tutorial and scrubbed it, tried to make it his own, negating almost everything you said while at the same time validating your words and helpful information.
Just basically attempting to instigate a negativity to your tut.
That's called "trolling" I think.

anon
26.10.16, 05:57
Aurion, I think your original tut was just fine and I have no idea why dude had to confuse everything by going over your information line by line, adding stuff, unnecessary confusing silly stuff.
Pretty much just took your cool tutorial and scrubbed it, tried to make it his own, negating almost everything you said while at the same time validating your words and helpful information.
Just basically attempting to instigate a negativity to your tut.
That's called "trolling" I think.

Yeah, fuck me for politely adding to the tutorial and clearing possible misconceptions.