PDA

View Full Version : Virus.Win32.Gpcode.ak

anon
06.06.08, 22:44
We've detected a new variant of Gpcode – a dangerous file-encryptor. It encrypts a whole variety of user files, targeting files with extensions such as DOC, TXT, PDF, XLS, JPG, PNG, CPP, H etc. If you're a regular visitor to Viruslist, you might remember reading about Gpcode a couple of years ago.

We recently started getting reports from infected victims, analysed a sample, and added detection for Gpcode.ak to our antivirus databases yesterday, on June 4th. However, although we detect the virus itself, we can't currently decrypt files encrypted by Gpcode.ak – the RSA encryption implemented in the malware uses a very strong, 1024 bit key.

Viruslist.com - Analyst's Diary (http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=208187524)

gpcode was that virus that encrypted your stuff and asked you to buy a decrypter from the authors to get the data back... :icon_angry[1]:

edit: now that i think it, why doesn't kapersky just disguise as an infected user, buy the decrypter, then reverse-engineer it and release a fix? :tongue:

Aurion
15.06.08, 11:40
edit: now that i think it, why doesn't kapersky just disguise as an infected user, buy the decrypter, then reverse-engineer it and release a fix? :tongue:

Sounds Like an Evil Idea for Making Money !! You can Join The Most criminalist cartel dude !! :biggrin:

anon
15.06.08, 18:20
lol :smile:

if i worked at an AV i wouldn't care too much about money, it'd make me happy to see users being able to recover from virus infections (or not being infected at all) :biggrin:

believe me, i know how frustrating it is to lose all your stuff thanks to a virus. you start thinking about the info all your files had and that now you're unable to retrieve...