PDA

View Full Version : Tricky ways to get Around Bitorrent protocol Throttling.

n4overclock
16.07.12, 17:31
well first i wanna give a tnx to all the members who have helped in this matter directly or indirectly,
it took me a litttle while to figure out all the tricky methods that my isp uses to detect Bitorrent traffic and from there help throttling those packets, once the throttling start any encrypted stream will get pretty much (in my case shudown) the throttling will be disabled after 10 min if you stop trying since you wouldn't get flagged again..

while alternative solutions such as vpn's or seedbox's can be implemented to get around the isp's bitorrent throttling the best quickest and least expensive solution is just to hide your stuff

you should know that simply forcing encryption is not enough since ips's got really good at figuring out how this protocol work..

im gonna explain this for utorrent/userenity users but this stuff should work on any clients..

get the latest TOR version fom here
https://archive.torproject.org/tor-package-archive/win32/?C=M;O=D

this will simply be used to encrypt the packet header that the clients use to announce to the tracker.. you need to run it and leave it open each time you run utorrent (it will not be used to pass Bitorrent data trough)

now lets go to utorrent Preferences

Connection tab:
disable NAT-pmp port mapping
make the proxy socks5 127.0.0.1 the port is 9050
uncheck everything on the bottom

Bitorrent tab:
disable everything except for local peer discovery and peer exchange
change the encryption mode to forced and don't allow legacy connections..

Advanced tab:
change "bt.transp.diposition" value to 5 and press set
change "net.upnp.tcp_only" value to true

apply all the settings

now to test things i would recommend restarting the client, router and remember to run TOR each time before utorrent

hope this helps.

anon
16.07.12, 19:42
I covered this method a long time ago, not with Tor though.

http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?threadid=4279?highlight=semi-anonymous

You're saying that if you proxify your tracker announces only, they don't throttle your BT traffic? That's interesting to say the least.

n4overclock
16.07.12, 20:15
I covered this method a long time ago, not with Tor though.

http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthread.php?threadid=4279?highlight=semi-anonymous

You're saying that if you proxify your tracker announces only, they don't throttle your BT traffic? That's interesting to say the least.

that's correct because there's no way they can target the encrypted data effectively instead they just go for the packet header of the announcing wihch is widely exposed and that's not the only thing used to trigger the switch..
also most proxy's and vpn's will Throttle the data them selves intentionally and/or because of the long ping

Lucius
24.07.12, 11:56
What about activating the encryption feature in torrent client ? Isn't this feature encrypt the BT traffic but the announce which can be encrypted using Tor ?

anon
24.07.12, 19:32
What about activating the encryption feature in torrent client ? Isn't this feature encrypt the BT traffic but the announce which can be encrypted using Tor ?

That's a feeble encryption which can be easily seen through. Only RC4 encryption with no fallbacks (as provided by Vuze, for example) has a chance of working.

Lucius
24.07.12, 21:55
Only RC4 encryption with no fallbacks (as provided by Vuze, for example) has a chance of working.

so vuze client using the RC4 encryption in addition to Tor equal the full stealth ?

anon
24.07.12, 22:02
Yes, I suppose you could achieve a reasonable degree of security if you use full encryption and Tor for tracker announces. RC4 conceals your BT traffic from passive sniffing, and Tor hides your tracker communications. They can always see you're using lots of bandwidth for transferring something though, nothing can hide that.

brynvp
04.03.13, 18:35
As a Vuze user I would appreciate it if you might be able to translate the utorrent instructions for Tor tracker announces to a Vuze config/setting change. Thanks!

Yes, I suppose you could achieve a reasonable degree of security if you use full encryption and Tor for tracker announces. RC4 conceals your BT traffic from passive sniffing, and Tor hides your tracker communications. They can always see you're using lots of bandwidth for transferring something though, nothing can hide that.

anon
05.03.13, 18:36
http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=13918

bmb
04.09.13, 15:50
thanks for post.
however i followed ALL of the above religiously and nothing is downloading. a few are trying to connect, but feeble and then giving up.

before throttling getting up to 1mb transfers

please help.

anon
04.09.13, 17:01
Advanced tab:
change "bt.transp.diposition" value to 5 and press set

Instead of 5, try 10 or 26 for this parameter and see what happens.

leus
04.09.13, 18:39
thanks for post.
however i followed ALL of the above religiously and nothing is downloading. a few are trying to connect, but feeble and then giving up.

before throttling getting up to 1mb transfers

please help.Buy a seedbox and help spreading the love faster.

bmb
04.09.13, 19:46
Instead of 5, try 10 or 26 for this parameter and see what happens.

exactly the same!
its as though utorrent cannot see any peers; could this be to do with TOR?

bmb
06.09.13, 13:36
any ideas?
thanks