PDA

View Full Version : Useless Accounts Management

Master Razor
12.06.12, 18:42
We have a lot of users that create free accounts and then throw them away (inactivity, lost user/pass, hate ban...). Why not put them to good use?

The internet is filled with so-called services that provide free accounts for usage on specific forums and even trackers. This is useful when a users goes to a forum and needs to ask a question but he doesn't have an account. Naturally, laziness comes in...
A similar thing I'd want on SB-I: a list of accounts freely available to members. Each can send accounts he/she doesn't use anymore or rarely use. This will be a big help for those users that open threads like: is my game on x tracker???

Post your thoughts.

anon
12.06.12, 21:11
What about those trackers that keep IP logs? The database becomes a honeypot.

SealLion
13.06.12, 04:03
We have a lot of users that create free accounts and then throw them away (inactivity, lost user/pass, hate ban...). Why not put them to good use?

The internet is filled with so-called services that provide free accounts for usage on specific forums and even trackers. This is useful when a users goes to a forum and needs to ask a question but he doesn't have an account. Naturally, laziness comes in...
A similar thing I'd want on SB-I: a list of accounts freely available to members. Each can send accounts he/she doesn't use anymore or rarely use. This will be a big help for those users that open threads like: is my game on x tracker???

Post your thoughts.

Are you talking about torrent site, Master Razor? Or just discussion board sites in general??

The thing that I find with this idea is that first, it's a good idea that does have some merit; however, the guy who you could be giving your account away could very well wreck things for you as well. Considering anon's response above, for sure the database becomes a nice honeypot for any number of adverse events and things that you didn't really look forward to. The guy who you could be giving your account to could do you and your IP some unforeseen unhappy turn of events. Just my 2 cents, though. Good idea and has some merit, but some things to consider though.

Master Razor
13.06.12, 20:34
What about those trackers that keep IP logs? The database becomes a honeypot.
Correct but I don't think anyone will look that close on low-level trackers and below.

Are you talking about torrent site, Master Razor? Or just discussion board sites in general??
Mostly trackers but everything is welcome as long as it has something do to with torrents (scene and stuff).

the guy who you could be giving your account away could very well wreck things for you as well
There is no way to control this.
I'm thinking only new trackers. Some of us register on new trackers just for curiosity. So, whenever a user creates an account and isn't pleased it will send it here.

For the big-player trackers I suggest we make a sticky thread for requesting torrents. A users wants a game from site x. I have that site (and a lot of buffer) and I can send him that torrent. Provided he finishes it within a reasonable number of hours. After that: reset passkey.

chago
24.06.12, 23:01
I don't think this is a good idea because a lot of trackers now have in-built systems that automatically flag a user or an account if it registers multiple IPs within a short period a time (or even if it exceeds a certain # of different IPs). Imagine 100 users signing into one account at once. Also, how are you going to control people who will download torrents? An account with 100 unique downloaders from all across the globe will get banned within the hour.