PDA

View Full Version : [Windows] Any software to lock files on Portable hard drive or pen drive

hellman
12.06.12, 14:18
Can anyone recommend any software to lock or hide files from pen drive or portable hdd ? i want my personal stuff locked.. n yea one should b able to copy it or move it... any ideas friends?:top:

anon
12.06.12, 14:53
When I wanted to hide some files in my memory card, I used the old CLSID trick. You rename the folder that contains them to something like

Shortcut to My Documents.{450d8fba-ad25-11d0-98a8-0800361b1103}

And when opened, it takes you to "my documents" instead of showing the files inside. If you rename it back, this is undone. That will work for the noobs. If you want something better, try Folder Lock 7.

saebrtooth
12.06.12, 18:13
If your using Windows 7 Pro, you can use the built-in encryption that makes everything you encrypt only accessible by your account. You will need to encrypt contents of the folder and not simply the folder name.
Others will be able to see the names but not able to see its real contents even if they managed to bypass Windows 7 and copy the encrypted contents.

Hiding files is ok but not as secure as encrypting it when considering security-wise.

edit...
One more thing your external drive needs to be formatted to ntfs in order for Windows encryption to work

shoulder
12.06.12, 18:29
If you want your files to be safe you must encrypt them.
Hiding, locking, ... doesn't provide any security.

xamxam
09.07.12, 13:54
use bitlocker if your windows 7 supports.i encrypt my harddrives with it.

supermarrioh
11.07.12, 10:46
Truecrypt Portable Containers with Variable size should fit your needs.