PDA

View Full Version : Torrentin on home Wifi

Mihai
13.05.11, 21:40
Hi guys. I just got my new speeds and also I've got wifi so I can use the pc and laptop at the same time connected to the internet. Cool.
But, the problem is, I'm having problems with the wifi. When torrents are on, even if not seeding or leeching I just can't connect to any website. After I close utorrent everything comes to normal so it's clear there is a problem here.

Also, it's strange that I connected another cable to the modem( a Cisco model) and I couldn't get more than 19-20 Mbps out of 25 even though the pc was turned off. When I connected the cable used for my pc the speed was awesome. So wtf? I'm confused and I also wanna run torrents on my laptop.

Any advices?

Nobody
13.05.11, 23:37
Okay. Well there's several issues there.

You probably have too many open connections on the router. What router did you get? You may be able to install custom firmware to increase the number of allowed connections, in addition to enabling some features that will streamline what traffic gets priority over other traffic (web > torrents)

I don't really understand your second question. Could you explain it more fully?

Blocker
14.05.11, 02:40
The same happens to me,if I'm downloading with my laptop my desktop computer is really slow and vice versa. The problem is due to the fact you're consuming your bandwidth resources I think.

Nobody
14.05.11, 04:23
With a properly configured network, you should rarely notice... sans maybe streaming video or something similar.

(going to be away from my computer for a few days, but I'll reply at least once a day if needed)

Sazzy
14.05.11, 13:34
The same happens to me,if I'm downloading with my laptop my desktop computer is really slow and vice versa. The problem is due to the fact you're consuming your bandwidth resources I think.

while your comment makes sense, it's irrelevant since he already noted it also happens when utorrent is just turned on without actually consuming anything.