PDA

View Full Version : Calibrate Your Monitor

Resurrection
09.03.11, 05:49
How to Calibrate Your Monitor (http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor)

----------------

http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=9853

Many of us spend a small fortune on our camera equipment trying to get the best quality we can, yet so many of us miss out on an important step that can make a huge difference to our photos.

That step is to calibrate your monitor. You can view the same image on the same computer, and just swap the monitor for another and that image will look different on each monitor you try (even monitors of the same brand and model may not be exactly the same).

As a result, you can’t be 100% sure that your images’ colour balance, hue, contrast and brightness are set correctly. You may be lucky in that your monitor is set up fairly well by default, but this can not be expected.

The image below is a photo of a section of my laptop screen (it is an actual photo, doing a screen grab won’t capture the effect the monitor has). Actually, it’s a composite of two photos – the upper right half is with no monitor profile, the lower left half is with the profile active. As you can see, by default, my laptop screen is a tad too dark and has a horrible blue cast – this is something I had not noticed until I had calibrated it.

If I edit an image, set its colour balance and brightness and contrast with the uncalibrated screen, I will be unwittingly compensating for that extra blue I see, so I will end up adding yellow, or taking blue away to make it look correct – this means that any resulting prints will have a yellow cast. You will then spend ages swearing at your printer, fiddling with its colour profiles and wasting loads of ink and paper (and money). If you’re lucky, some labs will colour correct images for you – but don’t expect professional labs to do so as they expect you to make sure it’s correct beforehand (unless you ask – they won’t change an image in case they “mess up” and intentional effect).

So, by calibrating your monitor, you are “standardising“ it – any photo you edit on your calibrated monitor should look the same on any other calibrated monitor, and should also print with little or no adjustment, and it should come back from the lab and look as you expected.

-----------

I'm sure a lot of us here consider themselves closet-photographers.
This technique is a good idea to test your hardware to see if its giving you the colour,contrast or hue that is to your liking.

X-Rite is not free but when has that been a problem for us? :biggrin:

mammamia11
09.03.11, 11:56
this is a good way to calibrate monitors, i used many deferent calibration software to fix my 55" LCD TV and the picture get at acceptable levle but to get the ultimate calibration, the hardware calibration tools is the best. i have seen what they can do to compare with this method and they are unbeatable.

many of us cant afford hardware calib cuz they cost like 300 dollar and more but this way is ok as well

Mr. Crane
03.04.11, 16:14
I don't feel this is important enough to buy a special tool which would allow me to calibrate the monitor, but if you are in the designing industry for example, you might very well need it. I sort of managed to figure out approximately what's looking good and what isn't over the years without using any special equipment, so it isn't really an issue - I simply tend not to worry about the little details.

splam
03.04.11, 19:43
Even a non pro can get a hardware colorimeter at a low price. I have the Huey Pro and it works good for my needs. Much better than trying to do it with software only.
They cost 72 dollars at Amazon but you can find them even cheaper on sale or at Ebay.

Mr. Crane
03.04.11, 23:58
Even a non pro can get a hardware colorimeter at a low price. I have the Huey Pro and it works good for my needs. Much better than trying to do it with software only.
They cost 72 dollars at Amazon but you can find them even cheaper on sale or at Ebay.

That's still a hefty price to pay for something you might not really need. Any arguments that would convince us to buy one?