PDA

View Full Version : hard drive (ssd)

mammamia11
27.01.11, 00:52
i need to understand how this works so i will try to explane my question as good as i can.

i haveone big hdd in my PC, i made one system partition and the rest is for storege.

now i want to install a SSD drive so i can boost my system performance, the question now is the new SSD drive is only for windows and nothing else will be installed there, does that mean if i install a game on my storge drive there will be no increasing in the performance?

is it only gonna be faster to load game or program contents by installing them on a SSD drive?

i hope you understand my question, im wondring this cuz i dont have enough money to buy SSD drive bigger then 60 GB

anon
27.01.11, 02:31
Files located in the SSD drive will benefit from the faster data transfer speeds. If you try to load files that are not in that drive, they will not benefit from its presence in any way, for all effective purposes.

ParamouR
27.01.11, 08:36
i need to understand how this works so i will try to explane my question as good as i can.

i haveone big hdd in my PC, i made one system partition and the rest is for storege.

now i want to install a SSD drive so i can boost my system performance, the question now is the new SSD drive is only for windows and nothing else will be installed there, does that mean if i install a game on my storge drive there will be no increasing in the performance?

is it only gonna be faster to load game or program contents by installing them on a SSD drive?

i hope you understand my question, im wondring this cuz i dont have enough money to buy SSD drive bigger then 60 GB

You would be using SSD for Games I'm surprised. In general people use SSD for keeping the System Kernal / OS as in for multiple OS's like Linux, Mac, Windows and Unix.
What I suggest is if you want to boost your system performance install just the OS there and keep the SSD empty or just maximum till partially full. I don't think storing Games on SSD would make the boot time less :gnoes:

mammamia11
27.01.11, 18:54
Sbiparamour : installing games on ssd wont give any FPS boost indeed but it will make the loading time mutch better then the normal drive, too bad they are still expensive. thanx for helping guys.

Suun
28.01.11, 13:40
I am looking to get a SSD for myself, but its to expensive. There is no doubt the drive will make thins faster, the loading times for games and OS is the main reason i want it.

desodorante
28.01.11, 13:57
Yes and no. If your OS is in the SSD and your game in the HDD, you will allocate all of the I/O of the HDD to the game, which you may or may not notice, it depends on your OS config (Think of caches, buffers, Virtual RAM and running processes like AV, Firewalls etc).
By having fasting load times (both you loading the game and the game loading stuff like textures or models), a faster Virtual Ram, and no other processes using the HDD you should get a better performance, but do not expect too much, just I/O performance.
Using the SSD for gaming is not a good idea.

mammamia11
28.01.11, 14:23
Yes and no. If your OS is in the SSD and your game in the HDD, you will allocate all of the I/O of the HDD to the game, which you may or may not notice, it depends on your OS config (Think of caches, buffers, Virtual RAM and running processes like AV, Firewalls etc).
By having fasting load times (both you loading the game and the game loading stuff like textures or models), a faster Virtual Ram, and no other processes using the HDD you should get a better performance, but do not expect too much, just I/O performance.
Using the SSD for gaming is not a good idea.

ok let us assume that i have PC with lots of power and memory, if i install a game on the SSD that i have my windows system in it will not give me better performance than the other HDD? isnit the I/O alocating in the SSD mutch faster then the HDD?

retaehc
02.02.11, 15:35
faster loading saving time atleast, cheap SSD won't give big boost though.

Nobody
02.02.11, 17:10
I bought in to the whole hard drive thing a while ago and got a really nice raptor (10k rpm) hard drive before SSD's were out. Everyone here is right... you'd see an improvement in load times, but not in real-world performance.

And if your playing multiplayer games, you still have to wait for all the slow-loaders before starting anyway... so it's kind of wasted most of the time.

desodorante
03.02.11, 14:00
ok let us assume that i have PC with lots of power and memory, if i install a game on the SSD that i have my windows system in it will not give me better performance than the other HDD? isnit the I/O alocating in the SSD mutch faster then the HDD?

I haven't read that much about SSDs (lately) but I understand they have some sort of a read/write cycle limit (Flash memories actually) and once that number is reached, the SSD becomes unreliable, because the memory is deteriorated.
Maybe this is not the case with your SSD, but having a Swap page-less windows installation running in an SSD sounds like a pretty stable configuration, at least when compared with Copying ISOs, installing, playing and uninstalling games.
You should Google a bit more about your SSD drive