PDA

View Full Version : Software for converting?!

yoco
22.12.10, 18:16
Hy! So I have a bunch of MKV files that have Vorbis audio codec (ogg), but my TV doesn't support it, so I need to convert it to AAC or AC3. Now I was using PopCorn Audio Converter until now. It seems a new version is buggy, and I can't convert no matter how I try. Anyway, I need you guys to recommend me some good software for this!
:smile:

anon
22.12.10, 18:17
SUPER, viDrop.

piratemeister
22.12.10, 18:18
I always use FormatFactory for any tipe of conversion, it support all formats... also images!!! And is free!!! :top:

Try it, I hope can be useful for you.

ParamouR
22.12.10, 18:21
Have you tried NCH Switch. Its quiet good for ripping of any kinds of audio. Most of the files I converted were like done properly like 95% success :lol:

yoco
23.12.10, 22:39
I tried with almost every one you guys recommended, but I just wasn't happy with the result, so I googled and googled until i found an older version of my default converter. So far it's working just fine :D

anon
23.12.10, 23:21
We love you too!

On a sidenote, I never got the latest viDrop to work, either - having to use 0.55 instead.

piratemeister
23.12.10, 23:51
We love you too!

I love my girlfriend... :D (not yoco)

(I know you will delete this post because spam...)

anon
23.12.10, 23:59
(I know you will delete this post because spam...)

I'm fine with a slight off-topic on an otherwise serious thread.

I wouldn't delete off-topic posts even if they completely derailed this thread, anyway. Moving them to the spam one is a better solution. :wtongue:

SomeGuy
24.12.10, 00:15
mkvtoolnix -- Matroska tools for Linux/Unix and Windows (http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html#windows)

yoco
24.12.10, 10:00
SomeGuy, one of the main software I use with my converter.

We love you too!.

Ohhhh, that's so sweet! Thnx anon! :D :D

RUBBER
24.12.10, 13:58
the best tool for that is eac3to (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Eac3to/How_to_Use) i know coz i am encoder

dreamer
24.12.10, 21:02
it seems you got it working this time, but for future reference, it's essentially like this, for every kind of video:

1. you need a demuxer to separate the file to audio and video.
2. then, you have 2 choices:
a. you'll need a decoder to decode the compressed audio stream (to a .wav file)
b. you'll need a converter that can convert the compressed audio to the format you want.
(3a). if you went with option a: you'll need an encoder to encode the uncompressed audio to the format you desire.
3. you need a muxer to mux the video and the new audio stream you created.

notes:
1. the 1 click programs you find just do all these steps automatically.
2. to find the program in each step all you need to search in google is "demux .*insert-extention-here* (ie .mkv)", "decode ogg", "encode aac" etc.

knowing how to do things is so much better than finding shareware tools to do it for you, both because it costs money (sometimes) and because it doesn't work (sometimes).

good luck!

Nobody
24.12.10, 23:00
I've always used Xilsoft Video Converter for all my random video conversion needs. I do believe it would work in your case, if you ever need another solution from the one you found.

Pliplo
25.12.10, 21:16
I've always used Xilsoft Video Converter for all my random video conversion needs. I do believe it would work in your case, if you ever need another solution from the one you found.

Yes, its realy very good.
I use it too, and it works fine.

yoco
30.12.10, 10:36
So I have another question. But this one is a bit different. I downloaded two albums, I think they're ripped from iTunes, and they're not in MP3 format, but in M4A. Now the bitrate is 256kbps, and I want to convert them to mp3. What I wanna know, should I convert it also in 256kbps or is AAC codec superior?

piratemeister
30.12.10, 10:51
I always use Mp3, also because is compatible to all platform.

anon
30.12.10, 19:34
I always use Mp3, also because is compatible to all platform.

Install vanilla Ubuntu on your PC and try to play an MP3 audio file. See what happens. :happy:

You can install the codec, however, and Linux Mint comes bundled with those.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:31 ----------

I downloaded two albums, I think they're ripped from iTunes, and they're not in MP3 format, but in M4A. Now the bitrate is 256kbps, and I want to convert them to mp3. What I wanna know, should I convert it also in 256kbps or is AAC codec superior?

There was a method to convert M4A files to something else without transcoding, which decreases quality.

dreamer
31.12.10, 22:34
regarding the 256 question, 256 to 256 in any format (mp3 or aac for that matter) doesn't mean the content remains exactly the same.

every transcode consists of 2 stages:
1. decode
2. encode

so it doesn't really matter matter, encoding it in 320 will also decrease the quality a little bit. every transcode does.
after the first encode (to aac in your case), information is already being cut. any further encode will decrease the quality too, but not in a level that makes a different to the average ear.

for the aac question: AAC is better than MP3 on paper. but in high bitrates there is hardly a difference.
read thoroughly here: Advanced Audio Coding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding#AAC.27s_improvements_over_MP 3)

AAC and HE-AAC are better than MP3 at low bit rates (typically less than 128 kilobits per second).... However, as bit rate increases, the efficiency of an audio format becomes less important relative to the efficiency of the encoder's implementation, and the intrinsic advantage AAC holds over MP3 no longer dominates audio quality.

I'd personally keep it in AAC.
if you're worried about compatibility issues, and still want to have good quality, get another copy of the album (if mp3 isn't available, grab flac and encode it to mp3, there's only 1 transcoding here because flac is lossless)

There was a method to convert M4A files to something else without transcoding, which decreases quality.
which way? I might be unaware but normally you need to decode the file to wav and encode it back again to mp3 (with LAME)

anon
31.12.10, 22:36
which way? I might be unaware but normally you need to decode the file to wav and encode it back again to mp3 (with LAME)

Correct, but this didn't convert to MP3, it rather extracted the audio stream on the M4A container to whatever format it's on.