PDA

View Full Version : Facebooks Apps leaking user IDs

Resurrection
19.10.10, 06:12
Everybody has harping on me about security during our CC discussion...I wonder how they'll react to this....

Major Facebook apps have been leaking user IDs, including FarmVille (http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/major-facebook-apps-have-been-leaking-user-ids-including-farmville/)

Facebook's most popular apps, including FarmVille, have been leaking user IDs to advertising networks, confirmed the social network.

Facebook cannot seem to get its act together. Fresh off a string of controversies about protecting the information users wish to keep private, the world’s largest social network has admitted that many of its largest games and applications have been leaking user IDs to advertising networks. In fact, the 10 most widely used games and apps on Facebook are transmitting these UIDs, says the Wall Street Journal. Three of the top 10 apps, including Zynga Game Network Inc.’s FarmVille (59 million users) also transmit personal information about a users friends to other companies.

The user ID is the number associated with every user on the site. Before Facebook allowed customized URLs for profile pages, it was easy for anyone to find this number. The user ID is not a private part of a person’s Facebook profile. Knowing someone’s UID will only grant access to the information that user has set to share with “everyone,” which is usually very basic pieces of data like pictures, hometown, age, job, musical preferences, etc. However, when given in bulk, these numbers can provide a database of track-able information to advertisers.

Facebook’s Mike Vernal publicly responded to the controversy on the company’s developer blog, claiming that many publishers have, in fact, violated its privacy policy by sharing UIDs with ad networks, but added that most companies “did not intend to pass this information, but did so because of the technical details of how browsers work.”

This is not the first UID leak problem the company has faced. In May, the WSJ discovered that Facebook itself was sharing UIDs with advertising networks through its ad sales. Much like today, Facebook admitted the problem and claimed it did not intend to share the user IDs. The company says that the current problem is more challenging.

Still, there are 550,000 third party apps on Facebook and 70 percent of the companies 500 million users utilize at least one app each month. Holding all-hands security meetings is nice, but Facebook must prove it is capable of honoring and enforcing its own privacy policy.

------------------

If you think about it,Facebook must have number of high profile backers.Obviously these guys are after the most valuable asset FB owns - User Identity and Data
What else could Mark Zuckerberg have done but share the data?
What would YOU have done if you were in his place?

I hate Social Networking with a passion and news like these only strengthen my stand against these unnecessary evils...

slikrapid
19.10.10, 18:52
,Facebook must have number of high profile backers.

the same applies to any big/over-sized/transnational company, they didn't reach that size by being honest/transparent/considerate/benign, as their aim is to reach a powerful position as close to a monopoly as possible, by using every dirty trick they can think of (and get away with it)

Obviously these guys are after the most valuable asset FB owns - User Identity and Data

not only that, but also after everything that can lead to bigger profits/power/control - after a while the roles are reversed, now the monopolist controls and steers the market behavior/rules/trends, from social analysts they become social engineers (thats what some of the high profile backers are after)

I hate Social Networking

social networking has its place in the society, preferably free (or substantially reduced) from big brother's & co. prying eyes/lurking spies/engineers/data collectors/miners/sellers, hidden deals/contracts/ownership and such

Clair
21.10.10, 02:35
I knew this was going on, thats the #no1 reason I am not on it.
but I bet if you read there terms they are covered!!! makes me so mad :(