PDA

View Full Version : Intel Core i3 Vs i5 Vs i7

Resurrection
19.10.10, 05:16
In case you need a little help in choosing I found this very informative review between the three cores...

I must say Intel are the Rank.1s of marketing...

Change the name,add a few features,make a flashy/clever ad and boom you've created a new market and a new buzz...
Although that can be said for any Organization in general,none are as relevant here as Intel...

So here goes...

---------

Intel Core i3 Vs i5 Vs i7 (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/intel-core-i3-vs-i5-vs-i7.html)

Intel Core i3 Vs i5 Vs i7

If you are planning to buy a new desktop or laptop, you will notice the names of three new Intel created processor lines named core i3, core i5, and core i7 in the specifications. If you are undecided on whether to opt for the old core 2 duo models or go for these new lines, this article might help you decide. After reading through this article, you won't feel the need to make an Intel core i3 vs core 2 duo comparison. So how do the i3, i5 and i7 lines differ and what more do they offer compared to the older core 2 duo lines? That is what I explain through the core i3 vs core i5 vs core i7 comparison presented here.

Intel Core i3 Vs i5 Vs i7 Comparison

Intel has presented the new hierarchy of its processors with three classes. The entry level processors are the core i3 series, mid level processors are core i5 series and high end ones are the core i7 processors. Let us see how these three processor lines differ in terms of technical specifications and performance.

Core i3 Vs i5 Vs i7: Technical Specifications

Let us begin with the core i3 line. Core i3 5xx (Clarkdale) series launched in January 2010 consists of three processors (i3-530, i3-540 and i3-550) with a clocking frequency ranging from 2933 MHz to 3200 MHz. All three processors have a 2x256 KB L2 cache, 4MB L3 smart cache with DMI (direct media interface) bus and are fitted with the new LGA 1156 socket. All three processors have two cores and an integrated GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) and are based on a 32 nm architecture which enables more transistors to be placed on a chip compared to the earlier 45 nm architecture.

The processors have two cores and four threads backed by Intel's hyperthreading and virtualization technology that enhances the multitasking ability of these chips. Hyperthreading is simultaneous multithreading ability. The Intel HD graphics technology offers great visual performance. All in all, the core i3 series is a great entry level chip that offers all that a home user needs including high quality 3D graphics and great multitasking ability. The price for all the chips is around $133. Other than these processors Intel has developed i3, i5 and i7 lines for mobile phones too.

Now let us move to the second part of our core i3 vs i5 vs i7 comparison and discuss the core i5 line of processors. This family of processors consists of three lines of processors which include the core i5 7xx, core i5 7xxS and core i5 6xx series. They have processor clocking frequencies ranging from 2.4 GHz to 3.33 GHz which can be enhanced by Intel's new Turbo Boost technology. Some processors have 4 cores with 4 threads (core i5-7xx and core i5-7xxS Lynnfield series) and some with 2 cores and 4 threads (core i5- 6xx Clarkdale Series with hyperthreading disabled). Most have an 8MB L3 cache, with LGA 1156 socket, direct media interface and integrated GPU. All are enabled with Intel Turbo Boost technology, Intel HD graphics and Intel Smart Cache technology. Prices range from $176 to $256. Core i5 have the edge over the core i3 processors in terms of the Turbo Boost technology that makes them faster and powerful.

Let us now move towards the last part of the intel core i3 vs i5 vs i7 comparison and discuss the core i7 processor family. The core i7 family of processors are built to outperform. They consist of eight different series of processors. Dubbed by Intel to be 'The Best Processors On the Planet', these are quad core processors with 8 threads with clocking frequencies touching 3.06 GHz which can be enhanced to 3.33 GHz with Intel's Turbo Boost and Hyperthreading Technology.

With 8 MB of smart cache which reaches 12 MB in the Gulftown line, these processors are nothing short of phenomenal. With 3 channels of DDR3 1066 MHz memory that is backed by an integrated memory controller and Intel's QuickPath Interconnect technology (that enables upto 25.6 GB/Sec of data transfer speed), the core i7 processors are simply unbeatable. The prices range from $320 to $1000.

Core i3 Vs i5 Vs i7: Performance

In terms of performance, if you make a core i3 vs i5 vs i7 comparison, the graph rises higher as you go from the i3 line, through the i5 line towards the core i7 line. Core i3 is a great entry level processor that offers high definition graphics and 3D capabilities and ensures that multitasking wouldn't take a toll on computer speed. This is the default pick for home users with desktop computers.

The core i5 line is speedier and more powerful than the i3 line offering all that the i3 series offers and yet goes beyond in terms of performance. The Turbo Boost technology along with hyperthreading technology enables two different tasks to be handled by two different processors which increases processing speed. They are the best processors for laptops with a high level of multitasking needs.

A core i5 vs core i7 comparison reveals that the i7 lines are simply miles ahead of the two other processor lines. The i3 vs i5 vs i7 benchmark tests reveal core i7 processors to be the clear winners. The i7 line has an inherent advantage provided by the four cores. A quad core vs dual core comparison will reveal the edge that more cores give a processor. You can develop 3D games and images, go for video editing and get an unparalleled gaming experience. Core i7 line places phenomenal computing power at your fingertips.

Hope this straightforward core i3 vs i5 vs i7 comparison has cleared any doubts you had about these new processor lines developed by Intel. Opt for core i3 processors if you are a home user with graphic intensive application usage and mainly multimedia use. Core i5 processors are for people who want to go for intensive gaming and run heavy programs. The top of the line core i7 processors are best for people who want to go for intensive multitasking and are designed for computers that have to function as web servers or database servers, video editing workstations or developer workstations. They are designed for business use. However, all depends on how much are you willing to pay for a new laptop or desktop. If you can afford it, why not go for a top of the line processor of the core i7 line? The decision is yours of course. Choose any processor from any line but my personal recommendation would be to go for the mid level core i5 series, which is cost effective, reasonably priced and offers real value for your money!

---------------

My friends keep telling me its ultra-fast but I think its the Placebo Effect...

yoco
19.10.10, 15:32
I know Intel's units are better than AMDs, but for some reason I just can't get my self to buy it!

peepin
27.10.10, 09:57
Compare the performance with price you will love AMD more sometimes.

yoman
06.11.10, 19:39

i feel opposite to what u have said...... performance intel is much better.....

ParamouR
06.11.10, 20:30
I would buy amd just because its cheaper than Intel and you get almost like the same performance or even higher than Intel ones in that particular price. ;)
AMD Rules for me!!

Sazzy
06.11.10, 20:40
I would buy amd just because its cheaper than Intel and you get almost like the same performance or even higher than Intel ones in that particular price. ;)
AMD Rules for me!!

Tbh, prices are hardly different when I go through the lists. Performance was the same about 5 years ago but lately, this is not true anymore at all.

kelly
07.11.10, 09:40
All though from a hardware perspective , we've reached miles head with the core numbers increasing once in every two year, from a software perspective we're still lagging. Without software being optimized all the hardware powers is a waste. Due to the immense marketing wave created by Intel, software developers are now gaining momentum on optimizing applications for multicore processors.
As far the topic is concerned , AMD is tad future proof with respect to hardware, wherein you don't have to invest in an altogether new motherboard . It's not the same case in Intel, once in 2 year there's a new technology and every alternative year they improve their fab manufacturing process like 45nm,32nm etc.

Sazzy
07.11.10, 10:32
It's not the same case in Intel, once in 2 year there's a new technology and every alternative year they improve their fab manufacturing process like 45nm,32nm etc.

While that might be true, it's hardly true that you are required to buy a new processor every 2 years, unless you get the cheapest one you can find. If you get a mid-range type, you can easily go, say, 5 years without having to change. Tbh, I don't mind buying a new motherboard after that time, as you know you're getting something a lot better for your money.

improve their fab manufacturing process like 45nm,32nm etc.
That's a good thing, though, isn't it?! I'd rather that they do, than don't.

As a side note, Intel doesn't force you to get new hardware every 2 years. Nor does the actual hardware (except the cheapest ones) force you since it keeps running decently for far longer than that. By decently I mean it's power is high enough to do whatever you want.

gatalakka
12.11.10, 12:39
32nm will be out in a month or two from intel. wait for that. I'll be upgrading once sandy bridge -e comes out. (have q6600 @ 3.2ghz currently)

ParamouR
26.11.10, 06:25
Tbh, prices are hardly different when I go through the lists. Performance was the same about 5 years ago but lately, this is not true anymore at all.

tbh?? :confused: I have HP Pavillion, AMD Athlon 64 X2. It works great even better than my brother's Acer- i5 460m. Well at least AMD doesn't lag as much as Intel for me:tongue:

32nm will be out in a month or two from intel. wait for that. I'll be upgrading once sandy bridge -e comes out. (have q6600 @ 3.2ghz currently)
I also want to see what Intel has now, the 32nm Process and improved Graphics Efficiency etc.

Anyhow most of Intel's new architectures seem to be weak on DMA bandwidth. If you can't get your data to the CPU it doesn't matter how fast the CPU is. :wink2:

sbonly
21.12.10, 10:00
omg :| prices are too high , keep AMD
anyway, my opinion is to put the money will not tortured. How soon appear on the synthetic diamond processors, where heat will not be a problem regardless of the temperature / voltage / frequency. I can say that over the next 3-5 years will get here, of course, the price will be as
I would say that those two companies make "preparations" for this step, all lowering nanometers and "crowding" of several nuclei are signs that is preparing something big.

theintervurt
06.01.11, 17:52

..... exactly

x1lla
14.01.11, 00:25
Whats the difference between a Core i7 and a Core2Quad processor, cant understand the difference between these two as they sound the same.

Optimus
03.06.12, 11:58
i feel opposite to what u have said...... performance intel is much better.....

Intel's performance is very good for riches I think.

hellman
03.06.12, 19:51
AMD rules.. better.. given d price
performance is almost samme

SBfreak
03.06.12, 20:00
Do not feed the necrobumpers.They will eat your brain with spam and cheese.
Resurrection should have made a poll.It would have been easier for us.
I vote for I5.I7 are overpriced at the moment.

zirra2
17.07.12, 17:43
I would vote for an i5 if u are a gamer!

yoco
17.07.12, 22:47
Why i5 and not i7 for gaming? Isn't i7 better?

saebrtooth
18.07.12, 04:35
Why i5 and not i7 for gaming? Isn't i7 better?
Price vs Performance is good enuf for zirra2

yoco
18.07.12, 10:53
So I had really a lot of money, you would recommend rather i7 instead of i5?

saebrtooth
18.07.12, 14:30
yoco my good man if u have cash to throw around then I recommend
dual cpu motherboard
latest i7s or even xeons
phase change cpu/gpu cooler for extreme overclocking (u will find it hard to find a fit for xeons tho)
as much RAM as you can count
multi monitor video card
masses of hd space
etc (whatever is on every little boys wish list...)

system28
18.07.12, 15:15
i5 vs i7

i5 has 4 cores and 4 threads

i7 has 4 cores but 8 threads (its like a 8 core cpu)

I have a i7 3770K and its performance is wonderful

yoco
18.07.12, 15:15
:top:
Thing is I have no money at all :shockkk!:
I was just wondering why everyone prefers i5 over i7.

system28
18.07.12, 15:31
This is an intesting Test:

Core i5-3570K, -3550, -3550S, And -3570T: Ivy Bridge Efficiency : Four Ivy Bridge-Based Core i5 CPUs, Compared (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-3570-low-power,3204.html)

Benchmark Results: Real-World Games : Core i5-3570K, -3550, -3550S, And -3570T: Ivy Bridge Efficiency (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-3570-low-power,3204-12.html)

Another difference besides the 4 additional threads is the more powerfull integrated GPU.

I installed Lucidlogix with the multi gpu solution (http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-mvp.shtml) and it gives me more frames in games and also a smoother "look".

saebrtooth
18.07.12, 17:00
@yoco who does? who does? hehe

Mihai
21.12.12, 16:03
I'm curious about something. On an online shop here for 500 RON(125 euros) you can get a very good i3. Or, you can get for the same money an AMD FX 8120 3.1Ghz AM3+ 8-core. So why in the world would I want to buy the i3 when AMD gives me 8 freaking cores? I mean this processor is a monster.

---------- Post Merged at 17:03 ---------- Previous Post was at 16:40 ----------

Never mind. A little googling and what I found answeerd all my questions.

Monteiro
18.03.13, 01:56
Thanks for the explanation and I'm not sure I think I'll stick with the i7.

jacksbi
16.06.13, 18:27
Got a I7 3770 non k version.

I dont give a damn about OC so I got non k version.

Hope that this PC build can live for another 3-5 years.

I am currently on core 2 quad Q8300

Sazzy
17.06.13, 07:02
i5 vs i7

i5 has 4 cores and 4 threads

i7 has 4 cores but 8 threads (its like a 8 core cpu)

I have a i7 3770K and its performance is wonderful

i5. Not only is it cheaper, most apps don't use the 8 threads, including games.
the i7 is only interesting if you have apps that do (like for instance, msbuild in visual studio)

The same thing goes for 4+ cores. Hardly any program actually uses this. Only get something like this if you're planning on keeping it around for at least 10 years.

yoco my good man if u have cash to throw around then I recommend
dual cpu motherboard
latest i7s or even xeons
phase change cpu/gpu cooler for extreme overclocking (u will find it hard to find a fit for xeons tho)
as much RAM as you can count
multi monitor video card
masses of hd space
etc (whatever is on every little boys wish list...)

Low end xeons are actually identical to i7's, except for the embedded GPU.

Don't stare blind at the numbers, cause they don't mean anything.

nextor
12.07.13, 00:50
Im going to buy a new computer next week. Going for the i7. Why? Well, it is the more popular CPU among high end computer users and it does perform better and it does not cost that much extra.

I also sell laptop computers, and 95% of our customers chose the basic i7 (4700). The others chose better or worse models. The crowd can't be wrong, right?

feer
29.12.13, 01:01
I would vote for an i5

nikefonzo
09.02.14, 17:36
amd are cheper but intel has a better architecture and performace. go to an i3 haswell for low cost

Sazzy
18.02.14, 18:30
amd are cheper but intel has a better architecture and performace. go to an i3 haswell for low cost

AMD is finally catching up with intel, so just looking at performance, it's more or less the same. However, an intel can do the same with far less power consumption than an AMD. So right now, imho, intel is still the way to go~

lunar1
07.01.16, 02:33
I would vote for an i7 :top:

anon
20.01.16, 20:15
Intel Core i5-750
AMD Phenom II X4 965

Which motherboards are good for those processors? I'm looking for something that will provide good gaming performance, but doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Sazzy
23.01.16, 23:50
Is the intel a 1156 socket? Good luck finding a new one under 200 euro.
As for the AMD, I like the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P

It's probably cheaper to get a newer i5 and matching motherboard. The X4 won't be amazing gaming performance.

anon
24.01.16, 04:46
It's probably cheaper to get a newer i5 and matching motherboard. The X4 won't be amazing gaming performance.

I'll take the Intel path, then.

I did a little searching so far, and noticed what you mentioned about the i5-750 being too old. Here's a preliminary shopping list (prices are in US dollars).

*** Motherboard ***
ASRock H61M-VG4 (Socket 1155) ..................... $63
ASUS H81M-A (Socket 1150) ......................... $78
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H-A (Socket 1150) .............. $109

*** Processor ***
Intel Core i5-3330 (Socket 1155) .................. $186
Intel Core i5-4460 (Socket 1150) .................. $273

*** Video Card ***
nVidia GeForce GT 610 (1 GB, DDR3) ................ $74
Asus ATI R5230-SL (1 GB, DDR3) .................... $92
XFX Radeon R5 230 (2 GB, DDR3) .................... $97
AMD Radeon R7 240 (2 GB, DDR3) .................... $134
nVidia GeForce GT 730 (2 GB, DDR3) ................ $135

*** RAM ***
Aconcawa 4 GB, DDR3, 1866 MHz ..................... $29
Kingston 8 GB, DDR3, 1600 Mhz ..................... $52

Sazzy
24.01.16, 12:37
AMD is fine, just not the X4 for gaming. That's more of a media center CPU.

I'd get a 1150 over a 1155. If possibly, try checking out a 1151 i5. They're priced close to what you said and it's actually a lot better. The built in gpu is actually pretty decent too and even comes with HEVC support.
Don't buy 1Gb graphics cards anymore. It's not enough. I'd try going with the i5's GPU for a while, if it's not enough, get something like a GTX960.

anon
25.01.16, 03:00
Looked those up. A socket 1151 i5 doesn't go for much more than the i5-4460. A matching motherboard is a bit more expensive, but if the onboard graphics are good enough, not having to buy a video card compensates for that.

I looked up the GTX 960 and its price reminded me of this.

http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=16296

Note that this computer is for someone who isn't me1, so for all I know she's willing to buy the most top-notch hardware :eyebrows: I'll forward all your suggestions and see what we come up with.

1 = 2004 A7N8X-X ATHLON XP 3000+ GEFORCE 6200 4EVER

Sazzy
25.01.16, 17:54
Actually the 960 is okay for a graphics card. It's the 970, which I want, which is a bit on the expensive side (the 960 doesn't quite cut it for my screen: a quad hd, It's pretty great for a full hd though, seeing its price range). And even the 970 is far far faaar away from a high end graphics card. Just look at what a Titan costs...

Anyway, with some luck the APU might perform as well as the cards you listed since they are either kinda crappy or just old. The i5's gpu core has the advantage of being new and supporting new DirectX etc. Money wise i'd rather spend it on that than a stronger older card that might not support the newer games.

Nachten
27.01.16, 16:51
Well 970 and 960 are nice cards. There is no need at the moment to buy newer ones. I did as rebuild to my system last year including a 980. The gpu just idles and so does the new I7.