PDA

View Full Version : [Usenet] Free Usenet server with great retention and speed

anon
17.09.10, 20:46
This test server from News-Service.com allows up to 16 connections and apparently unlimited speed. Currently 375 days of retention and, it seems, excellent completion.

test.news-service.com
port 119
(no username/password)

For anyone thinking "It's useless to me, I already pay for an unlimited account at Giganews" - don't forget that in most newsreaders you can also set up backup servers to fill in missing articles or headers.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I can't do but agree with the last line.

Neutronium
17.09.10, 21:16
Any idea how long it'll be up?

anon
17.09.10, 21:18
Not much, I think. Eventually it'll become oversaturated and close, or impose heavy restrictions that make it way less useful (less connections, speed limits)

I certainly hope to be proven wrong, of course. :gsmile:

Neutronium
17.09.10, 21:31
Well, I might as well take zot's advice and enjoy it while it lasts. Personally, I've never used usenet as I've heard that free servers are usually pretty bad and I've never gone for a paid subscription, though many of my friends and lots of people swear by it due to the speeds you can get. Is there a particular client you might recommend for starting out with?

anon
17.09.10, 21:32
Is there a particular client you might recommend for starting out with?

If you're a newbie, try Unzbin - it's the uTorrent of newsgroups :gsmile:

poopsalot
02.10.10, 21:41
usenet is okay, not very bandwidth friendly unless you have unlimited bandwidth because of the amount of par2s you need to download (i've seen additional 1gb+ of par2 files for games, etc)

Gapo
20.10.10, 09:11
Not working for me anymore. Same with others?

anon
20.10.10, 13:32
Not working for me anymore. Same with others?

It goes up and down occasionally. Just try again later.

sbtorrent
09.01.11, 11:59
If it sounds too good to be true... Bandwidth, storage, cpu and management require time and money. They'll either start charging money or burn out fast.

anon
09.01.11, 18:04
This service was going up and down for everyone since it was posted. Right now it's down for me.

Well, this thread served its purpose, so...