PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a device that could play AVI and FLAC?

Extraterrestrial
29.06.10, 19:28
I will be traveling a lot these days and i need your suggestions on an electronic device such as : ipod that could play these two formats: AVI (video) and FLAC (audio).

Any suggestions?

:smile:

hellman
29.06.10, 19:55
i think this might help u

Portable Video Players (PVPs) - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/pvps/)

and this too

http://www.siftwire.com/gemei-hd-970-hd-720p-portable-media-player.html

SBfreak
29.06.10, 19:57
My mp4 payer plays both.:D

tokiodrift1
29.06.10, 19:57
I will be traveling a lot these days and i need your suggestions on an electronic device such as : ipod that could play these two formats: AVI (video) and FLAC (audio).

Any suggestions?

:smile:

every nokia handset can play flac (min. s60v3) by using folderplay (software).

avi is also possible via extra-software, but i would not recommend that.

hellman
29.06.10, 20:06
nokia handset c

i think he needs a dedicated video music player .. btw nokia is not worth buying... i'll rather go for ericsson..its quality that matters to me :smile:

tokiodrift1
29.06.10, 20:08
I am not talking about buying, if you've already a nokia handset, than this would be a good solution (without paying anything).

Extraterrestrial
29.06.10, 20:57
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

+rep to everyone but still need more suggestions.

My mp4 payer plays both.

Type and size please and if possible a link to it's web page.

desodorante
30.06.10, 01:55
OK yoyojojo65, when you say AVI, you mean.....Xvid, Divx, MPEG-4, H264, X264? All? Do you need to have Subtitle support? Do you mind reencoding?
About FLAC.....I never ever even think about it until you mentioned it. Google (http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=Flac+player&scoring=p) says they exist :biggrin:.
In my humble opinion, you need more than a "player". I will personally suggest a cellphone running Windows Mobile(6,6.1 or 6.5 but NOT 7), which has Coreplayer and TCPMP both playing all the mentioned video codecs, no need to reencode, SRT support (TCPMP) and a few media players that support FLAC, plus you can use a Stereo Bluetooth Headset, Wifi, etc.
Also, and no disrespect, but FLAC is too much for headphones on a trip, if you have High BR mp3/ogg tracks, you are done.
I think Symbian also has such software, but I do not own one, nor have read about it.
If you decide to go with this option, PM me, I will help you with getting the soft.
Cheers

Grambo
01.07.10, 05:38
Zap SR500 can play both.
It has a 5" screen and has 16 gigs memory.
It's not that expensive either.

Extraterrestrial
01.07.10, 19:00
My mp4 payer plays both.

I bought MP4 today and it can play both with 8GB capacity, all thanks goes to SBfreak :top:

anon
01.07.10, 20:37
8GB capacity

Some MP4 players stating to have more than four gigs of capacity actually have that amount or even just two, and a chip that's been hacked to display 8GB instead. Copy music/videos until it's full, and then see if the last ones you've copied play properly.

Extraterrestrial
01.07.10, 22:24
Some MP4 players stating to have more than four gigs of capacity actually have that amount or even just two, and a chip that's been hacked to display 8GB instead. Copy music/videos until it's full, and then see if the last ones you've copied play properly.

You're right, It's 4GB inbuilt capacity and 4GB for the chip.
I read the manual and it recommend 128mb-2gb for the expansion capacity and i dunno if it'll destroy my mp4 if i kept the 4gb chip running.
What do you think about that?

anon
01.07.10, 22:26
I read the manual and it recommend 128mb-2gb for the expansion capacity and i dunno if it'll destroy my mp4 if i kept the 4gb chip running.

I don't think you'll break the player with a 4GB card... at most, it won't recognize it, and you'll have to get a 2GB one.

Extraterrestrial
01.07.10, 22:32
I don't think you'll break the player with a 4GB card... at most, it won't recognize it, and you'll have to get a 2GB one.

No, It's recognized and working well, so i guess it's no problem to get beyond the recommended expansion capacity.

desodorante
02.07.10, 01:27
You're right, It's 4GB inbuilt capacity and 4GB for the chip.
What do you think about that?

I don't know about SD card reader chipsets, but most likely it will not read a 4gb.
I have noticed that most devices say up to 2gb or up to 4gb.
Besides I believe there are no 4gb SD cards, only SDHC.
You may want to open the device and check the ID on the chip, Samsung's and Hynix's ID sheets are all over the internet (to see the real capacity of the chip)
In some rare cases people found bigger chips formatted at a lower size.

Extraterrestrial
02.07.10, 09:57
I don't know about SD card reader chipsets, but most likely it will not read a 4gb.
I have noticed that most devices say up to 2gb or up to 4gb.
Besides I believe there are no 4gb SD cards, only SDHC.
You may want to open the device and check the ID on the chip, Samsung's and Hynix's ID sheets are all over the internet (to see the real capacity of the chip)
In some rare cases people found bigger chips formatted at a lower size.
I'm not a hardware expert, but I can tell you what is written on the chipset which is (Kingston SDC4/4GB) and it reads 3.75 GB on my computer :smile:

desodorante
02.07.10, 16:48
I'm not a hardware expert, but I can tell you what is written on the chipset which is (Kingston SDC4/4GB) and it reads 3.75 GB on my computer :smile:

Actually I meant inside the player. The memory chips are from Samsung 75% of the time, Hynix 20% and generic 5%.
They have an ID which you can translate to a size in Gigabytes.
Something like you can see here S1mp3.org - Firmware replacement for s1 mp3 player - Hardware specs (http://www.s1mp3.org/en/docs_hwspecs.php) (Check item [H]) , below you have a quick chart to decode what it means :smile:
Anyway it was just an idea, check if your SDC card works, I am not sure how much memory you need for you FLAC discography and films. Good luck!