PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a scifi movie?

cherrio5
06.06.10, 11:52
Hey All,

any recommendations for a space epic / sci-fi movie? Something with space battles, but not star wars or star trek (seen them to many times), something else.

It is very disappointing that such few sci-fi movies are being made any more, enough with the god damn teen vampires already!:frown:

BSG has some pretty awesome battle sequences, but looking for a movie/self contained story. Perhaps anime is the way to go? Don't shoot me, but I prefer my anime in English!

Any suggestions?

Thx in advance :biggrin:

Owyn
06.06.10, 12:45
as far as i know english is allways overvoice, so we'd better shoot you :)

there are space sci-fi serials but there aren't many space battles anyway mostly space sci-fi is just a background

stargate
stargate atlantis
Macross
kiddy grade
Tytania
Garasu no Kantai
Voices of a Distant Star
Galaxy Angel
Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko
sora o kakeru shoujo
planetes

slikrapid
06.06.10, 13:03
all time favorites:

SF:

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Alien 1-4 (1979,1986,1992,1997)
Contact (1997)
Men In Black (1997)
Pitch Black (2000), The Chronicles Of Riddick (2004)
Predator 1,2, Alien vs Predator(1987,1990,2004)
Star Trek (earlier are better)
Star Wars (older ones are better)
Terminator 1,2 (1984,1991)
The Matrix 1,2,3 (1999,2003,2003)

2010: Odyssey Two (1984)
Back to the Future 1,2,3 (1985,1989,1990)
Blade Runner (1982)
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Stargate (1994)
The Abyss (1989)
The Time Machine (1960)
Total Recall (1990)
X-Men 1,2 (2000,2003)

last 3 good (newer) SF movies i saw would be:

Moon (2009)
Pandorum (2009)
District 9 (2009)

last 3 average (newer), but somewhat enjoyable SF's:

Surrogates (2009)
2012 (2009)
Terminator Salvation (2009)

cherrio5
06.06.10, 13:24
Ya missed one! Sunshine (awesome movie!)

It is kinda creepy that I have almost everyone of those movies on Bluray or(and!) DVD. The Chronicles Of Riddick another underrated movie (I got that one on HD DVD as well :tongue:)

all time favorites:

last 3 good (newer) SF movies i saw would be:

Moon (2009)
Pandorum (2009)
District 9 (2009)

last 3 average (newer), but somewhat enjoyable SF's:

Surrogates (2009)
2012 (2009)
Terminator Salvation (2009)

Owyn
06.06.10, 13:38
forgot mah favorites :)

the twillight zone
the outer limits

1st awesome, 2nd has some awesomes

system28
06.06.10, 14:35
A really good one is "Event Horizon"!

YouTube - Event Horizon Trailer

And what about the two-part episodes of Star Trek (Next Generation and Voyager)? There is some cool Borg-Action!

slikrapid
06.06.10, 14:39
didn't like sunshine for some reason, can't remember what it was though (too much staring into sun? :tongue:)

other good SF series:

X-Files (of course)
Invasion (2005)
John Doe (2002)

other decent SF's (& cross-genres):

Event Horizon (1997)
Starship Troopers (1997)
Tron (1982)
The Last Starfighter (1984)
Flight Of The Navigator (1986)
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind (1977)
Impostor (2001)
Dark Angel (1990)
The Hidden (1987)
Lost In Space (1998)
The Fifth Element (1997)
The Triangle (2005) miniseries
Solyaris (1972) if you're patient ;)
The Man From Earth (2007)
Obitaemyy ostrov (2008) aka The Inhabited Island
Signs (2002)
Universal Soldier (1992)
Independence Day (2003)
Armageddon (1998)
Mission To Mars (2000)
Red Planet (2000)
Sphere (1998)
Outland (1981)
Leviathan (1989)
Bicentennial Man (1999)
Robocop (1987)
Hollow Man (2000)
Space Cowboys (2000)
Barbarella (1968)
Forbidden Planet (1956)
War Of The Worlds (1953)

cherrio5
07.06.10, 22:06
Went with Enemy Mine (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089092/), one small space battle in it, would have been better off watching some BSG I think. Ordered Event Horizon on Bluray though! :)

tokiodrift1
07.06.10, 22:21
Few Good Sc-Fi-Movies.

Evolution
Donnie Darko
S Darko
Jurassic Park 1-3
Matrix Movies
Spiderman Movies
Terminator Movies
Independence Day
Back to the Future Movies
Blade Runner
Mel Brook's Spaceballs
Robocop
Running Man
John Carpenter's They Live
Leviathan
The Fifth Element
Ghost of Mars
Equilibrium
Reign of Fire
Minority Report
Signs
Immortal
Starship Troopers 1 +2
Idiocracy
The Prestige
Ultraviolet
Species
Dave
The Day the Earth stood still
Land of the Lost
The Devils Tomb
Frozen
Gamer
Pandorum
Race to Witch Mountain
Screamers

Greetz,
~td1

Vuze-Sbi
08.06.10, 13:15
Gattaca, there's no epic battle scene but My favorite sci-fi movie.You should check ;)

Blocker
11.06.10, 00:18
District 9 (2009) :top:

cherrio5
11.06.10, 09:35
I must get Gattaca too, the misses keeps wishing that she was taller, she doesn't believe me that it is possible! ;)

Ya District 9 is class, best movie of 2009.

Blocker
11.06.10, 20:28
Gattaca, there's no epic battle scene but My favorite sci-fi movie.You should check ;)

I must get Gattaca too, the misses keeps wishing that she was taller, she doesn't believe me that it is possible! ;)

Ya District 9 is class, best movie of 2009.

:shockkk!:Few years ago I watched Gattaca on TV but not completely ,thanks guys it's an interesting sci-fi movie something like the book "Brave new World" from Aldous Huxley , I'm gonna download as soon as possible :top:

Gattaca (1997) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119177/)

shawshankraj
12.06.10, 05:02
Donnie Darko..Best combination of SCI-FI and Thriller....Watch Director Cut...

Instab
12.06.10, 05:44
Hey All,

any recommendations for a space epic / sci-fi movie? Something with space battles, but not star wars or star trek (seen them to many times), something else.

It is very disappointing that such few sci-fi movies are being made any more, enough with the god damn teen vampires already!:frown:

BSG has some pretty awesome battle seqünces, but looking for a movie/self contained story. Perhaps anime is the way to go? Don't shoot me, but I prefer my anime in English!

Any suggestions?

Thx in advance :biggrin:

one of my all time favs is aliens (the second part). no space battles but more than enough action and a very deep atmosphere (a thing that most later movies failed to achieve imho)

tokiodrift1
12.06.10, 05:53
one of my all time favs is aliens (the second part). no space battles but more than enough action and a very deep atmosphere (a thing that most later movies failed to achieve imho)

Sigourney Weaver fights like a man,.. :eek:

btw, which part is it, where there is a android/robotic man who does the russian knife trick (hand on table and then doing the quick-pricking between the fingers game) ?

Instab
12.06.10, 06:34
btw, which part is it, where there is a android/robotic man who dös the russian knife trick (hand on table and then doing the quick-pricking between the fingers game) ?

hehehe, exactly that part

crystal
12.06.10, 09:54
i would recommend Equilibrium . a very underrated movie imo . sci-fi environment , the fights are Matrix-esque and a good story which is rare to find in a sci-fi movie generally , not exactly spaceship battles in it tho .

Blocker
12.06.10, 17:25
Donnie Darko..Best combination of SCI-FI and Thriller....Watch Director Cut...

For sure

Donnie Darko is one of my fav movie ever :smile:

It's a mixture of Mistery,Sci-Fi,Thriller and Drama

cherrio5
12.06.10, 19:55
Ya Equilibrium is great! Watch it so many times, so many people haven't seen it or even heard of it :(

I don't think Aliens is out on Bluray yet, a must buy when it does!

kelly
12.06.10, 20:18
How come no one mentioned about Doom !

Instab
12.06.10, 21:44
How come no one mentioned about Doom !

because it's crap :P
given the material they had at their fingertips from the games that film was one of the biggest disappointments of the last years. but sadly game-to-movie conversions are always bad

Owyn
12.06.10, 22:21
>how come
How come no one mentioned Aeon Flux? :D

alpacino
12.06.10, 22:40
I would like to recommend The Arrival from 1996 with Charlie Sheen, very good SciFi imo.

cherrio5
13.06.10, 00:04
because it's crap :P
given the material they had at their fingertips from the games that film was one of the biggest disappointments of the last years. but sadly game-to-movie conversions are always bad

Not all of them, check out the new Mortal Combat movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk

tokiodrift1
13.06.10, 00:37
Thanks Made my Day... REP added.. :biggrin: :klatsch_3:

I Still love the first movie... (The one with Christopher Lambert)

Instab
13.06.10, 00:48
looking good indeed

---------- Post added at 00:48 ---------- Previous post was at 00:46 ----------

2013 tba :eek3:

tokiodrift1
13.06.10, 01:08

[/COLOR]2013 tba :eek3:

NOT funny... :mad: :eek13:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8892/mksbi.jpg

...why they're announcing it three years before the release ?

...how could they make an almost excellent-looking trailer with such a delay ?

...as said not funny. :rolleyes:

Additional Info: AFAIK Midway games went bankrupt in fall '09.
Warner Bros. buyied them and renamed few of their studios, like the ex-midway Mortal-Kombat-studio was renamed into neverrealm studios, with the new brand they were able to make an own movie, so I think the imdb-text is not right (13 years prod.time),
however, nice to see that it won't be a uwe boll movie, warner bros. knows how to make high-quality movies.

In the trailer sometimes it was diffucult to differ from CGI-Rendering and real-world-shot.
Such a merge is good for an enhanced viewing experience.

Regards,
~td1

slikrapid
13.06.10, 11:57
Donnie Darko is one of my fav movie ever :smile:

indeed, its an unusual entertaining weirdness, that one ;)

Equilibrium - can't really say it was memorable in any way, of course no way near to any of the Matrix ones

Doom - funny trash, if i remember correctly the first-person camera shots (as viewed from a FPS) at the end of the movie were a nice nod to the gaming community - actually i'd say this one is (much) better than the recent 'Gamer'

Aeon Flux - average, nice to see some female lead roles for a change in this kind of movies

The Arrival - can't remember any decent action movies with charlie sheen, maybe except for The Rookie (1990)

new Mortal Combat movie - the only positive thing for this one would be the probably extensive budget from the wb company - everything else is questionable:

...why they're announcing it three years before the release ?
...how could they make an almost excellent-looking trailer with such a delay ?
...as said not funny
...warner bros. knows how to make high-quality movies
...Such a merge is good for an enhanced viewing experience.

...to pump up the audience/fans, make them eager, restless, cash on the expectations, feed on the emotions :eek:
...using (almost) entirely cgi technology
...relax, it will probably be below expectations (as countless other remakes/sequels before) so why bother awaiting...if it gets done, great...if not, who cares, move on
...wb makes even more crappy movies so thats no guarantee
...the merger stuff also gives movie-makers an easy way to avoid putting real effort into acting/actors, abusing cgi for more and more tasks and so on - this trend can easily be mentioned as one of a few reasons for 'recent' (meaning cgi laden/driven) movie failures even though they look stunning/epic - the alluring trap of contemporary cinema :tongue:

Shiny Window
13.06.10, 12:16
What about "Space rangers", a small but fine series (only 5 oder 6 ep.)? My personal favorites are "Babylon 5" and "Farscape".

anon
13.06.10, 17:53
Doom - funny trash, if i remember correctly the first-person camera shots (as viewed from a FPS) at the end of the movie were a nice nod to the gaming community - actually i'd say this one is (much) better than the recent 'Gamer'

The Doom movie was a joke. Being based on a game I've played a lot and enjoyed just as much, I expected much more, but it was just another zombie movie with a few small twists. :dabs:

The first-person perspective by the end was a nice wink at gamers, yes, but it didn't make up for the rest of the movie, in my opinion.

SBfreak
14.06.10, 23:42
I didn't even know a movie was made after that game.
It has 5.2 but The Rock=Sarge.
Show I bother watching?
Even though I read your post anon there are a lot of positive reviews on imdb:dabs:

anon
14.06.10, 23:43
Show I bother watching?
Even though I read your post anon there are a lot of positive reviews on imdb:dabs:

If you liked the game, you'll probably like the movie. Personally, I was disappointed, but at most you'll only have lost two hours of your time. :lol:

Sazzy
14.06.10, 23:52
Doom movie was indeed not as good as you had expected it, esp seeing how amazing the games are. I would still watch it though, just don't expect it to be like the games. I felt more like this was a spin-off than an actual doom movie.

desodorante
17.11.10, 23:33
Bump.
I recommend THX 1138

Produced by
Francis Ford Coppola

Directed by
George Lucas

Original Music by
Lalo Schifrin

Starring:
Robert Duvall

I already recommended Primer in another thread. A masterpiece.
Some classics: Soylent Green, Logan's Run, Solaris.

starforce
18.11.10, 00:25
i well recomende
E.T
THE 8 PASENGER
ELEM STREAT
THE NEW skyline

desodorante
18.11.10, 14:36
E.T: I guess we all saw this one :P
THE 8 PASENGER: Can't find it, except you meant "Alien, the 8th Passenger" which we all saw too :P
ELEM STREAT: Nightmare on Elm Street?

starforce
18.11.10, 16:11
E.T: I guess we all saw this one :P
THE 8 PASENGER: Can't find it, except you meant "Alien, the 8th Passenger" which we all saw too :P
ELEM STREAT: Nightmare on Elm Street?
Nightmare on Elm Street yes

kelly
18.11.10, 17:37
The Island

The Island (2005) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399201/)

Renk
18.11.10, 22:24
In an approximate chronological ordering:

Metropolis

The Day The Earth Stood Still

Forbidden Planet

The Human Vapor

Planet Of The Apes

The Green Slime

2001: A Space Odyssey

Soylent Green

Zardoz

Logan's Run

Black Hole

Alien (and seq.)

Blade Runner

Dune

Starman

Total Recall

Ghost In The Shell

Screamers

Gattaca

Contact

ExistenZ

Battlefield Earth

Minority Report

Primer

Children Of Men

Inception

But an other ordering is possible:

http://image.bayimg.com/jaabeaadl.jpg

No one really pays much attention to what year sci-fi movies take place. I thought it would be interesting to arrange some classic films about the future into chronological order and see what we’d find. I’ve also charted the years in which they were released as well as the current year. This is by far the geekiest thing I’ve ever done.

DAN METH - Futuristic Movie Timeline #6 In*A Series Of... (http://danmeth.com/post/124593834/futuristicmovietimeline)

For "fights on other worlds", you may see Battle Planet, Dark Planet, Flash Gordon, too. And, ahem, Starcrash....