PDA

View Full Version : How to use Facebook in a not too insecure way

Renk
24.05.10, 23:24
Privacy is a major concern on FaceBook

To manage your privacy on this service, you will need to navigate through 50 settings with more than 170 options.

Here some of them:

http://bayimg.com/image/aamhnaacp.jpg

Facebook Privacy: A Bewildering Tangle of Options - Graphic - NYTimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/05/12/business/facebook-privacy.html)

See also the good tuto here:

How To Put Facebook On A Privacy Lockdown (http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-lock-down-your-facebook-profile-2010-5#go-to-facebookcom-click-on-the-drop-down-account-menu-in-the-top-right-corner-drag-to-privacy-settings-1)

anon
24.05.10, 23:26
This (http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account) one's the most useful.

Renk
25.05.10, 00:34
This (http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account) one's the most useful.

The problem is Facebook takes 15 days to validate the decision. 15 days left to you, to feel remorse and modify your decision (although decision to create a Facebook account is validated after only 5mn).

Moreover, are all your personnal data really removed, erased, destroyed, wiped and nuked after your account has been deleted ? It's not entirely clear if yes or not Mark Zuckerberg knows the Guntman's algorithm :smile:

anon
25.05.10, 00:35
The problem is Facebook takes 15 days to validate the decision. 15 days left to you, to feel remorse and modify your decision (although decision to create a Facebook account is validated after only 5mn).

Yes, a lot of sites do that. And I understand - imagine if someone hijacked your account and could delete it in five minutes.

Moreover, are all your personnal data really removed, erased, destroyed, wiped and nuked after your account has been deleted ?

Of course not - it "may" remain in "backups".

SBfreak
27.05.10, 17:59
facebook!=privacy
I don't understand why do people use it anyway.I recall a member here wanted a script to attract chicks on facebook.Is that it??:redface:

anon
27.05.10, 17:59
I don't understand why do people use it anyway.I recall a member here wanted a script to attract chicks on facebook.

That was whateverittakes! :lol:

Been a while I don't see him around...

Sazzy
27.06.10, 00:26
facebook!=privacy
I don't understand why do people use it anyway.I recall a member here wanted a script to attract chicks on facebook.Is that it??:redface:

Cause it's a supereasy way to keep in touch with everybody when "everybody" is more than you can handle in real life on a daily basis :lol: Plus events, bdays, whatever.

Instab
27.06.10, 00:40
Cause it's a supereasy way to keep in touch with everybody when "everybody" is more than you can handle in real life on a daily basis :lol: Plus events, bdays, whatever.

yeah well, that's the thing.
most people i know are doing those friends list racings. adding whöver they can get and posting useless crap :P
i think one should think about the following: how many of my conatcts there are 'real' friends? and i bet it's not even 20% of the people in the list. then, at least for me, the qüstion is: maybe i should rather concentrate on maintaining relationships with my 'real' and close friends in person ... unless someone can do both

Sazzy
27.06.10, 00:44
Well, some people have a lot of real life friends, others don't.
I don't have anyone on my list that I don't know well in real life. And no, it's not a tiny list.

Adding whoever you can so it looks like you have a lot of friends is stupid and defeats the purpose.

Instab
27.06.10, 00:48
Adding whöver you can so it looks like you have a lot of friends is stupid and defeats the purpose.

exactly, and when i see people with lists with 350 contacts or so ... that's a joke.
anyway it depends on the definition of 'real friend' of course

Sazzy
27.06.10, 00:53
I guess. Though for me, there's a big difference between wanting to keep in touch with friends and wanting to do the same with real real real friends. It's not really because they're not my best friends, that I don't want to know them anymore or stop hanging out with them from time to time.

Depends on how social you are, too. You can easily get to 150-200ish from just being social in school and parties. Though this is probably where your definition of "real friends" comes in mind. Still, it's nice to see what those people are up to, and if it's cool enough, join them in whatever they're doing.

Instab
27.06.10, 00:56
exactly, it's the sort of people you 'know' and the sort of people you'd call a close, personal friend

Sazzy
27.06.10, 00:59
Though I'm not sure what's wrong with hooking up with people you know?
Sometimes it's nice to get away from those daily habits and spend some time with other people

Instab
27.06.10, 01:55
Though I'm not sure what's wrong with hooking up with people you know?
Sometimes it's nice to get away from those daily habits and spend some time with other people

sure, never qüstioned that :D

Blocker
27.06.10, 04:18
yeah well, that's the thing.
most people i know are doing those friends list racings. adding whoever they can get and posting useless crap :P
i think one should think about the following: how many of my conatcts there are 'real' friends? and i bet it's not even 20% of the people in the list. then, at least for me, the question is: maybe i should rather concentrate on maintaining relationships with my 'real' and close friends in person ... unless someone can do both

Well adding whoever I can get an posting useless crap is not my facebook style

Well, some people have a lot of real life friends, others don't.
I don't have anyone on my list that I don't know well in real life. And no, it's not a tiny list.

Adding whoever you can so it looks like you have a lot of friends is stupid and defeats the purpose.

Agreed,I only use facebook for keeping in touch with real friends,I'm really bad for remebering birthdays dates and special dates or parties .It could be a useful social tool by the way without facebook I would lost the track of many friends :top:

Facebook=Social network (and that's all)

Instab
27.06.10, 04:25
Well adding whöver I can get an posting useless crap is not my facebook style

that's why i wrote "most"

without facebook I would lost the track of many friends :top:

and here we are again with that 'friends' thingy. you're calling someone a friend of whom you'd have lost track without facebook? not exactly a good friend i'd say :P

anyway that's a personal thing. i never said facebook is bad. it has advantages no doubt ... i'm just careful with the term 'friend'

Blocker
27.06.10, 04:36
Definately there's a big difference between an acquaintance and a friend

But in facebook terms all your contacts are friends

Sazzy
27.06.10, 11:25
hopeless discussion is hopeless :P

Guess not everyone cares about keeping in touch with acquaintances, while personally I do. Totally unexpected, too :lol:

Plus, at some point, my friends and I just started using the Facebook PM instead of e-mail.

Instab
27.06.10, 15:20
my friends and I just started using the Facebook PM instead of e-mail.

sure, the more data you give them the better :tongü:

Sazzy
27.06.10, 16:17
Don't be so paranoid :lol:

"Oh no, now they know I'm going to a party next thursday"

Instab
27.06.10, 17:02
Don't be so paranoid :lol:

"Oh no, now they know I'm going to a party next thursday"

hehe, for decades intelligence agencies worked their *** off to collect all kinds of information ... these days they have to lay off people :lol:

for what it's worth Facebook, MySpace caught releasing user data - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100521/tc_ynews/ynews_tc2189)

anon
27.06.10, 17:40
hehe, for decades intelligence agencies worked their *** off to collect all kinds of information ...

Now we give it to them, click by click.

Off topic: Renk suggested we implement this computer security subforum for stuff like this. He'll probably love the amount of posts it got less than 24 hours after being created. :happy:

Sazzy
27.06.10, 18:40
I just wanted to add as a final note that I put nothing private on facebook (duhhhh, probably ground rule for everything anyway, even in real life and not just internet.) so everything about me that is on there, you could easily find out anyway.

anon
27.06.10, 18:41
I just wanted to add as a final note that I put nothing private on facebook

I didn't back when I had one, either.

But it went delacct.php long ago :happy:

Sazzy
27.06.10, 22:27
more like contact.php?show_form=delete_account O: !