PDA

View Full Version : How to Secure IE8 with IEController

thecoolest
19.05.10, 12:15
How do I secure Internet Explorer with IEController?

There are plenty of schools of thought on this, but ultimately there are situations where IE is a must-use application. This could be per your company policy or even due to specific Web-site needs. Regardless, there are times when you have to (or want to) use Internet Explorer. For those instances, you will want to make sure that IE is operating as safe as possible. Of course the definition of “safe” is very fluid. Thankfully there are tools available that allow for such fluidity, while still helping to secure a very popular Web browser.

This blog post is also available in the PDF format in a TechRepublic Download.

IEController is a handy tool that allows you to:

* Execute/monitor access
* Control the execution of ActiveX controls
* Control the execution of scripts, programs
* Control requests to restrict and control files
* Prevent ads
* Log data traffic

More Info Here
How do I secure Internet Explorer with IEController? | Microsoft Windows | TechRepublic.com (http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=2479)

SBfreak
19.05.10, 14:41
Nice tutorial but why bother securing IE8?:confused2:

anon
19.05.10, 14:54
Well - consider the fact you're already using IE...

SBfreak
19.05.10, 14:55
Where I come from..IE is only good for downloading another browser...not to say the first time I used it I couldn't even browse properly because all the ads opening.

saebrtooth
20.05.10, 07:18
you must have been using a really old IE. XP SP2 had popup blokers for IE. However i still like using FF. when IE9 comes out I hope it can be as secure and as customisable of FF otheriwise FF user (like me) are gona sh1t on it even more

SBfreak
20.05.10, 19:25
That's exactly what you will do.Do you actually thing IE9 will be as secure as other browsers..? Come on..

anon
20.05.10, 20:14
Do you actually thing IE9 will be as secure as other browsers..?

At least it'll comply with standards more, not to mention the speed of its JavaScript VM has greatly improved from other IE versions.

SBfreak
20.05.10, 20:24
When IE8 was released all the other browser where already way more secure and better in many ways.
What makes you think this time will be different?

anon
20.05.10, 20:26
What makes you think this time will be different?

Microsoft's trying to make IE comply with Web standards! :eek:

That's a step ahead.

saebrtooth
21.05.10, 04:42
they have more money to wipe their bums with than toilet storage space for toilet paper. Before they were like oh so what we are losing a little bit of users but now oh sh1t wtf are we gona do cos every1 is sh1ting on us.

So they have no choice but to make it at least better than others (try to anyway). their rep is on the line. And Im sure they will be able to do it one day even if they hae to buy FF to do it LOL

SBfreak
21.05.10, 13:14
If Microsoft buys Mozilla I think Firefox will lose half of it's users..:rolleyes2:

thecoolest
21.05.10, 16:45
..lol...Sbfreak..ie8 still has good users around the world to using site surfing..so its ok :biggrin:

its good browser...even i have to use it ..for my isp account checking..lol

ie 9 has preview is good as people except..but i dont think it will so much good without any good facility..:wink:

Renk
23.09.15, 14:31
Thanks. In didn't know IEController.

An other useful article on TechRepublic for securing IE: Learn two ways to disable Internet Explorer - TechRepublic (http://www.techrepublic.com/article/learn-two-ways-to-disable-internet-explorer/5838360/)

Personally, juster after downloading FF, I secure IE in blacklisting it wih the firewall.

anon
23.09.15, 16:33
An other useful article on TechRepublic for securing IE: Learn two ways to disable Internet Explorer - TechRepublic (http://www.techrepublic.com/article/learn-two-ways-to-disable-internet-explorer/5838360/)

That article is ten years old, and it shows. For example, setting an invalid proxy does break Windows Update now, as well as Java, Chrome and many other programs that use the same proxy settings.

Microsoft finally started doing things right after Internet Explorer 9, so you shouldn't avoid that browser like the plague now. And if you must keep on using XP or other Windows systems for which new versions are not available, it's best to use nLite and remove the browser and MSHTML engine entirely.