PDA

View Full Version : New external HDD problem?

yoco
01.05.10, 14:04
Hy! So yesterday I bought a new 800GB external HDD (usb 2.0). The reason I bought is that I had to format my PC and I needed to back up my stuff somewhere. So here's the thing. I connected with USB, works fine. I copied everything that I didn't want to delete. I then turned off HDD and installed new windows. Everything works fine until I turn back on HDD and restart PC. Here's the problem, it restarts but then it won't boot into windows. It frezzes at that main screen (before you go into bios). But if I turn off HDD it boot's fine. So now I don't know what could be the problem. I installed Windows XP Extreme Seven and my new HDD is Chili Green. Any help would be appreciated.

saebrtooth
01.05.10, 14:32
connect ur external hdd after windows reloads

yoco
01.05.10, 15:18
But that means I'm gonna have to do this every time!

tokiodrift1
01.05.10, 15:23
try another usb port.

yoco
01.05.10, 19:20
Tried with that, didn't work. Should I do something in bios?

tokiodrift1
01.05.10, 20:08
Yes try to use different IRQ-ressources in bios, sometimes the're shared with others.

saebrtooth
02.05.10, 07:30
try connecting the drive to a hub

yoco
02.05.10, 09:48
Yes try to use different IRQ-ressources in bios, sometimes the're shared with others.
How do I know which one is for USB HDD?

try connecting the drive to a hub
What do you mean? I don't understand! :redface:

caballero
02.05.10, 11:00
What do you mean? I don't understand! :redface:

a USB hub, (not directly connected to the computer)

saebrtooth
02.05.10, 11:09
USB hub - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yoco
02.05.10, 12:34
Don't have one!

saebrtooth
02.05.10, 17:03
they can cost under $10, and sometimes can be useful

slikrapid
02.05.10, 19:03
connect ur external hdd after windows reloads

does this work?

if not, before buying anything, try whether the hdd works on some other computer, which should clarify if the problem is your computer or the external hdd

yoco
02.05.10, 23:47
It worked fine just before I installed fresh XP.

saebrtooth
03.05.10, 03:43
try updating ur bios

thecoolest
03.05.10, 08:43
do 1 thing i think u install xp right

its happens it some kinda driver32.cab "extracting error"

1. you have to plug in hdd everytime when you see your desktop screen

2.if it has usb driver problem then nothing would be done repair your xp via cd or reinstall xp again it takes only 30 min (reinstalling is good thing)

3.in bios it would be a setting about boot hdd from usb..as i think (coz my bios has it )its upon yours to do it or not .k

xp it will happen..sometimes its not pc problem its xp's installation problem.k

hontoCorti
03.05.10, 08:52
I had this problem also once...
Windows did not start when the USB hd was connected...
I think it was a windows driver problem...

saebrtooth
03.05.10, 09:32
yoco's problem is even b4 windows boots, at the bios

0sai
03.05.10, 09:36
The problem, I believe, is that your BIOS is attempting to boot from your External HDD. For some reason, this causes an error, making the computer fail on startup. To avoid this problem, try setting your BIOS to boot from the internal Hard-Drive (HDD) and not from the External (USB). This should fix the problem.
Another option that could fix it is to reformat the Drive into another Disk File System format (either Fat32 or NTFS), which could stop some file system driver incompatibilities loaded by the BIOS on startup.

saebrtooth
03.05.10, 09:43
Setting boot to C: is a good idea

If the external is not bootable the bios should be able to recognise as unbootable and skip to another device until it finds a bootable one, an old bios wont be able to do this so an update is still recomended.

0sai
03.05.10, 09:49
Yes, strange that it causes the startup process to fail instead of just a huge lag when it searches the startup disk for some form of boot information.

thecoolest
03.05.10, 09:52
true.

that will happen..thats what i said 0sai..too

sebertooth
every bios works as that....before 12 years bios will stop at 2 hdd..not new 1

bios see every cd/dvd/hdd 1 by 1 as boot sequence..my frn..it will see everything..which has windows boot file then it boots..takes freaking 5 to 15 seconds.

saebrtooth
03.05.10, 10:06
So yoco, if u cant update the bios, u cant change the boot seq, you cant test hdd on another computer, u wont buy a usb hubb. Then bro just connect it after windows loads