PDA

View Full Version : Rohos Mini Drive | Encrypt your USB flashdrive!

anon
20.02.10, 23:17
Rohos Mini Drive creates hidden and encrypted partition on the USB flash drive memory. This free portable partition encryption tool allows you working with files on the hidden partition without opening a special program. Those who have megabytes of sensitive files on the USB drive and seriously concerned with a data security, cannot imagine their USB stick without the hidden volume that is created using this tool.

Link (http://www.rohos.com/products/rohos-mini-drive/)

I know of other programs to encrypt USB sticks, but this one is pretty much the easiest to use I have seen. 2-3 minutes after installing it, I had already created a virtual encrypted partition that was ready to be used. It shows up as a fixed drive in "My Computer" which can be used just like any other disk. And if you're not at home, no worries - just open the Rohos application from the root of your flashdrive and it'll automatically let you mount (having entered the password first, of course - you are even offered an on-screen keyboard) and access it, without the need for administrator privileges. :top:

Here (http://www.megaleecher.net/How_To_Password_Protect_USB_Drive_With_Encryption) 's a mini-tutorial in case the program's interface isn't intuitive enough for you :tongue:

SealLion
30.08.11, 20:08
So is this thing actually a portable application, anon. I read this on another internet webpage and it does make mention of this being used in portable mode; however, when actually setting up this program does it leave .reg files on one's computer or not b/c just prior to set up, the installer states that it will set up the program on my computer and I began to think that it would leave folders and files on my HDD. I was more or less thinking that this could/would install only as portable mode without having to first install it the way one would install any other program (that is, in leaving .reg files and other files on the computer)

What I read on your given link is the following:

.....on any removable storage device, the portable encryption tool..

It makes me think that this is a tool that this is a separate and distinct tool directly available from the main program. Is this correct??

Or is this program the same as running true crypt in portable mode??

anon
30.08.11, 20:30
This part of the program:

And if you're not at home, no worries - just open the Rohos application from the root of your flashdrive and it'll automatically let you mount (having entered the password first, of course - you are even offered an on-screen keyboard) and access it, without the need for administrator privileges. :top:

Was portable. I never tried portable TrueCrypt, but from what I've heard it sounds like it's similar.