PDA

View Full Version : [Tutorial]Cleaning your PC. Is it worth?(before PC will become just a €5 trash can)

Vation
24.01.10, 09:05
Those thoughts came while suffering insomnia.

Mini Cleaning PC tutorial v0.15

(yes i know it is currently not in TUT's area)

Buffalo Soldiers (2001) - memorable quote:

Colonel Berman: What is this? What have we here?
Ray Elwood: Just some requisitions, sir.
Colonel Berman: One thousand gallons of Mop & Glow... my God, do we really need that much?
Ray Elwood: Well, cleanliness is next to godliness.

OC results are not as good as they were before?
Graphic card sometimes crash while playing games?
Strange noises came outside of the box?
PC behaving unstable?
Maybe I got a virus or it's a system fault?

Maybe you PC(working like server 24/7/365 to download your precious torrents) is full of dust. Just take a closer look where the impurity leads:

register.co.uk article. (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/)

Final side effects: destroyed hardware, damaged hardware, system instability, fire, diseases like conjunctivitis, digestive problems, allergies.

RAW DATA:
It might be time to use vacuum cleaner, brush, condensed air, rag of you were a lazy slacker even anti-dust mask and most important of all common sense(which is is not so common these days).

Monitor.
Use a delicate cloth to clean monitor(anti static wipe microfiber or something like for screen).

Keyboard.
Unplug keyboard, turn it upside down and shake to find it most dirty thing in you house, clean it, if sing vacuum cleaner on keyboard - gently or you will loose buttons, cotton pads with soaped water or alcohol in some cases(alcohol might damage some types of plastics so be careful). Some of people dissemble keyboard or even wash it with soap for dish wash to get rid of fat.

Mouse.
Use the brush and cloth to clean up the mouse, cotton pads with soaped water/alcohol . In older mouses some were washing the ball with soap, take the dirt out of rollers.

ODD's
There are special cleaning CD's for optical drives but those guarantee success.
Generally you can use gently vacuum cleaner at CD-ROM intake while tray opened.

BOX:
Just use vacuum cleaner and gently clean air intakes, fans.
Inside of the box: brush, cotton buds, cloth if vacuum cleaner very gently.

WARNING for those who want to clean up inside the box:

*Do not open the box unless you are what you are doing.
*PC should be turned off and unplugged of ac, be sure to take down energy from capacitors - press power button while unplugged.
*Electrostatic charges may damage hardware, be careful with brushing.
*It may cost you warranty loss if warranty void removed.
*Even can condensed air definitely shall not be used while PC is on!(sometimes there are side effects of decompression - humidity aka short circuit).

The room.
If there is clean around, the PC's won't accumulate much from environment.

The hands.
If you take care of personal hygiene your keyboard/mouse/monitor will take less punishment.

Criticism, comments, own thoughts appreciated.

anon
24.01.10, 16:51
Since this tut is about hardware, I think I'll leave it here.

If this is self-written, it will also be stickied!