PDA

View Full Version : Internal HDD docking station

saebrtooth
14.01.10, 04:24
Do you like to move massive amounts of data fast without using burned onetime dics (dvd/br)

HDD docking stations come in varieties that can support sata, esata, usb, firewire connections. Since these docking stations allows you to use an internal HDD externally you can save huge money by buying the cheaper internal HDD instead.

HDD USB Dock Plugs Bare SATA Drives Like NES Cartridges - - Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/312747/hdd-usb-dock-plugs-bare-sata-drives-like-nes-cartridges)

ThinkGeek :: External USB SATA Drive Dock (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/a7ea/)

sano3000
02.02.10, 01:35
i have 2 of this docking station, they are very useful for backing up, transferring files, etc....
and work great with my wd hdtv

saebrtooth
02.02.10, 10:41
Yeah man they are great, i just have one, but 3 cable type adaptors which work the same way but more combersome and yet cheaper. I main use them for transfer for friends and bakup my os

SBfreak
02.02.10, 11:09
Interesting idea.I will try in the future.I usually use my 3 sticks each of 16 GB to move my data.
I don't have to much on my pc.

saebrtooth
02.02.10, 11:17
flash drives do well too but are expensive and slow compared to a normal HDD. I use my usb thumb drive for specific purposes but for transfering huge amounts of data GB and TB of data frequently you cant beat the economy of an internal HDD.

There are cheaper versions of the docking drive but as mentioned cumbersome but much cheaper and in a cable form.

SBfreak
02.02.10, 11:20
but for transfering huge amounts of data GB and TB of data
TBs?? My whole HDD is one TB.I guess I don't really need these docking stations.:biggrin:

saebrtooth
02.02.10, 11:50
u can always get the cable ones, ive got them too :)

The adaptors (docking station, cables) just gives you a bit more freedom and huge speed convenience. In effect, in ur case u will have a 1TB oversized thumb drive when used with the adaptors :biggrin:

shadoweave
14.03.10, 08:49
I just purchased something similar that can take 2 drives, and I must say, way more economical and efficient than buying external drives or burning countless DVDs.

cueball2k2
10.06.10, 15:27
i'm using a docking station for my 2 HD. connecting this using an esata which makes file transfer more faster.

saebrtooth
10.06.10, 16:05
Kingwin DockMaster USB 3.0 Docking Station (http://www.pureoverclock.com/article957.html)

Introduction
External drives are often one of those things that tend to slip your mind when planning your computer dream system. Well, to be honest, all the best hardware in the world is nothing compared to the value of irreplacable data. We've seen too many people lose important data, loses that could have been easily prevented or avoided with a simple backup drive.

Data backup today is more convenient and economical than ever. Costs have dropped considerably, and large-capacity hard drives can be found at very reasonable prices. The only problem with large external drives is that it takes forever to transfer huge amounts of data across a traditional USB 2.0 interface. Even with eSATA, the speed improvements are good but not quite successful in our opinion, partly due to speed caps but also the lack of widespread acceptance like USB interface. To combat these issues, USB 3.0 has arrived, and offers a massive speed boost over both USB 2.0 and eSATA. The only drawback is that the USB 3.0 technology hasn't really hit mainstream acceptance yet, but it is moving in that direction. For early adopters, though, the speeds available are tremendous, making slow external disk enclosures a thing of the past.

The Kingwin DockMaster USB 3.0 SATA Docking Station is an external drive enclosure that utilizes the speed of the latest technology in an extremely easy to use hot swap setup to serve all your backup and storage needs. And to show you what a massive difference that USB 3.0 makes, we'll be using a very fast Solid State Drive to show you not only how close USB comes to SATA II, but also how USB 2.0 is left behind in the dust.

Follow along with us as we take a close look at the Kingwin DockMaster USB 3.0 docking station and see for yourself just how fast an external drive can be.

Thanks go to Kingwin for supplying the review sample.

Sharkoon QuickPort Duo HDD Docking Station (http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/03/19/sharkoon-quickport-duo-hdd-docking-station-usb-30-sharkoon-quickport-hdd-docking-station-usb-30-connection-fits-25-35-sata-drives/)

The folks at Sharkoon have come up with an ingenious way to accommodate both 2.5″ and 3.5″ hard drives. Each docking slot on the station has a hinged mechanism that fits to the 2.5″ drive. If you dock in a 2.5″ drive, it fits snugly into the dock. If you do a bigger 3.5″ drive, it pushes the hinged cover out of the way and makes room for the bigger hard drive.

Each of the two docks has their own power switch and since the hard drives lock into place – they also have their own eject button. The HDD have to have the SATA interface (sorry, that old IDE drive is out of luck) and according to those who have used it, your operating system will “immediately” recognize the new hard drive after you plug it in.

The Sharkoon QuickPort Duo will come with two USB 3.0 cables, which is a nice touch. Sharkoon has produced dual-hard drive docking stations before, as well as a hard drive docking station that used USB 2.0 before – however, this is their first dual docking port USB 3.0 hard drive docking station.

The Sharkoon QuickPort Duo is on sale now, with the asking price of €59 ($80). Not too bad of a price, if you ask me.