PDA

View Full Version : which mail client do you recommend?

xixifrank
24.12.09, 09:53
as the titile~
I use that to check gmail. But I don't wanna install Gtalk.

Thunderbird? Sunbird? Outlook? or any other?:confused:

grebetu
24.12.09, 12:16
Depends on what you look for.

Outlook 2007 is the most powerful email client, but it's settings and options interface is a mess like most of the office 2007. It keeps all mail in one PST file so it's a breeze for backup. I use this. Good side-effect of using MS app is that most of sync apps for phones and stuff will be written to work with Outlook. Bad thing is that Outlook 2007 uses Word 2007 for rendering HTML mail, unlike 2003 that used IE engine. Word rendered HTML mail can look a great deal different than browser rendered. So if you use a lot of HTML mail you might want to consider other options.

The Bat! is also very powerful, has in many aspects much easier access to high-tech tweaks than Outlook. It keeps mail in separate files. It would be best client but it has years long issues with stability and countless reports of lost mail. That's one thing that automatically disqualifies e-mail client.

Sunbird is not a client but a calendar application that can integrate with Thunderbird.

Thunderbird is a nice basic e-mail client, it's development is great deal slower than Firefox and it doesn't have it's power even tho it's extensible.

If your needs are just basic e-mailing, like checking gmail accounts, all 3 can do that without problem.

Instab
24.12.09, 17:22
i recommend sylpheed. it's very fast, pure and probably safer than any other client. and it's multi platform. if you don't wanna install all the gnu stuff on osx give gyaz a try.

no matter what you're using stay away from any microsoft app by any means! they're the virus' paradise #1

alpacino
25.12.09, 02:06
Hello, hope xixifrank won't mind me asking this here, but do you guys know any client (free) which has a function like/similar to the "Incredimail's advanced access" where you can see a quick list of e-mails stored server side which weren't retrieved yet, giving you the possibility to delete them or picking up a more important one before all the others, etc.? I know I tried to find some extension to thunderbird with this, but haven't succeeded. Thanks.

Instab
25.12.09, 02:09
if your mail provider dös support imap you can set most clients not to download the complete message but only the headers.

pillow
25.12.09, 04:28
opera,
cant beat the luxury of a client in the browser sidebar.

of course you have to switch to opera then for browsing :)

yoco
25.12.09, 10:20
I'm using Thunderbird for years now! It's great!

grebetu
25.12.09, 13:48
Hello, hope xixifrank won't mind me asking this here, but do you guys know any client (free) which has a function like/similar to the "Incredimail's advanced access" where you can see a quick list of e-mails stored server side which weren't retrieved yet, giving you the possibility to delete them or picking up a more important one before all the others, etc.? I know I tried to find some extension to thunderbird with this, but haven't succeeded. Thanks.

well depends on what you consider free, bet for all of us here most of things are free :top:

anyway the first client that introduced header retrieval was calypso later renamed to courier, it was the ultimate mail client of the time sadly it's development was dropped many years ago. current courier version is free but it is very outdated and not recommended.

the bat! has this function implemented more like you described it - it lists headers on server and lets you choose what to download. unfortunately it's not free but shareware.

outlook (and newer versions of thunderbird i think) uses same way as calypso - it allows you to download headers only, then mark those you want and next time you click send/receive it fetches bodies.

this function was a great time-saver on modem lines with friends that casually send 20MB over mail. nowdays it takes more time to download headers/mark what you want/download bodies than it takes to download everything and let your junk filters throw away crap :smile:

r4veZ
27.12.09, 23:10
I'm thinking of using Thunderbird again.