PDA

View Full Version : Installing vuze extreme mod under ubuntu

SBfreak
15.11.09, 16:21
Hello all:cool:.
After having so much trouble installing vuze extreme mod in ubuntu I decided to make a extreme noob tutorial edition.
1.First of all you will need java runtime environment installed.
a.One way is to do it is through synaptic package manager
-Go: System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager
-in "quick search enter java "
-install the following packages

java common
sun-java6-bin
sun-java6-jre
sun-java6-plugin
and all their dependencies.
http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=5187

b.The other way to do it is with the help of a tweaking noob friendly software named ubuntu tweak (ubuntu-tweak.com/)
-after you installed the ubuntu tweak .deb package go to:Applications-->System Tools-->Ubuntu tweak-->Applications-->Add/Remove-->check Ubuntu restricted extrashttp://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=5188

c.Testing Java Runtime Environment

You’ll want to confirm that your system is configured properly for Sun’s JRE. This is a two-step process.

First, check that the JRE is properly installed by running the following command from a terminal.

java -version
You should get similar output:

java version “1.6.0″
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode, sharing)
(optional)Testing Java Plugin for Firefox-open Firefox and typing about:plugins in the address bar and check for java plugin

2.Downloading required files
a.If you don't know what version of ubuntu you have check what Platform says in the Computer option in ubuntu tweak.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/files/
b.If you have ubuntu x64 you must download the x64 version of vuze.
Right now it's Vuze_4.3.0.0_linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
Otherwise just download vuze for linux from the official site or Vuze_x.x.x.x_linux.tar.bz2 from sourceforge.

c.Downloading Vuze extreme mod from SB-I. (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f2/sb-i-release-list-mods-tools-16086/#post134826)

3.Installing
You should now have 2 files.The vuze extreme mod archive and the vuze .tar.gz.
-go to your Home folder:Places-->Home folder.
-copy those two archives,right click on them and chose Extract here
-delete the two archives as you will o longer need them.
-cut the contents of vuze extreme mod folder into the vuze folder.
-delete the empty vuze extreme mod folder.

4.Starting and configuring.
-go to Applications-->Accesories-->Terminal
-type cd vuze
-type ./vuze
-now the vuze torrent client should start.
-go to Tools-->Options-->Interface-->Start
It should look like this.http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=5189
Now vuze will no longer update by it self.
I suggest you switch to the classic interface.

You should also check these threads:
[Tutorial about the Vuze Extreme Mod] All settings explained (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f59/tutorial-about-vuze-extreme-mod-all-settings-explained-13781/#post111638) thanks to anon:top:
How I Installed Shu Mod in Linux (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f59/how-i-installed-shu-mod-linux-3673/)

Credits: -me for compiling this guide
-all other members that helped me in the How I Installed Shu Mod in Linux thread

Instab
15.11.09, 23:06
you could have made the credits section a bit bigger :wink:

SBfreak
16.11.09, 12:44
you could have made the credits section a bit bigger :wink:

What are you trying to say?:confused:
All members in How I Installed Shu Mod in Linux includes you who helped me find out that I was using a different version of vuze than the one required.

capito
18.11.09, 02:02
works. :top:
don't forget to make a custom desktop icon.
mine is

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Vuze
Comment=Vuze BitTorrent Client
Exec=/home/capito/vuze/vuze
Type=Application
*Icon=/home/capito/.local/share/icons/application-x-magnet.png
Categories=Application;Network;
MimeType=application/x-bittorrent
Terminal=0
type this into your text editor and save it as vuze.desktop into the vuze folder
put your user instead of capito.
drag&drop it into your panel
*you can search the icon later (right clic in the icon in the panel, settings...), and that entry will change acording to your system
now you have vuze one clic ahead. :biggrin:

Instab
18.11.09, 02:32
works. :top:
don't forget to make a custom desktop icon.
mine is

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Vuze
Type=Application
Terminal=0
type this into your text editor and save it as vuze.desktop into the vuze folder
*you can search the icon later (right clic in the icon in the panel, settings...), and that entry will change acording to your system
now you have vuze one clic ahead. :biggrin:

one could add that this method works for all gnome desktops.

capito
18.11.09, 02:41
one could add that this method works for all gnome desktops.
i'm using kde, so it works for both: gnome and kde.

Instab
18.11.09, 03:47
i'm using kde, so it works for both: gnome and kde.

even better then :top:

--->HDBD<---
08.12.09, 17:01
3.Installing
You should now have 2 files.The vuze extreme mod archive and the vuze .tar.gz.
-go to your Home folder:Places-->Home folder.
-copy those two archives,right click on them and chose Extract here
-delete the two archives as you will o longer need them.
-cut the contents of vuze extreme mod folder into the vuze folder.
-delete the empty vuze extreme mod folder.

Can not copy to Home folder permission denied

Instab
08.12.09, 17:17
do it as root. example:

su - root
chmod 666 file1 file2
cp file1 file2 ~

you have to replace file1 and file2 with the actual file names of course

shoulder
08.12.09, 17:41
Or type this:

sudo nautilus
This starts the file manager with root permissions.

--->HDBD<---
08.12.09, 17:48
bitmachine@Xeon:~$ sudo nautilus
[sudo] password for bitmachine:

(nautilus:3637): Eel-CRITICAL **: eel_preferences_get_boolean: assertion `preferences_is_initialized ()' failed

** (nautilus:3637): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'UploadFinished'

** (nautilus:3637): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'DownloadFinished'

** (nautilus:3637): WARNING **: No marshaller for signature of signal 'ShareCreateError'
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: »net usershare« gab den Fehler 255 zurück: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

(nautilus:3637): Eel-WARNING **: "nautilus-directory.c: directories" hash table still has 1 element at quit time
Shutting down nautilus-gdu extension

(nautilus:3637): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
bitmachine@Xeon:~$

wenn ich auch sudo nautilus eingebe geht trotzdem nicht

Instab
08.12.09, 18:38
Or type this:

sudo nautilus
This starts the file manager with root permissions.

that's dangerous for rookies. one wrong click happens much faster than one wrong command

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

wenn ich auch sudo nautilus eingebe geht trotzdem nicht

ah, i see. the root account dösn't have the samba shares folder. one more reason to stick to the simple manual method i posted above. :top:

but in case you'd like to fix that:

su - root
mkdir -p /var/lib/samba/usershares

--->HDBD<---
25.01.10, 21:02
wie kann ich java version "1.6.0_0" zu jre-6u18 update Ubuntu 9.10

Instab
26.01.10, 00:37
either through ubuntu's software update or install it directly from Download Free Java Software - Sun Microsystems (http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp)

supermarrioh
28.02.10, 23:21
gksudo nautilus, not sudo nautilus.
gksudo has some extra-functionalities for non-console applications.

dju
28.07.10, 12:44
This method works well on 10.04LTS 64bit, but i'm using VEM so long on my ubuntu machine, that there is about ~500 torrents running and it's a bit slow when launching, but i dont care as long as it works :)
It worked on 9.10 too as i remember, but that time i installed Vuze from synaptic and copied the .jar and other files over the original somewhere in /usr/bin i guess... Versions of VEM and Vuze were the same, so i had no problems running it.

Blocker
06.08.10, 06:14
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Vuze
Type=Application
Terminal=0

now you have vuze one clic ahead.

I tried the custom deskpot icon and doesn't work for me

I got this message

The application launcher "vuze.desktop" was not marked as trusted. If you do not know the source of this file may not be safe to launch

Instab
06.08.10, 06:15
I tried the custom deskpot icon and dösn't work for me

I got this message

lol, now they're starting like windows :lol:

Blocker
08.05.11, 05:06
I've got this with the current VEM release,any ideas of what can I do to solve this problem??

Starting Azureus...
Suitable java version found [java = 1.6.0_22]
Configuring environment...
Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
Browser check failed with: Cannot load 64-bit SWT libraries on 32-bit JVM
Auto-scanning for GRE/XULRunner. You can skip this by appending the GRE path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and setting MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME.
checking /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons for GRE
Can not use GRE from /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons because it's missing libxpcom.so.
checking /usr/lib/firefox for GRE
Can not use GRE from /usr/lib/firefox because it's missing libxpcom.so.
checking /usr/lib/xulrunner for GRE
Can not use GRE from /usr/lib/xulrunner because it's missing libxpcom.so.
checking /usr/lib/firefox-4.0.1 for GRE
GRE found at /usr/lib/firefox-4.0.1.
Browser check failed with: Could not initialize class org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display
Can't create browser. Will try to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and hope Vuze Plus Extreme Mod has better luck.
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to: /usr/lib/firefox-4.0.1
setting MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME to: /usr/lib/firefox-4.0.1
Loading Azureus:
java -Xmx128m -cp "./Azureus2.jar:./commons-cli.jar:./ghostfucker_utils.jar:./junit.jar:./log4j.jar:./swt.jar" -Djava.library.path="/home/miguel/vuze" -Dazureus.install.path="/home/miguel/vuze" -Dazureus.script="./vuze" -Dazureus.script.version=2 org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main
file:/home/XXX/vuze/Azureus2.jar ; file:/home/XXX/vuze/commons-cli.jar ; file:/home/XXX/vuze/ghostfucker_utils.jar ; file:/home/XXX/vuze/junit.jar ; file:/home/XXX/vuze/log4j.jar ; file:/home/XXX/vuze/swt.jar ; file:/home/XXX/vuze/
changeLocale: *Default Language* != Spanish (XXX). Searching without country..
changeLocale: Searching for language Spanish in *any* country..
changeLocale: no message properties for Locale 'Spanish (XXX)' (es_XX), using 'Spanish (Spain)'
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInsta nce(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newI nstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Construc tor.java:532)
at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main.<init>(Main.java:114)
at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main.main(Main.java:292)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:616)
at com.aelitis.azureus.launcher.MainExecutor$1.run(Ma inExecutor.java:37)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:679)
Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load 64-bit SWT libraries on 32-bit JVM
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Libra ry.java:194)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Libra ry.java:174)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.<clinit>(C.java:21)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Conve rter.java:63)
at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Conve rter.java:54)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:132)
at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.mainwindow.SWTThread.<init>(SWTThread.java:84)
at org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.mainwindow.SWTThread.crea teInstance(SWTThread.java:63)
at com.aelitis.azureus.ui.swt.Initializer.<init>(Initializer.java:162)
... 12 more
Exit from Azureus complete
No shutdown tasks to do
Azureus TERMINATED.

o1nk
08.05.11, 10:09
Can you say something about the resources that are used, when you use it in Linux?
I have a netbook and I think about to make it to a "seedbox"...

Do you think it's better for the lifetime of the netbook if I use Linux? Perhaps not the big Ubuntu, I think about Gentoo or sth like this :)

Thank you ;)

Renji-Kun
08.05.11, 11:10
Can you say something about the resources that are used, when you use it in Linux?
I have a netbook and I think about to make it to a "seedbox"...

Do you think it's better for the lifetime of the netbook if I use Linux? Perhaps not the big Ubuntu, I think about Gentoo or sth like this :)

Thank you ;)

doesn't matter the OS u use for lifetime
today all the OS TODAY have a great support for saving battery/energy
anon said in some thread a precious hint about saving battery which is one of the more important things on netbook usb is a vamp so try to avoid use too much usb

anon
08.05.11, 19:31
USB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, they're all great drains. I assume you'll be running the netbook on AC power, though - in that case, remember to remove the battery so that it doesn't get extra "pressure" on it.

What you're looking for is an OS that's both light and has good power management, qualities will make your hardware last longer. I use Windows 7 and uTorrent myself, but that's the full opposite of what you want (Linux and Azureus) :lol:

Another very important thing is the disk cache. Try to set its size as large as reasonably possible, and minimize all disk access. These are my uT settings:
http://www.sb-innovation.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=10703

Doing that will seed the most frequently uploaded pieces directly from RAM, and is therefore extremely recommendable. Keep an eye on the RAM usage though, you don't want to go over the edge and crash Azureus.

SBfreak
02.07.11, 18:38
The tutorial works but is quite outdated.If you need help installing java on any distro and google did not help just ask.
Also Synaptic package manager will be removed from Ubuntu 11.10 so you will have to do:

sudo apt-get install synaptic
or you could use the Software Center. :dabs:

Instab
03.07.11, 02:27
Synaptic package manager will be removed from Ubuntu 11.10

no, it's just not part of the default installation anymore. otherwise you wouldn't be able to install it without adding external sources.

SBfreak
03.07.11, 09:43
no, it's just not part of the default installation anymore. otherwise you wouldn't be able to install it without adding external sources.

You know what I was trying to say :tongue:

kelly
23.09.11, 05:49
I assume you'll be running the netbook on AC power, though - in that case, remember to remove the battery so that it doesn't get extra "pressure" on it.

But doesn't modern laptops/netbooks have the capability to shut itself off when charged fully? I need to be really worried if it doesn't. :(

@Blocker

I've got this with the current VEM release,any ideas of what can I do to solve this problem??

Caused by: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Cannot load 64-bit SWT libraries on 32-bit JVM

^ This is the culprit.

Do this.
1. Download 32 bit libraries from here - http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.6.2-201102101200/swt-3.6.2-gtk-linux-x86.zip
2. Extract the downloaded file.
3. Copy the contents of the extracted file into you /vuze directory.
4. Run ./azureus again. It should work.

swt.jar is causing the trouble..

anon
23.09.11, 14:32
Yes, they should. But I still remove the battery when not in use as a cautionary measure.

Blocker
22.07.12, 23:06
Hey guys!

I reinstall VEM in Ubuntu

Do you know how can I avoid Typing the following in the terminal.
"
-type cd vuze
-type ./vuze
-now the vuze torrent client should start."

Maybe creating a shortcut

Sorry I'm a n00b linux user :tongue:

Lucius
23.07.12, 11:57
Hey guys!

I reinstall VEM in Ubuntu

Do you know how can I avoid Typing the following in the terminal.
"
-type cd vuze
-type ./vuze
-now the vuze torrent client should start."

Maybe creating a shortcut

Sorry I'm a n00b linux user :tongue:

take a look at this :
How do I create shortcut commands in the Ubuntu terminal? - Stack Overflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5658781/how-do-i-create-shortcut-commands-in-the-ubuntu-terminal)
Create terminal shortcuts (http://lifehacker.com/270799/create-terminal-shortcuts)

I hope this will work for you I'm not a linuxer :) .

cloud99
07.07.17, 09:43
I tried the custom deskpot icon and doesn't work for me

I got this message

The application launcher "vuze.desktop" was not marked as trusted. If you do not know the source of this file may not be safe to launch

Select the desktop file and open up its properties and check the option "allow executing file as program". This should do it!

cloud99
21.07.17, 09:30
You can also run VEM via command without having the terminal active.

First press Alt+F4 on your keyboard. Next when the dash board appear with the headers "Run a command" enter "/home/cloud99/vuze/vuze".
Make sure to change "cloud99" with your original system name and change the directories if it is different. This work on Ubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf). One drawback about this command is that it does not hide the Vuze icon.

Good luck!

k28
25.09.17, 13:55
could this work with android(aosp/lineageos 14.1)?

cloud99
25.09.17, 14:22

I don't think this is possible. However, give me some time let me unpack the apk and see whether the source can be modified. Though I highly doubt this is going to happen.

Why don't you try out VEM for a PC or Laptop? Also may I ask why did you choose this thread? It clearly states running Vuze Extreme mod in Ubuntu.

~cloud99

anon
25.09.17, 16:15
Android apps are written in Java, but that doesn't mean you can run any Java app on Android. It must be designed or at least compiled specifically for the platform. There is an official version of Vuze for Android, mind you, but it's not the same program. It only has basic features, and needless to say, is not modded either.

If you want to cheat, use a real computer :wwink:

cloud99
26.09.17, 07:05
Modifying the source leads to the app to crash. I tried adding the I2P plugin (for testing purpose) to the apk and tried loading it in android center. This cause a lot of glitches which forced me to kill my virtual box via System Monitor. So we have derived to the same point that it (VEM) cannot be runned on an android/ipad/iphone etc device.
~cloud99

cloud99
10.02.18, 13:58
Hi there,

I noticed an android app which works as a ratio-faker. Here:- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.natinusala.moaratio&hl=en
However, there doesn't seem to been any updates over the years.

~cloud99

Lucius
11.02.18, 10:00
Hi there,

I noticed an android app which works as a ratio-faker. Here:- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.natinusala.moaratio&hl=en
However, there doesn't seem to been any updates over the years.

~cloud99

It's not secure at all also.