PDA

View Full Version : ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 - Changing the Game

elegant
28.10.09, 00:14
During a Radeon HD 5800 series launch event recently, ATI told the press they wanted to change the game. Well, it seems that they have done it. The new Radeon HD 5870 is nothing short of spectacular, as it provides great performance and class-leading power efficiency. The next six months will be interesting as they'll be expanding the Radeon 5000 series. Meanwhile, the green camp has remained suspiciously quiet, and not much, if anything at all, has been heard of the upcoming GT300 series.

For a very good introduction to the 5800 Series and a very well done review, goto:

ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 excellent review (http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=3012&cid=3&pg=1)

slikrapid
28.10.09, 00:51
During a Radeon HD 5800 series launch event recently, ATI told the press they wanted to change the game. Well, it seems that they have done it. The new Radeon HD 5870 is nothing short of spectacular, as it provides great performance and class-leading power efficiency.

the usual marketing exaggeration , they just managed to slightly outperform the nvidia competition (not in every aspect)

yet the price is as expected too high (compared to lower level ati cards sometimes even 4x higher for a 2x increase in performance)

the consumption is an improvement, the temperatures aren't

conclusion: nothing spectacular, really :tongue:

alpacino
28.10.09, 14:12
I'm expecting an answer from nVidia, with their GT300 series or something. Then maybe the 5800 series prices will lower, I hope.

kazuya
28.10.09, 16:59
Ok now Nvidia will "maybe" make stronger card but what use ,it will be then damn expensive.Ati can now also make more faster card but they know the Price then goes up,problem is to make fastest card that costs less...

v6ph1
28.10.09, 19:56
I'm expecting an answer from nVidia, with their GT300 series or something. Then maybe the 5800 series prices will lower, I hope.
It will - independed of the power of Fermi.

But NVidia has to release Fermi. Afaik the release date will be in january - too late for christmas shopping.

@silkrapid: HD5800 hasn't outperformed the GTX2XX series in every aspect?
power consumtion is better, graphic power too. (in every game)
the quality of pictures ist best.
HD5800 supports DX11 - GTX2XX doesn't even support DX10.1

Where is NVidia better?
CUDA is slower than Stream and Physixs isn't as often used als Havok.

The actual winner is AMD with 5:0. - NVidia has to release fermi very quick - AMD will release dual GPU cards like HD5900 in the next months and a HD5890 is planned (and produced?).

best regards
v6ph1

slikrapid
28.10.09, 20:24
HD5800 hasn't outperformed the GTX2XX series in every aspect?
graphic power too. (in every game)

it is better in almost every game, check the game test pix again :wink:

example:
Crysis Warhead, nvidia is better in 5 out of 6 settings