PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Review

thecoolest
08.10.09, 11:37
In just two weeks, on Oct. 22, Microsoft's long operating-system nightmare will be over. The company will release Windows 7, a faster and much better operating system than the little-loved Windows Vista, which did a lot to harm both the company's reputation, and the productivity and blood pressure of its users. PC makers will rush to flood physical and online stores with new computers pre-loaded with Windows 7, and to offer the software to Vista owners who wish to upgrade.

With Windows 7, PC users will at last have a strong, modern successor to the sturdy and familiar, but aged, Windows XP, which is still the most popular version of Windows, despite having come out in 2001. In the high-tech world, an eight-year-old operating system is the equivalent of a 20-year-old car. While XP works well for many people, it is relatively weak in areas such as security, networking and other features more important today than when XP was designed around 1999.

After using pre-release versions of Windows 7 for nine months, and intensively testing the final version for the past month on many different machines, I believe it is the best version of Windows Microsoft has produced. It's a boost to productivity and a pleasure to use. Despite a few drawbacks, I can heartily recommend Windows 7 to mainstream consumers....

more info here:top:

A Review of Windows 7 - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703298004574459293141191728.html?m od=djemptech)

Aurion
08.10.09, 18:31
Well,I was waiting for a stable version of Windows 7 to switch my behavior to it,but I'm afraid to face the same scheme of Vista when it frist came out since lots of people were fascinated of it's shiney colors & gadgets.

anon
08.10.09, 19:00
7 is supposedly Vista but fortified with XP leetness :tongue:

The retail version should be out the 22nd of this month.

alpacino
08.10.09, 21:54
Nice review, I'm willing to try this new "vista" seven. :biggrin: Here hoping not to have many incompatibilities issues.

MoS
08.10.09, 23:22
I tried both Win 7 32 and 64 bit.
The only prob is compatibility with alot of software versions which are common. The prob in Win7 64 is worse than the 32-bit version.

zipang
09.10.09, 00:06
Vista is version 6.0
7 is version 6.1
You know the meaning of version.
Windows 7 is almost same as Vista SP2.
According to MS, Windows 8 is major upgrade which version will be 7.0.

alpacino
09.10.09, 00:53
I see that the most troublesome thing about microsoft 64bit systems is the need for digitally signed drivers, which can be problematic for some free applications that can't afford to pay to have their drivers signed. Other than that I always thought 64bit system were a myth, because they give the false impression they would be 2x the performance of a 32bit, whereas they can't even deliver a 50% boost, laughable.

slikrapid
09.10.09, 01:11
In the high-tech world, an eight-year-old operating system is the equivalent of a 20-year-old car. While XP works well for many people, it is relatively weak in areas such as security, networking and other features more important today than when XP was designed around 1999.

not necessarily, a well designed OS can always be upgraded for new hardware & functionality

somehow i doubt win7 will be 'much' more secure than other M$ OS's

Well,I was waiting for a stable version of Windows 7 to switch my behavior to it,but I'm afraid to face the same scheme of Vista when it frist came out since lots of people were fascinated of it's shiney colors & gadgets.

actually, the reviewers were quite critical & disappointed when vista came out, with win7 its a different story - reviewers seem to be satisfied with the results

thecoolest
10.10.09, 07:58
true.i want stable & updateable version of windows 7 wait for little time..but i get it..soon as anon told the date...

i wanna test it too..soon to be possible:top:

kazuya
10.10.09, 09:43
anybody knows how many TCP open connections will it have? :biggrin:

alpacino
10.10.09, 09:52
anybody knows how many TCP open connections will it have? :biggrin:

TCP open connection limit was taken out from Vista sp2, and also won't be present on Windows 7.

thecoolest
10.10.09, 10:26
gud to know alpacino coz i didnt notice that thing on my windows vista :D

chonk
10.10.09, 19:18
i'm using windows 7 since june.
i think it's my personal record :) because i didn't format my hdd since i installed.
that's it, windows 7 rocks!

thecoolest
11.10.09, 10:06
just want to know which is better windows 7 at this time?coz

i got oem 86/64 bit too

& also eternity edition 86/64 bit too...any 1 suggest me which is best?????

anon
11.10.09, 12:48
Eternity Edition isn't official, of course.

I used Tiny7 by eXPer1ence to try 7 on a VirtualBox, and plan to wait for him to mod the final once it's released.

CS Curse
13.10.09, 22:48
Looking forward to this one. I have had a lot of problems with Vista. Lukkily I got a coupon for a free windows 7 upgrade when I bought my pc!:)

thecoolest
14.10.09, 07:13
ohh k...i understand...but eternity has good looks..as i saw some of its pics.

also windows 7 i got from bie grp & up2date grp...do i have to grab that copy now?or wait for some more time?

anon
14.10.09, 11:35
also windows 7 i got from bie grp & up2date grp...do i have to grab that copy now?

If you mean eXPer1ence's future release, that's up to you :tongue: They're very lightweight, but due to the removed stuff some programs may not work.

thecoolest
14.10.09, 12:24
yup..thats true...no i want to choose 1 of this grp's dvd to download 4m trackers i cant decide which to do

1st is BIE 2nd is UP2DATE i cant understand which 1 is works or anything like it???

fromas
14.10.09, 14:02
you should grab the BIE Release
This is the better group ;)
grab the release that was pred a few hours ago
the "Integrated October" Release
u only have to choose if you want to have the X86 oder X64 Rel
both are updateable and stable

system28
14.10.09, 14:22
I´m using the older BIE-Release and its still updateable and stable! Thumbs up for BIE!!

Xalexalex
14.10.09, 16:53
I have been using 7 for a month. It's the best OS I used so far, waaay faster and more stable than Vista, and it has a lot of small - yet very useful - new functionalities. If you're still doubtful about it, trust me: it worths a try =)

Doppelboom
14.10.09, 20:31
I also have win 7 and i must say that it don't disappoint me. I used vista omg so many problems so many troja. an virus. A negative poit for w.7 is the price, it's to expensive. I mean it's just an update for win. vista and they want 100 euro.

thecoolest
15.10.09, 10:47
got it...just getting torrent & download starts soon...

LeechMaster
15.10.09, 16:12
I have delayed getting a new Laptop. In order to have Windows 7 OEM with it. Now I see from the review that it deserves it.

t3kila
24.10.09, 01:23
An another good article (but in french)
==> Clubic (http://www.clubic.com/article-274266-1-windows-7-microsoft-test-dossier.html)

hubut
24.10.09, 02:26
I have been using windows 7 right from beta. Its a solid OS. What vista should have been from the beginning in my opinion, i wonder what all if any additions will be in the final release. Possibly see the new version will pop up soon *crossing fingers*

badazz
24.10.09, 02:54
they still havnt perfected vista yet, im still using xp and im sure 7 willl have some issues too

Helios
24.10.09, 04:55
Been using Win 7 since the beta first came out, and the last month and a bit with the official version from MSDN (gotta love access to that since im at uni :D).

Anyways, regarding the digitally signed driver issue with 64bit. If you dont mind installing unsigned drivers, you can override the enforcement of them. The NGO driver team created an application that will let you turn win 7 into test mode, and then allow you to install a signed driver once you give it a file path. Then you can turn test mode off again. I have never had any issues with it, but always remember to be cautious of what you install.

Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider Downloads (http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=34)

Windows 7 is quite solid, i haven't really had many issues with the OS. Though originally there were codec problems, so if you are having any issues take a look at this codec pack created just for windows 7 (includes 64 bit components).

Shark007.net - Windows 7 Codecs (http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html)

Helios

zipang
25.10.09, 08:38
For me,
Windows Vista SP2 + Touch Panel = Windows 7