PDA

View Full Version : How to securely use eMule ?

Renk
27.09.09, 21:43
It may seem like a dummy question, but I give more precision on what I'm speaking about.

On ed2k network, there are working servers witch are heavily suspected of being spy-servers.

These servers are giving good sources, but most likely are spying/loging you, too.

So there is a dilemma in using -or not- these servers.

I would find a way to securely connect to the server (eg passing through Tor all the communications with the server I'm connected), but of course without using Tor for communication between peers and filesharing.

anon
27.09.09, 21:43
So there is a dilemma in using -or not- these servers.

If you want to be 100% sure, don't - use Kad only. Although your Tor workaround is a good idea, and shouldn't eat too much bandwidth. Using Spooky mode to minimize server contact would also be nice, although in that case they'll have at least one log entry with your IP.

Renk
27.09.09, 22:31
Although your Tor workaround is a good idea, and shouldn't eat too much bandwidth.

At first sight, it seemed to me a good idea, but I don't know exactly how to implement it: If in emule proxy settings, I set "proxy type = socks v4a" and "proxy port = 9050" (while Tor is running) all TCP traffic, including file exchange, will pass through Tor; If I set "proxy type = http1.1" and "port=8118" (while Tor+Privoxy running), no filesharing flow will pass through Tor (I think), but will really all the communications between my PC and the server I'm connected pass through Tor/Privoxy ???

Using Spooky mode to minimize server contact would also be nice, although in that case they'll have at least one log entry with your IP.

I read the wiki link you gave about spooky mode on another thread. But spooky mode remains a bit mysterious for me: In order spooky mode be activated, the emule client must be high id on some server, suggesting that connections to a server are used. But in the same time, when spooky mode is enabled, my emule is no more connected to ed2k and Kad networks.

anon
27.09.09, 22:35
At first sight, it seemed to me a good idea ...

Sorry, I misunderstood your post and thought you had already found a way! eMule only uses HTTP to download updates, and server/node lists, so that option would be useless to you.

I read the wiki link you gave about spooky mode on another thread. But spooky mode remains a bit mysterious for me: In order order to be activated, the emule client must be high id on some server, suggesting that connections to a server are used. But in the same time, when spooky mode is enabled, my emule is no more connected to ed2k and Kad networks.

Yes, you indeed need to connect to a server to check if you have a high ID. Spooky mode disables both networks when enabled, and since XS doesn't work with a low ID, that'd be relying on the sources you already have *only*, if any.

After it connects to the server and Kad, it "hits" them to get sources, then disconnects and only uses source exchange. It's a bit like the equivalent of ghostleeching in BitTorrent.

desodorante
15.11.09, 01:02
Hello! Long time no see you people. :smile:
I will personally recommend to use P2PFire with a merge of Peerguardian+up to date IPfilter. Also, use Peerates.net server.met (and obfuscated connections enabled of course, even set to only obfuscated connections)
I think that should be enough, unless you live somewhere where you could actually get yourself in trouble por P2P.
I personally do not like Tor, It seems a bit of a naive approach to me, but that is just my opinion.
You could probably use a Modem Router with a NAT compatible emule mod so that it gets the Router's MAC and not yours.
And Anon's suggestion of using KAD only is most likely the best option.

Hope it helps! Cheers to everybody!

t3kila
17.11.09, 22:34
The best is use a ipfilter (Ipfilterx (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ed2k-ipfilterx/)), a good firewall and of course dont download stupid things ^^