PDA

View Full Version : PS2 outselling PS3 and PSP!

kelly
03.08.09, 19:50
Hi guys ,

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3336/pspk.jpg

In a surprise turn of events Sony during its end quarter results has announced that sales of the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable have fallen down , albeit PS2 has outsold or is on the same lines as PS3 & PSP.

According to the published results,Sony managed to sell 1.1 million PlayStation 3s worldwide so far and 1.3 million PlayStation Portables. That's compared to 1.6 million PS3s and 3.7 million PSPs in the same period last year.

The PlayStation 2 however managed to sell 1.6 million consoles, performing just as well as the PS3 did this time last year and out-performing both of the newer PlayStations this year.

Source: Bit-tech (http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/07/30/ps2-outselling-ps3-and-psp/1)

What do you think the probable reason might be ? Is it the pricing factor ? Is it large number of PS2 titles?....pour in your views

Regards
Kelly

cheatos
03.08.09, 19:59
What do you think the probable reason might be ? Is it the pricing factor ? Is it large number of PS2 titles?....pour in your views

because the PS3 cannot be modified (hacked) (.)

:top:

splicer
03.08.09, 21:38
Hmmm, I reckon it's due to the fact that most PS3's no longer support PS2 games, and as the PS2 can be bought for as little as £46 (Sony PlayStation 2 Slimline Console (Black): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games), some are just buying one for the hell of it so they can play so many classics.

CS Curse
03.08.09, 22:06
It's a cheap and very good console with a lot of good titles. For the non-hardcore gamers it's a good buy.

Dynamic
04.08.09, 06:22
I think give it some more time. PS3 is much more powerful than PS2 and will have the staying power...I although cannot justify paying so much for a PS3...

alpacino
04.08.09, 06:48
That really doesn't surprise me much. PS2 is a great console, and despite the shortage of incoming new titles, it will stay up for some time. PS3 is still a very expensive console, but has the "advantage" of coming out bundled as a Blu-ray player, which is great for HD content lovers.

kelly
04.08.09, 07:41
Basically i agree with all of the above posts.

From a casual gamer perspective Ps2 wins hands down.I feel PS3 or any new generation consoles for that matter as a complete entertainment home entertainment system.Having Blu Ray as a default player for High definition just adds a one more feather to it .

Coming back to the topic, i feel the removal PS2 support in Ps3 is the main cause.However Sony had no other option i presume.Monetary reason could be the main factor to do soo.For each PS2 sold the profit magin would be more when compared to PS3.

alpacino
04.08.09, 08:54
Maybe it's not all lost for PS2 support on the PS3, I remember reading an article that mentioned Sony had filled a patent request for a software emulation, or something. But I think it will be like PS1 games on PSN, i.e., you will have to buy the PS2 games online to play them.

yoco
04.08.09, 11:47
PS2+Swap Magic 3,6 = WIN :tongue::top:

Empoleon
04.08.09, 12:18
The fact PS3 is still damn pricey and can't be moded is why PS2 is the supreme seller.

P.S. Why can't the PS3 be hacked, surely the crackers would have figured something out by now, grrr

SBfreak
04.08.09, 12:57
PS2 for the win.I think I'm going to buy one when I have enough money.
Besides thee are more games for PS2 than for PS3..

Empoleon
04.08.09, 14:43
^When you have enough money. What are you waiting for, when it hits the same price as a big-mac meal.

kelly
04.08.09, 19:45
P.S. Why can't the PS3 be hacked, surely the crackers would have figured something out by now, grrr

I feel that's main;y because PS3 is a way too ahead of our current technology both in terms of hardware & software.

When it comes to hardware , PS3 incorporates Cell processor-an architecture which delivers performance previously only possible on supercomputers.Hence its quite obvious that it lacks application optimization.

When it comes to software..i believe its a massive Spider web inside the PS3.The minute your PS3 boots up, it runs through 4 stages of security at all times. All 4 stages have secrets that will need to be decoded in order to reach the next stage. So think of hacking the PS3 to be similar to a treasure hunt. You discover the clues and figure out a way to piece them all together to find the treasure. Except in this hunt for the booty, if you mess up one tiny thing, the whole mission collapses and your PS3 could possibly explode into vast reaches of outer space:shockkk!:

Then lack of coordination between hackers could also be a hinderance. :mad:

Empoleon
05.08.09, 04:44
It seems you know to much kelly, perhaps you have attempted, jk.

That appears to be one highly protected machine of the highest order and I suppose your right that the PS3 is too technologically advanced. I was still hoping like all, that a hack did occur, oh well.

Any chance, upon exploding the console can be used as some kind of time transforming mechanism ;P

killa
05.08.09, 05:02
i got the black ps2 which has now out sold the black ps3
you know that i got a good deal

suroyo
05.08.09, 09:45
Maybe it's not all lost for PS2 support on the PS3, I remember reading an article that mentioned Sony had filled a patent request for a software emulation, or something. But I think it will be like PS1 games on PSN, i.e., you will have to buy the PS2 games online to play them.

Yes there is some speculation that Sony's going to reintroduce PS2 emulation on the PS3. Here is the article you were referring to I think (LINK (http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/29/sony-patents-emotion-engine-emulation-technology-for-cell-processors/))

I don't think the PS2 outselling the PS3 is surprising at all considering the quality of its titles. I really hope I don't have to buy everything again on PSN, if Sony goes for that route.

Empoleon
05.08.09, 11:06
Thanks for the link suroyo, hopefully thats true, excellent idea. Although didn't the first PS3 models have backwards compatibility before that got scrapped.

You can always back-up your PS3, to retain all your data. So you don't have to sweat on that idea.

naughtydog
05.08.09, 13:56
The ps3 had backwards capability but they it out for some stated reasons on the PSN site. I think for reintroducing the ps2 backward capbility it needs some sort of hardware not an software update through the normal ps3 update.

alpacino
06.08.09, 07:58
Yes there is some speculation that Sony's going to reintroduce PS2 emulation on the PS3. Here is the article you were referring to I think (LINK (http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/29/sony-patents-emotion-engine-emulation-technology-for-cell-processors/))

I don't think the PS2 outselling the PS3 is surprising at all considering the quality of its titles. I really hope I don't have to buy everything again on PSN, if Sony goes for that route.That's exactly the article I read before, thanks. And yes, I hope sony don't go for that move either, they already fucked up a lot with this new PSPGo that basically ruins PSP gamers with huge library of games, what were they thinking when they took the optical unit out. :mad:

The ps3 had backwards capability but they it out for some stated reasons on the PSN site. I think for reintroducing the ps2 backward capbility it needs some sort of hardware not an software update through the normal ps3 update.I think software emulation will do just fine, xbox originals for example are run on the xbox360 through software emulation.
If you take a look at an opened first model PS3 machine, you can clearly see an added PS2 card, meaning the emulation on initial models was indeed a hardware one.

CS Curse
06.08.09, 22:30
If you take a look at an opened first model PS3 machine, you can clearly see an added PS2 card, meaning the emulation on initial models was indeed a hardware one.

In Europe the first ps3's have a software-emulation. I have one of those and it works fine. Still I don't think it will be released for the new versions. Those rumors have been there for almost as long as the ps3 didn't have backwards compatability anymore, and it still isn't available. So I think we should stop hoping for it.

blacksox
08.08.09, 07:46
hmms thats weird thought ps3 would be mainstream by now