PDA

View Full Version : Intel strengthens its hold in SSD,releases 2nd generation X25-M solid-state drive

kelly
27.07.09, 20:26
Hi guys,

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2246/ssd.jpg

Much has changed in the 11 months since the X25-M's initial launch, though.Intel has been busy since the X25-M's launch, too. In November of last year, it unleashed a single-level cell (SLC) version of the X25 geared toward enterprise environments. A line of 1.8" X18-M SSDs also joined the family. More recently, in April, Intel released a firmware update to improve the long-term performance of its X25-M and X18-M models. All along the way, Intel has aggressively cut prices. And today it comes out with a second generation SSD X-25M

SSDs remain an expensive proposition, even for enthusiasts accustomed to paying top dollar for high-performance hardware. Prices continue to plummet, though, spurred most recently by Intel's introduction of a new generation of X25-M drives based on 34nm fabrication technology. These new units are much cheaper than their forebears, with the latest 80GB flavor selling for just $225 in bulk quantities—35% less than the street price of the old X25-M. And it gets better, because Intel says these latest models are even faster than the originals. One arrived at our doorstep this past Wednesday afternoon, and we've been testing it since. Let's see what we've learned.

So what do you think guys, Will SSD overpower the conventional HDD with its dazzling speeds or will the conventional still continue its hold with its ever increasing storage capacities.

Regards,
Kelly

Sources:Intel's second-generation X25-M solid-state drive - The Tech Report - Page 1 (http://techreport.com/articles.x/17269)

anon
27.07.09, 22:37
So what do you think guys, Will SSD overpower the conventional HDD with its dazzling speeds or will the conventional still continue its hold with its ever increasing storage capacities.

I think they eventually will. But there are a few issues that need to be solved first: capacity is becoming less of a problem, but it's not at the level of current HDDs right now. Price is still high, too.

OSes will also need to become a bit more friendly with them - Vista's SuperFetch is slow poison for SSDs.

boggie1688
27.07.09, 23:59
Price and capacity isn't the issue. In time those are guaranteed to fall.

What you have to consider is that if SSD become cheap enough for everyone to afford then conventional hdds will become really really cheap. So cheap that you can probably buy terabytes for $30-50 dollars. For cheap mass storage, this will be the way to go no matter what. Raid that the crap out of the drives and your set. Just keep the SSD as your main partition for os/programs. Unless your really needs something faster, aka raided SSDs.

The only other problem with SSD is fragmentation. Its a huge issue. One that needs to be resolved. The write speed is another issue for some. And lastly I don't think there is a huge power consumption gain, at least not in the notebook market. Therefore the only real benefit to owning a SSD is access time and maybe the fact that it can take a bigger bump that a conventional HDD. But convential HDDs can handle a beating with all the precautions implemented bumps. Any more Gs and your going to break the computer before the hard drive.

anon
28.07.09, 01:15
Price and capacity isn't the issue. In time those are guaranteed to fall.

Yes, of course. That's what I meant, those issues will eventually be solved.

kelly
28.07.09, 09:40
I agree with you both . SSD & HDDs will coexist atleast for a couple of years, one for its speed & other serving for storage capacities.Albeit , i feel that netbook/laptop market will be dominated by the SSDs for its low power consumption.

boggie1688
28.07.09, 23:36
But its really not that low! If your throw in a SDD you might gain 10 mins of extra battery life. And that is being modest. I've seen reviews of SDD that use more power than conventional hdds.

Having a LED screen vs a LCD screen will net you way more power gains.