PDA

View Full Version : Windows "E" won't include Internet Explorer

anon
13.06.09, 19:03

Windows 7 will be offered in Europe in all of the versions that will be available here in the United States, both 32- and 64-bit, with an "E" at the end of the product name (for instance, Windows 7 Home Premium E). The E versions of Windows 7 will ship at the same time as Windows 7 ships in the rest of the world, and they will be available in 23 European languages.

What does this mean for European consumers? The E versions of Windows 7 will include all the features and functionality of Windows 7 in the rest of the world, other than browsing with Internet Explorer. Computer manufacturers will be able to add any browser they want to their Windows 7 machines, including Internet Explorer, so European consumers who purchase new PCs will be able to access the Internet without any problem. Consumers will also be able to add any Web browser to their PCs, to supplement or replace the browsers preinstalled by their computer manufacturer.

Working to Fulfill our Legal Obligations in Europe for Windows 7 - Microsoft On The Issues (http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2009/06/11/working-to-fulfill-our-legal-obligations-in-europe-for-windows-7.aspx)

As with "N" and its lack of Windows Media Player.

splicer
13.06.09, 19:47
If I'm not mistaken, MicroSoft had to do this because of the EU believing MS was being unfair concerning competition, such as forcing users to use Internet Explorer (in WLM, when you clicked the emails button it always opened in IE) and WLM, and then being incredibly hard to permanently uninstall IE or WMP.

Dynamic
13.06.09, 21:20
I never liked IE and WMP is broken on my vista system so I welcome this change. I wonder if I would be able to use it in the US or will it be only Europe machines...or if that mattered at all.

anon
13.06.09, 21:23
I wonder if I would be able to use it in the US or will it be only Europe machines...or if that mattered at all.

Yes, I doubt that matters too. How are they going to find out in which continent a PC is physically located if it doesn't have an Internet connection, for example?

slikrapid
13.06.09, 21:39
What does this mean for European consumers? The E versions of Windows 7 will include all the features and functionality of Windows 7 in the rest of the world, other than browsing with Internet Explorer.

it was said that this E version will contain a shortcut for installing IE8 for internet access - then you can download any browser you want or you can install any browser you downloaded from another computer that already has some browser connected to the internet - imo unnecessary complications :rolleyes:

like i mentioned before - as long as they don't force you to use it (unlike with win live messenger links) or if you can uninstall it, i don't see a problem with having it on your computer - then you have a choice what you really want to use

SealLion
13.06.09, 21:41
so for NA consumers, what ways could one go about getting one without IE installed??
Maybe Ebay??
but then ebay is specific to one's country I believe, b/c every time I log on, it shows '.ca'
UNless one searches the 'net for some European sellers selling to NA.

slikrapid
13.06.09, 22:37
so for NA consumers, what ways could one go about getting one without IE installed??
UNless one searches the 'net for some European sellers selling to NA.

i wouldn't worry about that, just download and use a different web browser :cool:

if IE8 turns out to be uninstallable i'm sure someone will find a way to do it step by step, or to disable it...

anon
13.06.09, 22:40
if IE8 won't be uninstallable i'm sure someone will find a way to do it step by step, or to disable it...

I think Windows 7 will let you uninstall IE:
Engineering Windows 7 : Beta to RC Changes ? Turning Windows Features On or Off (http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/03/06/beta-to-rc-changes-turning-windows-features-on-or-off.aspx)

SealLion
14.06.09, 00:33
ya. I suppose your right slikrapid. One caould always get a mini version of Windows.