PDA

View Full Version : Google: We're Actually Really Small

SealLion
05.06.09, 04:59
check it out:

How the tech titan plans to argue that it’s not a monopoly.

hree times in the last month, government agencies have targeted Google (GOOG) for antitrust reviews. An outstanding private lawsuit alleges that Google tried to kill a business-to-business search engine with predatory pricing. And during the waning months of the Bush administration, soon-to-be Obama antitrust chief Christine Varney declared that Google "has acquired a monopoly in Internet online advertising." Last month she asserted that the Bush administration had been too lax in combating monopolistic behavior and that the Obama Justice Department would no longer "stand on the sidelines.

See.
Just one more reason why Google-god is great and good.

Here's the link in case you don't beleieve me.

Google: We're Actually Really Small: How the tech titan plans to argue that it?s not a monopoly. | The Big Money (http://www.thebigmoney.com/articles/saga/2009/06/04/google-were-actually-really-small)

anonftw
05.06.09, 05:08
ZOMG ! I use a google service hundreds of times a day. All my family and friends use gmail. I am stuck using the gtalk interface in the webmail interface for those "secret" messages that can't be posted in PMs or on forums. I use google maps as does everyone I know .....goog411 toll free information and business services for free prank phone calls .....google earth ...google images .......bleh :rolleyes2:

SealLion
05.06.09, 05:11
Bow down and worship Google-god, now

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3599/googlegod7487161428542.jpg

Yippeeee...........600 posts!!!!!!

I did it!!!!!!!!!!

Eat me people!!!.....er......maybe not.

anonftw
05.06.09, 05:17
/me bows and worship

Oh yeah, I was once IP banned from all google domains for 12 hours from using a utility called Goolag (http://www.goolag.org/) a little too well. I was seriously internet crippled !

SealLion
05.06.09, 05:20
I remember this site. I had a look around there too at one point. Can't recall how I came across it.

I think stumbleupon'ing while stumbling through the 'hacking' section of the extension.

I"m gonna have a look around there again.

anon
05.06.09, 15:31
Congrats SealLion :smile:

It's the first time I hear about someone being banned from Google - must have been awful! Perhaps you could have used Scroogle in the meantime?

About the main topic, yes, there are other options, but Google Search has already built itself a good reputation, and it also pushed by browsers, etc. having it as the default engine.

But well, people are on their full right to use something else, yes?

SealLion
06.06.09, 07:01
Google is 'de best, yes??
Google-god is all powerful and browzers worship the thing beyond redemption and unto fertility.
And so they should.
Google-god never masquerades as a 'wanna be'.
Google-god is 'de main man.
Google-god is IT!!!

You see. Every day thousands of smart, clever, and intelligent gerbils petition Google-god for thier jelly babies.
And Google-god grants them thier wish.

You see, Google-god is mighty.

So you see, this is why everybody should forget about YahooBoy.
He's a wanna-be.
And yes, of course my friend. People can use what-ever they want.

EDIT: You DO believe everything I tell you,....... don't you??

Oh, and by-the-way.......

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/267/yesa.png

HEy, man!! You can't do that. That's my trademark. :frown:

anon
06.06.09, 17:44
HEy, man!! You can't do that. That's my trademark.

Sorry about that :frown:

There was another question in my post ending with "right?", so I didn't want to repeat the term again and used your style. Somewhere between rewriting it, the "right?" got lost.

Feel free to steal a word from me in return. :biggrin:

SealLion
06.06.09, 18:07
Oh, no worries at all, anon. No worries at all.

I think you know that it was all a joke, anyways,yes??

You can go right ahead and use 'yes' at the end of any sentence you make up. As a matter of fact. I think that all SBI'er's should start using it.
This way, we'll be distinguished and never extinguished from the other cheat board, yes??

LOL. :D

This whole thread for me has become a kind of silly-humor thing, anyways.

But just remmember, Google-God is watching and every word we text, Google-god knows about and keeps records for ever and ever.

There's millions of little gerbils that find thier jellie babies when their looking up stuff on the internet and when they find stuff that we text, Google-god will tell all.

anon
06.06.09, 18:13
Thanks for that. :wink:

By the way, if you put this two-line TXT file in the root of your Web server, Google can no longer "see" it :biggrin:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

SealLion
06.06.09, 18:32
that's cool. How specifically do I do this, then??

That'll be nice.

anon
06.06.09, 18:36
That's only for Web servers - i.e. if you own one, you can put such a file in its root to prevent (almost?) all search engines from crawling your site.

But as a surfer, using CustomizeGoogle for Firefox would be a good start. If you don't use, for example, GMail or any other service requiring you to enable cookies (like me) you can disable them for Google altogether, or even use Scroogle (https://ssl.scroogle.org/).

slikrapid
06.06.09, 20:09
Google-god ....

if you repeat it enough times we might actually believe it :tongue:

Every day thousands of smart, clever, and intelligent gerbils petition Google-god for thier jelly babies.
And Google-god grants them thier wish.

but he is kinda sloppy at it, never knows exactly what you want, so he just spits out whatever he can think of, and since you are a puny human he grants you only 10 pages of jelly babies to pick from :klatsch_3:

You see, Google-god is mighty.
the mightier they get, the harder they fall, yes?? :wink:

or even use Scroogle.

btw they have a funny gallery there with google as the main theme:

http://www.scroogle.org/th/thumbs.html

nishant
06.06.09, 23:51
/me bows and worship

Oh yeah, I was once IP banned from all google domains for 12 hours from using a utility called Goolag (http://www.goolag.org/) a little too well. I was seriously internet crippled !

er, what exactly is Goolag, and why would Google ban you for using it?

anon
06.06.09, 23:52
It appears Goolag is a service letting you search the cDc hacker group database for known exploits.

nishant
07.06.09, 00:31
What are some of these "known exploits" and how are they beneficial to the common user?

anon
07.06.09, 00:34
What are some of these "known exploits"

Their intention is making developers aware of this flaws and give them a way for fix them - sadly, there are script kiddies and lamers that think it's cool to misuse them to hack or crash servers, etc.

SealLion
07.06.09, 00:48
Ok, so does SBI have something akin to prevent the google -god from caching what's texted in here??

I realized to late after posting that it was meant for servers, not for ohter uses. I jjust decided to not edit my post after doing so,.....I got lazy, I guess.

See, slikrapid. I 'm repeating his name. I'm gonna hypnotize you and eventually, you'll start repeating it too. Just by the consistant use of it. :D

anon
07.06.09, 00:51
Ok, so does SBI have something akin to prevent the google -god from caching what's texted in here??

No, since that file controls whether Google can "see" us at all, no one could find us through it if we did. :tongue:

SealLion
07.06.09, 01:23
ok, so when I did a google search for sb-innovation, this is what comes up:

sb-innovation - Google Search (http://www.google.ca/search?q=sb-innovation&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Now you mentioned that no-one could find the it through it, if we did.

You mean the site or the search??

I don't think that I understand completely.

It's either so simple for me that it's actually going right over my head or I'm missing something.

anonftw
07.06.09, 03:25
It appears Goolag is a service letting you search the cDc hacker group database for known exploits.

Also, it is a downloadable scanner program that interfaces google using various exploits "to audit" websites and entire domains for security holes. Doing this in even a mild capacity will get your IP banned. I do not recommend it. Besides most of the exploits incorporated into this utility are mostly public knowledge these days, so access to the previously available information and security holes on the individual servers have been patched up by the sites themselves.

SealLion
07.06.09, 03:35
well, it seems to me anonftw that the easiest way around it then is an IP change then, yes??

That's said on account that your IP is being banned pretty much everywhere you go then when you have the program in use, yes??

anonftw
07.06.09, 03:52
well, it seems to me anonftw that the easiest way around it then is an IP change then, yes??

That's said on account that your IP is being banned pretty much everywhere you go then when you have the program in use, yes??

Oh yes, an IP change will fix you right up, but the ban is only temporary as well. It has been awhile, but I remember it lasting only part of the day. It seemed to have 403 banned from every google subdomain I had tried at the time. I remember going to bed and waking up unbanned on my static IP that I was using back then.

This only happened to me at the time because I used too many search options with the tool and google detected too many hits in a short period of time from my IP address.

SealLion
07.06.09, 03:59
so what kind of search options are there available on this tool that you used??

That is, what would they individually search of while you were browsing and the program was doing it's work??

anonftw
07.06.09, 04:17
so what kind of search options are there available on this tool that you used??

That is, what would they individually search of while you were browsing and the program was doing it's work??

It uses
detailed search patterns that show untapped results for web sites previously indexed by Google. It has been quite a while, but from what I recall it scanned for various items known to be blocked out by the google crawlers due to specified rules that were set in place to prevent the indexing of pieces of code/scripts used by websites as well as certain directories/files on servers that it indexes. (i.e. /etc/passwd) I remember it also scanning ports and subdomains.

SealLion
07.06.09, 06:25
So basically, it just prevented one from accessing certain info on websites. LIke you say...passwords; pics from some album, perhaps; for-your-eyes-only type of info; scripts used to make up a website; ports for accessability..etc..etc..

That sounded like an interestin program that you used, then.

I don't think that I'd use it myself, though. Perhaps just not in my interest. Nontheless, an interesting proggy.

so how exactly did the websites realize that you were scanning??
You mentioned that it audits a website. How wold a website recognize an audit, then??

anonftw
07.06.09, 08:15
Actually most "normal" websites or hosts at the time did not notice such activity unless they had set in place software to monitor excessive activity as a preventative measure against DDOS attacks, set in place bandwidth caps, or flag excessive activity, etc. However, this is more likely to be the case in the current state of things. It was google that mainly noticed the excessive hits from a single location and flagged/blocked the address because they DID monitor such activity and did not/do not tolerate such excessive activity outside of which they would consider a reasonable amount of usage per location. The websites themselves usually did not notice unless you were, for example, grabbing alot of files really fast from an adult website or trying to access a certain portion of the tree structure without proper permissions.

As far as the term "auditing" in this context, it can be applied to computer security or the opposite of such. Basically looking for vulnerabilities for the good or harm of the website in question.

slikrapid
07.06.09, 14:13
so basically google blocked a software that *could* be dangerous, meaning the google-god (:hypnotized: :biggrin:) applied censorship as they saw fit, even though internet users have the 'right' to browse freely and look up any information they want (referring to that hacks database)

as for extensive 'auditing' - it is customary for the site owner to agree to such a procedure before its applied

SealLion
07.06.09, 15:05
ahh. I see. That's actually quite interesting and would also make sense on the methodoloy of how Google-god did things with people who used proggys like the one yours did, anonftw.

I imagine that there's more websites that are protected against some of the vulnerabilities that are audited once thier found out, yes??

See. Look. It worked.

(hypnotized :biggrin: )

One down.
50,000 more to go....I guess.

slikrapid
07.06.09, 15:40
I imagine that there's more websites that are protected against some of the vulnerabilities that are audited once thier found out, yes??

sure, some 'patches' are applied by hosting companies, some by web admins - one of their assignments is to keep up to date with known issues/vulnerabilities announced by different security sites/companies or through a specifically requested audit

One down.
50,000 more to go....I guess.

oh no, it must be less than that by now - google g** made sure of that :eek13:

anon
07.06.09, 19:25
ok, so when I did a google search for sb-innovation, this is what comes up:

<quote>

Now you mentioned that no-one could find the it through it, if we did.

You mean the site or the search??

What I meant is that if we were using such a file to prevent Google from seeing us, we wouldn't show up there. Right now we aren't, that's suicidal. :biggrin:

I don't think that I'd use it myself, though. Perhaps just not in my interest. Nontheless, an interesting proggy.

If you want to know more about this, do a search for "Google dorks". :top: