PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft blocks Messenger in US-embargoed countries

anon
26.05.09, 23:18
Microsoft this week decided to turn off its Windows Live Messenger service for five countries: Cuba, Syria, Iran, Sudan, and North Korea. All five of these countries have a few things in common, but the one that apparently concerns Microsoft is that the US has put embargoes on each of them. Users in these countries get the following error: "810003c1: We were unable to sign you in to the .NET Messenger Service." The user is not informed as to the actual reason for the block. Currently, it's not clear how broad the block is or how long it will last.

Microsoft blocks Messenger in US-embargoed countries - Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/05/microsoft-blocks-messenger-in-us-embargoed-countries.ars)

splicer
26.05.09, 23:29
Great, now American corporations are policing the world and trying to manipulate them.

anon
26.05.09, 23:33
As if there weren't any alternatives - ICQ and Google's GTalk spring to mind, for example.

Also, people from banned countries should still be able connect to MSN Web Messenger or eBuddy through a proxy.

splicer
26.05.09, 23:46
Agreed, but who gave them permission to mess with politics? They aren't even politicians for fuck sake; atleast Obama could restrict trade with, say, North Korea, but MicroSoft feel it necesary to assist in such police work by restricting which nationality of users can or can't use their software - something I believe called prejudice. And not giving a clear reason to this makes it worse! They couldn't have come up with some lame excuse such as there are connectivity problems.

I don't hate Americans; the majority of stuff I have in my home is probably thanks to an American. I do hate the massive egos they drag around telling them they can do what they want because "USA is number 1" and therefore get away with it.

anon
26.05.09, 23:54
Agreed, but who gave them permission to mess with politics? They aren't even politicians for fuck sake

Yes, with that you're right.

And not giving a clear reason to this makes it worse! They couldn't have come up with some lame excuse such as there are connectivity problems.

As far as I know they refused to comment on the block, but have stated that they "don't do business" with the affected countries.