PDA

View Full Version : Two upcoming GMail features

anon
23.05.09, 18:15
Gmail Magic Inbox

Gmail's code reveals an upcoming feature called "magic inbox" or "icebox inbox", which is likely to prioritize the messages sent by your friends and other contacts you email frequently.

Gmail Magic Inbox (http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2009/05/gmail-magic-inbox.html)

Inbox preview

Whenever I open up my inbox at work, I'm never surprised to find several new messages waiting to be read. The same thing can't always be said about my personal Gmail account. Sometimes I end up checking my mail only to find nothing new there.

No big deal, really. But now imagine that you access Gmail on a super slow connection from a remote place in Ethopia where it might take minutes to completely load your inbox. The disappointment is larger when you find out that there is nothing new to read and you could have saved all that time.

To ease this pain a bit, we created a new feature in Gmail Labs called Inbox Preview. While Gmail is loading, a simple, static preview of your inbox with your ten most recent messages is displayed. Turn it on from the Labs tab under Settings, and if you're on a slow connection you'll know from the start if it's worth the wait.

Official Gmail Blog: New in Labs: Inbox preview (http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-in-labs-inbox-preview.html)

SealLion
24.05.09, 15:19
It loads a preview, I see.

I am wondering if this feature is the same as the FF extension called Interclue which allows the user to see what info is held at different links, what info is held (for example) in a PM box, etc.. all before actually going to the link.

Nevertheless, it does sound like an interesting feature that Gmail will have.

Blocker
24.05.09, 17:43
Sounds great the magic inbox, Gmail is the best for me! big store space and no spam in comparision with yahoo and hotmail.

anon
24.05.09, 21:52
I am wondering if this feature is the same as the FF extension called Interclue which allows the user to see what info is held at different links, what info is held (for example) in a PM box, etc.. all before actually going to the link.

I don't have Interclue installed myself, but from what I have read and seen both are quite similar. However, the Inbox preview seems to focus on transferring only the ten most recent messages, to save time and bandwidth.

takomania
27.05.09, 11:24
the only thing i wish gmail would add is the only thing they pride themselves on not having - folders!

their star system is ok, and the ability to search through your inbox at such a crazy speed is good too, but i do miss having folders...