PDA

View Full Version : All your movies on a single DVD

anon
21.05.09, 17:27
Australian scientists have unveiled new DVD technology that stores data in five dimensions, making it possible to pack more than 2000 movies onto a single disc.

A team of researchers at the Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, have used nanotechnology to boost the storage potential nearly 10,000-fold compared to standard DVDs, according to a study published in the peer-reviewed journal Nature.

"We were able to show how nanostructured material can be incorporated onto a disc in order to increase data capacity, without increasing the physical size of the disc," said Min Gu, who led the team.

Discs currently have three spatial dimensions. By using gold nanorods Gu and colleagues were able to add two additional dimensions, one based on the colour spectrum, and the other on polarisation.

All your movies on a single DVD - Technology - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/news/home/technology/store-all-your-movies-on-a-single-dvd/2009/05/21/1242498857369.html)

slikrapid
21.05.09, 20:29
think about the gains: smaller number of needed media
think about the losses: when it becomes unreadable :shockkk!:
think about the time: needed to burn or read from it
think about our current hard drives: still a bottleneck

yoco
21.05.09, 22:28
That sounds awsome! Can you imagine only one DVD and 2000 movies :eek3: :top:

alpacino
22.05.09, 01:31
Unless it will have a good error correction I think it will fail even with small scratches.

Sony promissed Blu-ray media are far more durable than dvd discs, that... is yet to be seen. Here in my city if you want to rent movies, one must rent as soon as they are out, or else suffer from DREs all the movie long (when it plays that is).

Dynamic
22.05.09, 03:13
All I can say is EXPENSIVE! I wonder what type of equipment you will need to even be able to read the disk and how much it would cost!

Blocker
22.05.09, 04:17
:shockkk!: Wow sounds awesome!! the technology is growing fast. Maybe Blue-ray and/or HD should be obslolete in just few years

vin123321
23.05.09, 22:00
All I can say is EXPENSIVE! I wonder what type of equipment you will need to even be able to read the disk and how much it would cost!
Just remember how much CD burners were, along with DVD burners :wink: